• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

From what I’m seeing the EPS is your best hope ens mean through Jan 10. 

The other two aren’t horrible per se but the EPS is in a different implication space -

It carries the -EPO and appears to even resurge the block during the first week … and has established the continental loading conveyor.  Cold look given time. 

The operational version wants a more consolidated jet downstream of the EPO which causes the jet to stay west. The behavior of the EPS suggests split flow however as PAC wave space (quite impressive for this range actually) gets injected underneath the Alaskan sector. Meanwhile… running over top the northern branch of the split downstream would probably keep it colder from the Great Lakes to New England compared to the operational version which would have a flat ridge there.

I mentioned the way to combat the  -EPO warm pulse through the east is to bifurcate the streams - it’s interesting that EPS structures that way but the op goes a less split direction. For winter enthusiast the upshot of these differences is that of the two the EPS is likely to be more accurate beyond day 7. Kind of goes without saying really… I would be surprised if the euro op looked the same on the next run.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BRSno said:

Just be thankful you’re not a South Florida weenie. forever chasing something that will never ever arrive. 

40s as lows for NYE is about as much as I could ask for. 

Left Eastie in summer 2019 and have not yet recovered. I will die on the “Deer Island isn’t a suitable measuring spot” hill. 

I flew up last weekend hoping maybe I’d get some now. Had my flight canceled due to rain on Monday (12/18) 

Oh yeah I remember you posting here in some of the greats. Didn’t realize you moved to FL. Gonna have to do a weenie storm chase when you get a chance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRSno said:

Just be thankful you’re not a South Florida weenie. forever chasing something that will never ever arrive. 

40s as lows for NYE is about as much as I could ask for. 

Left Eastie in summer 2019 and have not yet recovered. I will die on the “Deer Island isn’t a suitable measuring spot” hill. 

I flew up last weekend hoping maybe I’d get some now. Had my flight canceled due to rain on Monday (12/18) 

Enjoy S FL

Take up pickle ball if your on Naples side or enjoy the beaches and scenery on SE side 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Who said the 20th? Steve? Didn’t many say the week after Christmas is when things start to change?

I will admit December has been uglier than I imagined and I did not imagine a good month. 

I said beyond the 20th for the best this season has to offer. 

3 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Early in the December thread the date was December 20. We punt.

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yup. Goalposts be moving 

No. The only can kicking was the improved Pacific from mid December to early January. However, the big blocking and most favorable stretch has always been pegged for later January and February. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It’s interesting in that day 8 to 13 range how different the flavor of the GEFs are to the EPS.  It’ll be interesting to see which side caves

It seems every time one model shows something good happening two weeks out and the other shows it not so good. The good model caves to the bad outcome. We have yet to see a bad outcome cave for a good outcome.... Emphasize " yet "

2 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

It seems every time one model shows something good happening two weeks out and the other shows it not so good. The good model caves to the bad outcome. We have yet to see a bad outcome cave for a good outcome.... Emphasize " yet "

I like the GEFS better for early January.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Who said the 20th? Steve? Didn’t many say the week after Christmas is when things start to change?

I will admit December has been uglier than I imagined and I did not imagine a good month. 

I mean there was no snow but it really wasn't absurdly warm for most of the month. A few days ago I clocked about 10 degrees which is a pretty run of the mill minimum low for December. I guess these days I really don't expect winter to arrive until January so I wasn't disappointed much, especially given the euro's unambitious outlook early-on.

1 minute ago, kazimirkai said:

I mean there was no snow but it really wasn't absurdly warm for most of the month. A few days ago I clocked about 10 degrees which is a pretty run of the mill minimum low for December. I guess these days I really don't expect winter to arrive until January so I wasn't disappointed much, especially given the euro's unambitious outlook early-on.

I think December will be like +5 for us....I expected +1 to +3.

Was it around 1989/1990 that we had no snow all the way into Canada? My brother is 6 years older than me and he had a school ski trip to some place in Canada and there was no snow- just warm temps rain and muddy conditions. If it was his senior year it would have been 89/90. I feel like we are repeating that.

• Weenie 1

From Attitash regarding the opening of their new high-speed quad: "The Mountaineer is operational and ready to ride. However, due to the extensive rain and warm temperatures, our trails off the summit will not be ready for this holiday break. We will be pushing back our Cheers to the Mountaineer celebration."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1