Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

Those temps are obscene. 

Also, I don’t begrudge people for their preferences and absolutely respect them. But I don’t want 60 degree weather here in winter, ever. It’s just wrong, unseasonable, and actually truly makes me depressed. So yes, it’s dreary and chilly and wet which sucks, but I’ll still take it over whatever the hell DC is getting right now. 

I always look at it, too, like this; we have warmth, heat, and humidity to contend with almost all year these days. We don’t need warmth in the winter, because even having said that we still often get it anyway, and unfortunately often at the worst times (bad air masses ruining snow chances, etc). We often say “it just needs to be cold enough to snow,” and yeah, isn’t that the crux of it? Unfortunately the last few years, it simply hasn’t been for many events that rained throughout almost the whole Metro.

Give me the cold, always. I’ve mentioned this before but didn’t @bluewavepost last year that for NYC, seasonal snow totals correlated to DJF average temperatures, to a point? And that the higher the average got above 35 or 36, the lower the seasonal snow totals? So I never cheer on warmth here in the winter, personally. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SACRUS said:

A compact coastal snowstorm, briefly heralded as the Blizzard of '87, brushed by the New York City region yesterday, but buffeted much of southern New Jersey and parts of the New England coast with high winds and heavy snows.

The storm, spawned by another snowstorm in the Great Lakes on Sunday in which two people died, started off Cape Hatteras, N.C., and raced along the coast, sparking a winter thunderstorm in Philadelphia and gale-force gusts from Cape May, N.J., to Cape Cod, Mass.

One to three inches of snow fell in most of New York City, Long Island, Connecticut, northern New Jersey and Westchester County, where one motorist was killed and five others were injured in a four-car accident that the police said may have been weather-related.

Eight to twelve inches of snow, however, fell in parts of southern New Jersey, which was buried under 12 to 18 inches on Jan. 26-28. ''It's a mess,'' said Claire Lindholm, a police dispatcher in Cape May, which received 10 inches of snow and opened its civic center as a winter shelter for the first time. ''But we are getting used to it.'' Storm Downgraded

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/02/10/nyregion/snowstorm-just-brushes-new-york.html

19870125-19870126-1.19.jpg

just a few days prior

19870121-19870123-5.40.jpg

This is the one I was referring to in 2022.

image.png.178ff1b8829bd14b2aac97be49889de8.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lee59 said:

Looks like another storm passing near the benchmark on Sunday-Monday. Might have been a decent winter snow wise, just needed some cold air.

This part of the winter is like 97-98 great storm tracks but no cold air

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mattinpa said:

I am pretty freaked out by that 80. I know there is climate change, but wow!

We are just fortunate that these monthly maximum temperature extremes since 2015 have occurred closer to the cool season. Not sure if the power grid is up to the record demand 110° during the summer would produce. That’s roughly what a February 2018 and October 2019 magnitude warmth would look like in July. 

Time Series Summary for NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP, NJ - Month of Feb
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2018 80 0
2 1949 76 0
3 2017 74 0
- 1997 74 0
- 1954 74 0

Time Series Summary for NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP, NJ - Month of Oct
Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2019 96 0
2 1941 93 0
3 1949 92 0
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We are just fortunate that these monthly maximum temperature extremes since 2015 have occurred closer to the cool season. Not sure if the power grid is up to the record demand 110° during the summer would produce. That’s roughly what a February 2018 and October 2019 magnitude warmth would look like in July. 

Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2018 80 0
2 1949 76 0
3 2017 74 0
- 1997 74 0
- 1954 74 0

Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2019 96 0
2 1941 93 0
3 1949 92 0

is the 80 in DC the all time January record for them?

58 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2018 80 0
2 1949 76 0
3 2017 74 0
- 1997 74 0
- 1954 74 0

Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2019 96 0
2 1941 93 0
3 1949 92 0

110 in the summer can never happen here, we have a maritime climate here in the summer lol

We can handle the occasional 100-102 okay I think, I've never had a power outage during a heatwave.

3 hours ago, BucksCO_PA said:

What is really remarkable about DC hitting 80 today is this is over 3-1/2 wks. ahead of the earliest 80 degree day on record - 2/21/2018. The average 1st 80 day over the entire POR back to 1872 is 4/5. Since 2000 that average date is 3/25.

DC has only recorded (4) 80 degree days during the month of FEB, just wow

wow so this is the January record

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2018 80 0
2 1949 76 0
3 2017 74 0
- 1997 74 0
- 1954 74 0

Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2019 96 0
2 1941 93 0
3 1949 92 0

Eventually our luck with these north-based Bermuda highs and ridges that drive in S winds and the worst heat overshoots north will end and we'll torch on W and WNW flow again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BucksCO_PA said:

The earliest 80 degree days at PHL & Central Park are 3/8 & 3/13 respectively. 

and 85 at Central Park is almost as early.... I believe Central Park hit 85 or higher on 3/15/1990? We had a string of three straight days in the mid 80s in mid March 1990, that's when we had the really long summers that started in March and ended in September lol

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Eventually our luck with these north-based Bermuda highs and ridges that drive in S winds and the worst heat overshoots north will end and we'll torch on W and WNW flow again. 

Hopefully soon, because that will mean lower humidity!

Low humidity 100 degree heat is great running weather!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Hopefully soon, because that will mean lower humidity!

Low humidity 100 degree heat is great running weather!

I just got heat stroke imagining your comment. Too funny how people differ, I don’t run but only hike below 60 degrees. Anything warmer I get on the treadmill. Nov to April is my hiking season, lol.

To be fair I’m way different from most and probably a bit mad, but yeah! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2018 80 0
2 1949 76 0
3 2017 74 0
- 1997 74 0
- 1954 74 0

Rank
Year
Highest Max Temperature 
Missing Count
1 2019 96 0
2 1941 93 0
3 1949 92 0

Was October 2019 the same one it hit 95 at JFK?

We had a heat index of 100 that afternoon lol

That has to be the latest heat index of 100 or temperature of 95 at JFK on record.

1 minute ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I just got heat stroke imagining your comment. Too funny how people differ, I don’t run but only hike below 60 degrees. Anything warmer I get on the treadmill. 

To be fair I’m way different from most, but yeah! 

I think because I used to spend a lot of time in the SW when I was little and it's fun to go running in the morning with really low humidity.  The nights were also cool and comfortable!

• Like 1

Today was another day ruled by clouds, mist, drizzle and light rain in the New York City and Newark areas. Temperatures were confined to the lower and middle 40s. At Philadelphia and Wilmington, DE, the mercury rose into the lower 50s.

Farther south, it was a whole different season. The thermometer soared into the upper 70s and even 80°. Washington, DC reached 80°, setting a January monthly record. That was also its earliest 80° or above temperature on record (old record: February 21, 2018).

High temperatures in parts of the Mid-Atlantic area included:

Baltimore: 78°
Charlottesville, VA: 80° (old record: 74°, 1950)
Georgetown, DE: 73°
Norfolk: 77° (tied record set in 1950)
Richmond: 78°
Salisbury, MD: 75° (old record: 73°, 1950)
Sterling, VA: 79° (old record: 70°, 1967) ***New January record***
Wallops Island, VA: 76° (old record: 64°, 2017) ***New January record***
Washington, DC: 80° (old record: 79°, 1950) ***New January record***

Even with temperatures hanging on in the lower and middle 40s, overall readings were milder than the seasonal average. The remainder of January will likely wind up generally warmer than normal with the exception of perhaps a transient shot of cold. No strong Arctic shots appear likely.

As a result, January will wind up as a warmer than normal month and Winter 2023-24 will become yet another warmer than normal winter in the New York City and Philadelphia areas. The generally mild conditions could continue into the first week of February with only brief interruptions.

A storm will bring additional rain to the region later this weekend into early next week. The rain could end as a period of wet snow in New York City. Accumulating snow is likely well north and west of New York City and across central New England and in higher elevations.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +0.8°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.7°C for the week centered around January 17. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +1.10°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.92°C. A basinwide El Niño event is ongoing. The ongoing El Niño event has recently peaked and will continue to fade.

The SOI was -2.40 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.658 today.

On January 24 the MJO was in Phase 6 at an amplitude of 2.354 (RMM). The January 23-adjusted amplitude was 2.586 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied near 100% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal January (1991-2020 normal). January will likely finish with a mean temperature near 36.6° (2.9° above normal).

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Today was another day ruled by clouds, mist, drizzle and light rain in the New York City and Newark areas. Temperatures were confined to the lower and middle 40s. At Philadelphia and Wilmington, DE, the mercury rose into the lower 50s.

Farther south, it was a whole different season. The thermometer soared into the upper 70s and even 80°. Washington, DC reached 80°, setting a January monthly record. That was also its earliest 80° or above temperature on record (old record: February 21, 2018).

High temperatures in parts of the Mid-Atlantic area included:

Baltimore: 78°
Charlottesville, VA: 80° (old record: 74°, 1950)
Georgetown, DE: 73°
Norfolk: 77° (tied record set in 1950)
Richmond: 78°
Salisbury, MD: 75° (old record: 73°, 1950)
Sterling, VA: 79° (old record: 70°, 1967) ***New January record***
Wallops Island, VA: 76° (old record: 64°, 2017) ***New January record***
Washington, DC: 80° (old record: 79°, 1950) ***New January record***

Even with temperatures hanging on in the lower and middle 40s, overall readings were milder than the seasonal average. The remainder of January will likely wind up generally warmer than normal with the exception of perhaps a transient shot of cold. No strong Arctic shots appear likely.

As a result, January will wind up as a warmer than normal month and Winter 2023-24 will become yet another warmer than normal winter in the New York City and Philadelphia areas. The generally mild conditions could continue into the first week of February with only brief interruptions.

A storm will bring additional rain to the region later this weekend into early next week. The rain could end as a period of wet snow in New York City. Accumulating snow is likely well north and west of New York City and across central New England and in higher elevations.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +0.8°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.7°C for the week centered around January 17. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +1.10°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.92°C. A basinwide El Niño event is ongoing. The ongoing El Niño event has recently peaked and will continue to fade.

The SOI was -2.40 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.658 today.

On January 24 the MJO was in Phase 6 at an amplitude of 2.354 (RMM). The January 23-adjusted amplitude was 2.586 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied near 100% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal January (1991-2020 normal). January will likely finish with a mean temperature near 36.6° (2.9° above normal).

Don a small point, was the high at DCA 80 or 81?  I saw a tweet that said it was 81? And did Dulles get any higher than 79?