Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024

wdrag

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, the competing Maritime MJO forces in December actually enhanced the El Niño effect making it much warmer for the US than usual. So instead of the regular vanilla Canadian ridge, we got one of the strongest on record producing one of the warmest Decembers on record. The final composite for December was  similar to a MJO 7 Nino composite that locked in due to the near record forcing over the WPAC near 7. Our last El Niño in December 2015 featured more record warmth centered further east due to the MJO 5 pattern getting stuck in place. 

Now the record westward forcing into the IO is producing more of a La Niña type pattern in January with a -PNA and Southeast ridge developing. The most recent extended GEFS keeps this pattern going well into January. While anything past 2 weeks is uncertain, we have seen these robust -PNAs in recent years last longer than expected. 

A6A41510-5E25-4ECD-B6E5-D8713FB81ABD.thumb.png.d26dcccb7ceb5166fdff85144304bfe2.png

0E9D9A2E-C575-4C91-9F9F-EC4E17982A0A.thumb.png.e4856a9423c702c7ee1f37a5c843e681.png

7F849403-25FD-4655-941F-8ECA197CCC07.thumb.png.261d565df2f04e990f60435afb2a5d89.png

Yes. Good post and same page. I remain hopeful post 20th.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, the competing Maritime MJO forces in December actually enhanced the El Niño effect making it much warmer for the US than usual. So instead of the regular vanilla Canadian ridge, we got one of the strongest on record producing one of the warmest Decembers on record. The final composite for December was  similar to a MJO 7 Nino composite that locked in due to the near record forcing over the WPAC near 7. Our last El Niño in December 2015 featured more record warmth centered further east due to the MJO 5 pattern getting stuck in place. 

Now the record westward forcing into the IO is producing more of a La Niña type pattern in January with a -PNA and Southeast ridge developing. The most recent extended GEFS keeps this pattern going well into January. While anything past 2 weeks is uncertain, we have seen these robust -PNAs in recent years last longer than expected. 

A6A41510-5E25-4ECD-B6E5-D8713FB81ABD.thumb.png.d26dcccb7ceb5166fdff85144304bfe2.png

0E9D9A2E-C575-4C91-9F9F-EC4E17982A0A.thumb.png.e4856a9423c702c7ee1f37a5c843e681.png

7F849403-25FD-4655-941F-8ECA197CCC07.thumb.png.261d565df2f04e990f60435afb2a5d89.png

Thanks for this.

We have definitely been in a predominant west coast trough, save 2021/2022, for the last five years excluding the current year. You have pointed out the IO and western Pacific temps as the driver which does make sense. 

From a learning perspective, what drove the continuous west coast ridge from 2000 through 2018? 2013 through 2015 was the east based negative EPO, however what drove the remaining years? Were the warmer water departures in a more favorable spot continuously through this period?

I am actually seeing the benefits of the west coast troughing now as the southern California reservoirs have made a DRAMATIC, incredible come back and the snowpack has increased tremendously which is great! I believe the last time they had these levels were from the El nino periods of the 80s and 90s (I used to think that all the ski movies of the 80s were due to the fact that it always snowed there non stop lol). The predominant west coast Ridge from 2000 through 2018 was the driver in the reservoir issues out west.

Finally, if one maritime force drove the west coast ridge from 2000 through 2018, and now another above normal ocean temperature location is driving the west coast troughing, what do we look for in terms of the next maritime driver location? What mechanism would drive this change? The favorable location lasted from 2000 through 2018, so unfortunately this may last another 10 years plus lol.

Finally, why are the western Pacific Ocean temps skyrocketing faster than other locations? I understand there is a lot of development in that area, however, water currents are continuous so it's hard to believe that industrial activities would be driving that one area.

Thank thanks!

19 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Which means that day when he finally forecasts snow, it's definitely going to snow. 

Bluewave can be plenty bullish on snow when the right pattern comes around. But I remember leading up to the Jan 22 blizzard that he and Don S were against a big impact for NYC because of the +AO (with stats to prove it) and they were right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Bluewave has been a step ahead every forecaster for years now 

2 hours ago, MJO812 said:

I have been on bluewave and allsnow so far this winter but they have been accurate .

I think my December call was okay....my only regret is not including 2015 as an analog for December, however, I doubled up on it for January.

prism-conus-conus-tmax_f_anom_30day_back.png

DEC ANALOG TEMPS.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Bluewave can be plenty bullish on snow when the right pattern comes around. But I remember leading up to the Jan 22 blizzard that he and Don S were against a big impact for NYC because of the +AO (with stats to prove it) and they were right. 

Was that the one where LI got blasted with over 20 Inches ?

• Like 1

Just now, MJO812 said:

You also have been accurate 

I would say they have been better, but I feel like some have the impression I was forecasting a 2002-2003, 2009-2010 redux and that isn't true.

As far as February being in trouble, it will take more than the weeklies to convince me of that, as they have been crap....but if that were to happen, then that would effectively sink my outlook.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Yeah, tired of the 80 comparisons. We currently close to two years without a inch of snow 

The better comparison would be 1996 through 2000, where Central Park averaged just 11.125 inches of snow! Let's see how this year shakes out as well as next year, as we could challenge that 4 year abismal stretch.

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yeah the better comparison would be 1996 through 2000, where Central Park averaged just 11.125 inches of snow! Let's see how this year shakes out as well as next year, as we could challenge that 4 year abismal stretch.

Yea, that was a another Pacific cold phase stretch.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Well, December actually acted like a true strong El nino background state with the entire continent void of arctic air (flooded by PAC air). 

As for January, we do see the trough dip first out west, the million dollar question is will the trough move east with time. If it's just 1 to 2 weeks that's fine. If not we are waiting for shorter wavelengths in Feb and March (and unfortunately April which has been cool and dreary lately).

Also, WRT the la Nina/trough out west look, are we saying this has never happened before in a strong El Nino? We never experienced a western trough in strong El nino history in January? Not sure but perhaps Don or Bluewave knows. 

After such a Pac Jet extension you will generally have a retraction of sorts, which is that trough you see develop across the W US. It's normal and inherently part of any sort of pattern change to right the ship to a pattern most people want to see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, It's Always Sunny said:

After such a Pac Jet extension you will generally have a retraction of sorts, which is that trough you see develop across the W US. It's normal and inherently part of any sort of pattern change to right the ship to a pattern most people want to see.

This is how I view it, but we'll see.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes. Good post and same page. I remain hopeful post 20th.

I think the reason the pattern changes since December 2015 have been so dramatic is possibly related to non-linear shifts. Many expect to see linear gradual changes over time. But it appears we have crossed a barrier where the record SSTs in the warmer MJO regions have lead to more of a jump rather than a gradual change. While it remains to be seen how this will play out in the future, I will continue to have an open mind and take a wait and see approach long term until we have more years of data to make a firm conclusion either way. But in the mean time, it has proven to be a useful forecast tool. This paper discusses non-linear shifts but still looks very general and I am not sure if it’s the authors intentions to apply more generally to stuck or repeating weather patterns.

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2022GL101499

• Like 3