Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

6 minutes ago, Brady said:

It’s a shame your sub forum is the way it is. It’s like a total different vibe there compared to here and the NE sub forum 

Yeah they’re saying that models will correct warmer as polar air modifies moving south. That may be true, but the models are already accounting for that and we don’t need it colder than “cold enough” else we risk suppression. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

What year was it that the pattern flipped in early January with an event that kicked off a heater for the rest of the winter? 2015? 

Kinda feels like we are heading that way (different patterns yadda yadda). :weenie:

Maybe you're thinking 2014.

2015 as all backloaded didn't get going until the arctic front and heavy squall around Valentine's day.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

What year was it that the pattern flipped in early January with an event that kicked off a heater for the rest of the winter? 2015? 

Kinda feels like we are heading that way (different patterns yadda yadda). :weenie:

13-14 was kinda wall to wall. Early Dec produced (very good N-W). Late Dec got super warm and freaked everyone out. By first week of Jan it completely flipped and we got a moderate cold storm (Jan 7th maybe?).  History after that... I'll never forget the all snow/cold west track... super anomalous. 

2015 was an epic disaster until Vday. Pure insanity in SNE. Was hard to watch lol

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Yeah they’re saying that models will correct warmer as polar air modifies moving south. That may be true, but the models are already accounting for that and we don’t need it colder than “cold enough” else we risk suppression. 

The same crew harping about snow cover lacking this winter are the same crew last winter saying all the above normal snow cover in Canada didn’t mean anything in regards to a colder outcome 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

13-14 was kinda wall to wall. Early Dec produced (very good N-W). Late Dec got super warm and freaked everyone out. By first week of Jan it completely flipped and we got a moderate cold storm (Jan 7th maybe?).  History after that... I'll never forget the all snow/cold west track... super anomalous. 

2015 was an epic disaster until Vday. Pure insanity in SNE. Was hard to watch lol

We had a few small events in 14-15 prior to mid-February, but people here were absolutely losing their minds because SNE was having an absolute parade of KUs and we were smoking cirrus. The 3-4 weeks starting at Valentine’s Day changed our opinion quickly of that winter.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

We had a few small events in 14-15 prior to mid-February, but people here were absolutely losing their minds because SNE was having an absolute parade of KUs and we were smoking cirrus. The 3-4 weeks starting at Valentine’s Day changed our opinion quickly of that winter.

One of the problems with the year following a big year is expectations get totally out of whack lol. Boxing day 2010 was an incredibly bitter pill to swallow after the previous winter. I refused to believe it wouldn't work out cuz we were a blizzard town back then hahaha

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

More legitimate signs of the nao going negative on all guidance towards the second week of Jan. This signal is becoming more stable and consistent than the teases we were getting before. This would be right on schedule.   Remember typically it’s not “nao goes neg and we instantly get a parade of snows”. While I’m excited for the potential in the Jan 1-6 range, cape covered it well,  blocking would offer us an extended window beyond and history suggests we would be very likely to eventually cash in in a  big way. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stormy said:

Yesterday afternoon, the 18z GFS op. made some flawed assumptions IMO that culminated in a major snowstorm for our region around Jan. 6 - 7.

IMO, a very erratic track would not survive the test of time and I so stated my opinion. It did not survive the test of time. Period, Stop

The period between Dec. 28 - Jan. 10 should be active and produce some snow for most of us. I believe most of us agree or at least hope for this reality. Accurate details are not available at this early date.  Early speculation will likely change, but that is ok for those who wish to speculate. I will not criticize those who throw cold water on my ideas. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Enjoy your life and now I begin a busy day.

Next time just ask where the restroom is and to be excused.  No need to do that in front of us. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

55 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I believe that was mostly February into early March 2015.  I don't recall all that much prior to about mid-Feb, then we got on a heater for about 3-4 weeks straight!  And that February was COOOOLD, like -9 or -10 on the month for temps!

48 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Ahhh, semi :ph34r:'d by Chill!  You're right, now that you mention it I do recall SNE getting hammered by a couple of storms late Jan or early Feb in 2015 and we got fooked.  Then yeah, Feb. 14 was that Arctic blast and intense snow squalls for an hour or so, got 2" where I am!  I still consider that to be the best or one of the best "mini" events I've experienced here!  And Bob, I still somehow recall you mentioning that you were out grilling during that snow burst, taking it all in!! 

46 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

One of the problems with the year following a big year is expectations get totally out of whack lol. The Storm Which Shall Not Be Named 2010 was an incredibly bitter pill to swallow after the previous winter. I refused to believe it wouldn't work out cuz we were a blizzard town back then hahaha

FYP, translated into Harry Potter-ese for ya!  We're not supposed to actually say the name of that...event! :lol:  But you're right, coming off that previous winter, and with Dec. 2010 being cold, I think a lot of expectations in here were off-kilter and unrealistic.  Now, it's the opposite vibe.  Several meh to lousy winters and the mood is total defeat, and if a butterfly farts and causes one cycle of an ops model to look slightly less good, it's a freak-out!

I see 3 possibilities between Jan 1 and Jan 8. 

The first is a long shot because it’s suppressed and OTS at this moment, but still time for it to change. Recent gfs run trended closer to the coast actually. If we could get better spacing vs the storm before it, it might actually turn into something. 

Second is Jan 3-4, a weak slider (you can see it on the mslp anomaly panel on the ensembles). 

Third is Jan 6-8, a more sig wave that Bob Chill was talking about wrt gulf moisture feed. It’s also on the mslp anomaly panel.

Those are the 3 to watch.

IMG_5794.thumb.png.15b6e68e560f3e55bcfd245fcfc5d6fa.pngIMG_5795.thumb.png.0fc0ddc48e7e66505e0f5210ede42701.pngIMG_5796.thumb.png.ebdd18fd412527127ed738908b3a2ac4.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, frd said:

Your in top form @CAPE. Appreciate the updates.  Not posting as much because I have suffered medical issues and surgery, but your posts cheer me up every morning. 

I am really hopeful for snowfall in early Jan. Things looking better and better.  

Get better dude

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Listen, hold off on the storm talk until I return from Mexico on the 2nd.  If you root for a storm and it comes on the 1st, there’s going to be mysterious “server down” messages on the board from like 12/30-1/1. I’m at a bar at DFW waiting on my next flight and Cape’s posts have mitigated the anger that i paid $37 for a shrimp po boy and a beer. I don’t need this stress worrying about 1/1. 

Where is Chuck and his fever dream posts when you need them? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 29

22 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Listen, hold off on the storm talk until I return from Mexico on the 2nd.  If you root for a storm and it comes on the 1st, there’s going to be mysterious “server down” messages on the board from like 12/30-1/1. I’m at a bar at DFW waiting on my next flight and Cape’s posts have mitigated the anger that i paid $37 for a shrimp po boy and a beer. I don’t need this stress worrying about 1/1. 

Where is Chuck and his fever dream posts when you need them? 

I’m also not here till the 2nd so I’ll slip you an extra 5 bucks if that mysteriously happens.