Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec/Jan Medium/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

8 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Isn't the CMC the #2 model after the euro as far as verification scores?  I mean they are all useless at 240 hrs, but doesn't seem like there's any reason to discount the CMC vs the GFS.

I dont know.  But I'd trust CMC - as in Christian McCaffrey- for a weather simulation over the CMC.

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

what? because the snowfall mean doesn't look great? the pattern progression is moving along as expected

I agree but  i think some  of  us want to see the snow and  cold progressing along as well. Hopefully  it will

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

those aren't of much use... they're 5 day means that start on the 27th, which includes the torch ahead of the cutter. that warm surge has trended stronger

the overall 500mb pattern change is still moving forward in time. also, you need the 500mb change before any snow can result. don't wanna put the cart before the horse

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Oh no! An Aleutian ridge

The LR pattern is "ok", the heights are kind of low despite being somewhat favorable in the index areas. We have not, since the El Nino developed, seen a long sustained +PNA, so let's see what happens. I'm a little worried about the roll forward Dec +EPO-Upper Midwest warm look.  If the pattern changes and blocking develops up north great, but the Aleutian low looks favorable for 4-5 days then it phases out a bit on the current models. 

The 'Aleutian' low is still there-it is just shifted further NW in the LR. With the PAC jet forecast to retract, the exit region of the jet core is shifted westward, which influences the location of the lower(higher) h5 heights and surface pressure.  The forecast PAC low position (below) reinforces the EPO ridge. When the Jet extends again the exit region of the jet core will be closer to the US west coast, favoring a PAC low positioned eastward over the Aleutians or closer to the GoA, and +PNA chances will increase. There are other factors ofc, but the NPAC jet is ever present and a major driver that influences the strength/position of features at 500 mb.

1704456000-Hqovql41iTo.png

1704456000-0sTcmsFBNkg.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Chris78 said:

Bam cherry picked that map. The GEFS is colder overall at 850s through the end of the run. Click through on TT and you'll see.

yea they are warmongers...more than Eric Webb....i guess i was hoping to see that snowfall chart light up a bit more today with 2 straight days of good runs within 15 days

• Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

those are heights, not thicknesses

Thank you. 

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

yea they are warmongers...more than Eric Webb....i guess i was hoping to see that snowfall chart light up a bit more today with 2 straight days of good runs within 15 days

They were honking about low natural gas futures back in autumn and calling for a wall-to-wall torch this winter. I wonder if they're worried about having egg on their face.

16 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

those aren't of much use... they're 5 day means that start on the 27th, which includes the torch ahead of the cutter. that warm surge has trended stronger

the overall 500mb pattern change is still moving forward in time. also, you need the 500mb change before any snow can result. don't wanna put the cart before the horse

I feel shocked, Cotton.

7 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Thank you. 

They were honking about low natural gas futures back in autumn and calling for a wall-to-wall torch this winter. I wonder if they're worried about having egg on their face.

they seem to change their tune daily....i think most of it is to troll winter fans

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Bam cherry picked that map. The GEFS is colder overall at 850s through the end of the run. Click through on TT and you'll see.

They have gone cold and snowy in the East the last three years and have done poorly. This year the forecast from BAMM WX  is a warmer than usual winter, and below normal snowfall.  

They believed in the extreme - EPO forecasts from a couple years back and that did not work out.  Have to see how the season ends and whether they will be correct.   

• Weenie 1

Stongest signal yet for a major SSWE. We all know we do not require one to have meaningful snow events, however, concerns of a very cold and very strong PV are much diminshed currently.

What this may help is, raising the odds of significant winter weather in ealy to mid Feb matching up with previous MECS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Oh no! An Aleutian ridge

The LR pattern is "ok", the heights are kind of low despite being somewhat favorable in the index areas. We have not, since the El Nino developed, seen a long sustained +PNA, so let's see what happens. I'm a little worried about the roll forward Dec +EPO-Upper Midwest warm look.  If the pattern changes and blocking develops up north great, but the Aleutian low looks favorable for 4 days then it phases out a bit on the current models.    The roll forward is a -PNA look, so this is the make or break time.. all global models showed a cold January, and this is the time it should happen if it's going to happen (LR ensembles are at Jan 4-5+)

1. Does that roll into an eastern ridge though in a Nino with a weak SPV and amplified STJ?  That driver has different downstream impacts based on other factors. So long as the pacific ridge extends over the top onto western Canada the energy that crashes into the west should track east not get stuck and amplify out west. 
2. that’s likely temporary as the mjo progresses across the MC. So long as it’s only a week or so with cold established ahead of it we can survive and even snow during the period with luck. 

It’s very possible we do get a temporary period mid January with a bit too much pna trough but when the pattern reloads and the the mjo leaves the MC watch out with a colder profile already established across N America. 

• Like 2