Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

10 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

They have a mobile version but for "Windows phone" only (I don't even know if M$ makes a phone anymore although I think they still have the Surface tablet).

http://www.grlevelx.com/mrlevel3/

RadarScope is probably the best bet for mobile (also recommended by users of the GRLevelX products).

RadarOmega is also nice for mobile.  RadarScope has a program for Windows and Mac, as well.  Best bet for the price.   I have GR3, GR2A, and RS for Windows.  More than half of the time, I just open RS.  And it's less than 10% of the price of the other two combined.  lol

• Thanks 1

Meanwhile out here in Siberia, I mean Laramie WY, the airport got down to -30° last night and driving around outside town my car read -40°. That's not wind chill, but actual air temperature! Certainly have never felt such cold air before in my life living in Pennsylvania 

1000005732.thumb.jpg.8c47eb6695a4bcf4e262a754fa8c2f0d.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Newman said:

Meanwhile out here in Siberia, I mean Laramie WY, the airport got down to -30° last night and driving around outside town my car read -40°. That's not wind chill, but actual air temperature! Certainly have never felt such cold air before in my life living in Pennsylvania 

1000005732.thumb.jpg.8c47eb6695a4bcf4e262a754fa8c2f0d.jpg

Doesn't gas freeze at around this temperature.  I am assuming you have to run your car every few hours or on the hour so your gas doesn't freeze.   I mean wow -40f I guess the cold air has made it to our side of the globe. 

This morning's lows were the coldest since December 24, 2022 when we recorded 2.8 above here in East Nantmeal. Some area lows this AM. East Nantmeal (7.9) / Warwick Twp (7.4) / Kennett Square (9.1) / Lionville (10.9) / Elverson (10.6) / Chester Springs (11.0). It will be sunny but cold today with most spots struggling to reach the low to mid 20's. Clouds return tomorrow but dry and we will approach but likely not pass freezing in most areas. Snow chances increase again likely right after the AM rush on Friday into Friday night. Saturday looks to be the coldest day so far this season with temperatures not much above 20 degrees for afternoon highs.
Records for today: High 65 (1973) / Low 13 below (1982) / Rain 1.83" (1994) / Snow 6.0" (1978)
image.png.1cbb621ed6db9f1e23b6630602545a9f.png
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Low this morning was 12.9F.  Lowest temp since December 2022.  Currently 13.4.  

25 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:
This morning's lows were the coldest since December 24, 2022 when we recorded 2.8 above here in East Nantmeal. Some area lows this AM. East Nantmeal (7.9) / Warwick Twp (7.4) / Kennett Square (9.1) / Lionville (10.9) / Elverson (10.6) / Chester Springs (11.0). It will be sunny but cold today with most spots struggling to reach the low to mid 20's. Clouds return tomorrow but dry and we will approach but likely not pass freezing in most areas. Snow chances increase again likely right after the AM rush on Friday into Friday night. Saturday looks to be the coldest day so far this season with temperatures not much above 20 degrees for afternoon highs.
Records for today: High 65 (1973) / Low 13 below (1982) / Rain 1.83" (1994) / Snow 6.0" (1978)
image.png.1cbb621ed6db9f1e23b6630602545a9f.png

Was going through my station data and the December 2022 low (on Christmas Eve 12/24/22) was 5 here.  That was my last single digit temp, and only one since I have had this station (got it in 2020).  Before that there was an 8F on 1/21/19 on my previous station and a bunch of single digits during the first week of January in 2018.

Temp is recovering now with the low now confirmed as 13 (12.9) and am up to 15 with dp 8.

12z 12k NAM is running and will soon see if there are any changes.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Blue Dream said:

Most of the models seem to be targeting our area for the best snows...definitely take

Yeah, a bunch of afds from regional stations were saying this was either a dc-philly target or a philly-nyc target, so either solution has us getting something. We are a snow town after all :snowing:

• Haha 1

The roads look about as bad as I've ever seen them in my neighborhood, just 2-3 inches of solid ice in most spots. Not sure if they were totally untreated/unplowed but the freezing rain to end the storm certainly didn't help. Maybe the warmer temps tomorrow will help them recover somewhat before more snow on Friday

The roads look about as bad as I've ever seen them in my neighborhood, just 2-3 inches of solid ice in most spots. Not sure if they were totally untreated/unplowed but the freezing rain to end the storm certainly didn't help. Maybe the warmer temps tomorrow will help them recover somewhat before more snow on Friday

Pure salt doesn’t work in these temps

• Thanks 1