Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

• The Iceman changed the title to E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The last day of November started with a low of 26 and finished with a high of 51.  Made up some of the rain deficit from October with 4.33" for the month of November.

Yesterday didn't get as warm as I expected, only reaching a high of 46 after a low of 32, with 0.46" of rain.

This morning the fog/low stratus is thick, with vis. < 1/4 mile where I am (although the city was left out of the dense fog advisory). Temp is 45 with dp 45.

Today looks great for getting out there a putting up your Christmas Lights (I will). It will be mild with temperatures almost 10 degreees above normal in the upper 50's. Rain will move back in tonight toward midnight and last till early tomorrow afternoon. Colder air moves in starting Monday and will last through the week.
Records for today: High 65 (1962) / Low 8 (1976) / Rain 1.13" (1986) / Snow 4.5" (1903)
image.png.f6116af4da814df412f393bc403cc57d.png

3 minutes ago, RedSky said:

In bee news the yellowjackets are back today, on December 2nd. Ain't ever seen anything like this, oh and a fly.

We've had multiple freezes so I can't see how they survived? Urgent care is open if extra help is needed.

I have hopped/coked up squirrels freaking out, a couple deer and fox...no ants, bees, flies, critters of any sorts here at all. I do have a old half jar of honey, maybe I'll leave it out to entice the bees...

53F

2 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

We've had multiple freezes so I can't see how they survived? Urgent care is open if extra help is needed.

I have hopped/coked up squirrels freaking out, a couple deer and fox...no ants, bees, flies, critters of any sorts here at all. I do have a old half jar of honey, maybe I'll leave it out to entice the bees...

53F

One is buzzing the electrician outside right now lol

51 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

53F

Many of them manage to nest inside structures (homes, buildings, etc).

44 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Munich just had their largest December snowstorm on record, possibly ever.

Also most snow cover in Europe since 2010. Can't tell if this is good or bad news for the northeast.

Possibly due to this (MJO in phase 3 w/blue GFS and green GEFS progs) -

MJO-Dec2-16-2023-combphase_noCFSfull-12022023.gif

17 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Socked in here now.  Vis. < 1/10th of a mile. Temp is 49 with dp 48.

Maybe this is why 2 of my packages (from ebay/sender) have been delayed (tracking) by 1-2 days to my area? One should have been delivered yesterday then today, now they are stuck in Phoenixville. I'm sure volume/lack of employees plays a big part as well....perhaps they were attacked by a swarm of bees. 

48F/ DP 46F, getting foggy....this morning (Sat) was super dense. 

8 hours ago, RedSky said:

In bee news the yellowjackets are back today, on December 2nd. Ain't ever seen anything like this, oh and a fly.

* And a honeybee lol

One came out of the siding when I was putting up the Christmas lights today, nearly fell off the ladder. Was not expecting it at all with the multiple freezes we’ve had. 

5 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Maybe this is why 2 of my packages (from ebay/sender) have been delayed (tracking) by 1-2 days to my area? One should have been delivered yesterday then today, now they are stuck in Phoenixville. I'm sure volume/lack of employees plays a big part as well....perhaps they were attacked by a swarm of bees. 

Well the critters supposedly become lethargic when the temps go below 60... But if they have a nest underground or in an attic or wall, then they are... well... busy as bees! :lol:

Watching the incoming precip...  Will probably take time to get here though.

Fog is denser here now, less than 100 yards and closing in, and that is with some occasional breezes. Temp still hanging at 49 with dp 49.

kdix_20231203_0203_BR_0.41.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Man o man the past half/hour the fog has really set in, would be a good Halloween night. Rain moving in later as well...

48F/DP 47F/Fog

4 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Well the critters supposedly become lethargic when the temps go below 60... But if they have a nest underground or in an attic or wall, then they are... well... busy as bees! :lol:

Watching the incoming precip...  Will probably take time to get here though.

Fog is denser here now, less than 100 yards and closing in, and that is with some occasional breezes. Temp still hanging at 49 with dp 49.

kdix_20231203_0203_BR_0.41.png

When I was putting those electric Xmas candles in the window sills all I saw was dead flies/bees/etc and vacuumed them out. Maybe it's because I keep my place so cold they want no parts of me and just croaked...

48F/DP 47F/Fog

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

49F, cloudy, light wind and actually a decent night to sit out on the porch w/a cold one during the halftime of college football games.

No bees, skeeters, critters or anything. Quiet and mellow w/a faint smell of a fireplace/firepit..

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

Down in Delco this evening, fog thick as pea soup. Wonder what it’s like in Kamuland? 

It's nice out, a bit foggy, we were splitting some wood, now testing the results lol.

20231202_213110.thumb.jpg.0591e8ad84a613ccbf2a32534208bbc3.jpg

• Like 1