Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

5 hours ago, mitchnick said:

Today's weekly Eps not only held serve with a trough in the east starting Christmas, but the trough is deeper and temps colder! Normal precip for the last 3 of the 6 week forecast period.

I’m bumping this post up again…

Some people obviously missed it…

Winter is coming…. Patience!

12 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I’m bumping this post up again…

Some people obviously missed it…

Winter is coming…. Patience!

Not sure anyone missed it....but some of us looked at Ens guidance leading up to Christmas week, and it appears that we have a notable warmish stretch to endure with troughing out west and ridging here in the east.  AO/NAO trending + is not a net + for us easters.  Not pooh poohin at all, but just managing expectations till the signs start getting notably better for a good period.  PNA looks to head twds + and that could set the table for the Christmas week.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

Will there be any sun today

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Some of you guys would be tortured if you lived somewhere like Upstate NY during the cold season months. It is SO CLOUDY here from November through March. We can go weeks without a day of sunshine. There's a reason so many take extra vitamins...including myself... The Lower Susq. Valley actually gets quite a bit of sunshine compared to other locales. Those NW winds off the mountains do their magic...

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Just as long as we don't have another 34°F to 7°F drop with a flash freeze within an hour on December 22nd followed by subzero daytime highs for a week during Christmas like last year.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

That nonsense caused the hatch on our NX to freeze shut - that'd never happened before. 

25 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Some of you guys would be tortured if you lived somewhere like Upstate NY during the cold season months. It is SO CLOUDY here from November through March. We can go weeks without a day of sunshine. There's a reason so many take extra vitamins...including myself... The Lower Susq. Valley actually gets quite a bit of sunshine compared to other locales. Those NW winds off the mountains do their magic...

No offense to any poster but we are good at pointing out the issue of the day and complaining about it.  I agree that we get plenty of sun here on a yearly basis. 

• Like 2

I hate how little sunshine I see up here.

That nonsense caused the hatch on our NX to freeze shut - that'd never happened before. 
I got caught in it at Walmart, to which your smart ass made a comment about it, but the lesson I took from it was take an umbrella the next time it's that windy and just fly home.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yeah anywhere downwind of the lakes, can be quite cloudy during cooler periods when winds are outta the W/NW.  We see it at the cabin as well (maybe not as pronounced mind you) - but its no joke.  While I love those episodes, i could understand the mental wear n tear it may have one ones well being if I lived there.  

whatchu end up w/ from this recent event?  

19 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

you "lake enhanced" folk live in a different world from many of us southers.  Your statement is not a complaint...just a fact.  As you know, my best friend grew up near you, and after moving down here, he said he loves it....cause "the sun shines down here" and that during colder periods, he'd shovel/wisp snow from cars/driveways many days from Nov/March.    

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

we are still waiting for some over the road hauler to show up with some of your snow from last winter.....

:whistle:

I drive local now. No more long haul otr for me.

I've got a friend who does drive otr, and he pulls a refrigerated trailer. Maybe he can help you out...lol

• Haha 1

you "lake enhanced" folk live in a different world from many of us southers.  Your statement is not a complaint...just a fact.  As you know, my best friend grew up near you, and after moving down here, he said he loves it....cause "the sun shines down here" and that during colder periods, he'd shovel/wisp snow from cars/driveways many days from Nov/March.    
It really is quite a different world in just a few miles here. I grew up in the lower end of Huntingdon county, which is mostly valley similar to the Cumberland and lower Susquehanna valleys, and then spent over ten years on both sides of the Susquehanna before moving up here and I bet the number of days with sun is different here from there by more than a months worth.

I looked at the ten day last week and saw the forecast, keep in mind we all know weather here to a pretty good amount, but I still look at the ten day every day and thought "the sun is going on vacation," and immediately went into seasonal sadness.

Snow only helps. Lack of snow or god forbid, mud, and it really destroys me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

It really is quite a different world in just a few miles here. I grew up in the lower end of Huntingdon county, which is mostly valley similar to the Cumberland and lower Susquehanna valleys, and then spent over ten years on both sides of the Susquehanna before moving up here and I bet the number of days with sun is different here from there by more than a months worth.

I looked at the ten day last week and saw the forecast, keep in mind we all know weather here to a pretty good amount, but I still look at the ten day every day and thought "the sun is going on vacation," and immediately went into seasonal sadness.

Snow only helps. Lack of snow or god forbid, mud, and it really destroys me.

well after the cold push that is slated for mid week the winds are often outta the W/WSW, so that should bring some smiles (and vitamin D) to your local. 

Get it while you can bud.

40 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

No offense to any poster but we are good at pointing out the issue of the day and complaining about it.  I agree that we get plenty of sun here on a yearly basis. 

When the weather is boring, it's easy to get annoyed. As an avid winter lover, I remember many sunny, windy days of looking to the skies NW of Lancaster and watching the puffy lake effect clouds evaporate into thin air. I am the opposite of most people, and hated the weather in Lancaster. So hot in the summer and mundane, blustery days in the winter.

31 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Yeah, the winters in Clearfield county are quite similar as far as cloudiness. Those clouds form and get hung up along the ridges.

15 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah anywhere downwind of the lakes, can be quite cloudy during cooler periods when winds are outta the W/NW.  We see it at the cabin as well (maybe not as pronounced mind you) - but its no joke.  While I love those episodes, i could understand the mental wear n tear it may have one ones well being if I lived there.  

whatchu end up w/ from this recent event?  

People get absolutely miserable here. Snow helps to brighten everything up and it used to be very common in the Great Lakes region. Lately...........

Are you asking about last week's event? I got about 4 to 5 inches of snow that hung around a couple days before the weekend warmup. (I'll see if I can post a few pics later.)

6 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah, most of the people I know from DuBois who move go to Lancaster. I did the opposite. I had never experienced what it was like to have doors freeze shut during the day or have to brush snow off the car multiple times in one day until moving up there. The summers were glorious as well, with MUCH less humidity than Lancaster. Although, I've noticed even the mountains are now getting 90 degree days with whatever this new climate is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

People get absolutely miserable here. Snow helps to brighten everything up and it used to be very common in the Great Lakes region. Lately...........

I saw a documentary once explaining how counseling is so desperately needed in areas of the world that stay dark for months at a time (North Alaska, etc) because of the sadness, depression and miserable feeling that comes with it. 

• Like 1