Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

8 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

@psuhoffman I remember last year you talked a lot about how one of your main worries was how there was next to no frozen precip on the north sides of the low. Should we expect that to change in nino years? Using the recent gfs as an example of what you talked about last year. I know it’s December but still a little concerning to see no snow anywhere with a nor easter. 
image.thumb.png.fc05791bc82291c3ba99749999c001a7.png

Looks at the temps across North America. This isn't some borderline snow situation - it's in the 40s from coast to coast. There's just no cold for this to tap into.

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

4th out of last 5 GFS runs with a big phasing/near-phasing coastal D8-11. Hopefully we see that again with some colder air in another few weeks. 

Yup. Too bad CONUS is full of warm air at the time, but it's great to see a storm coming out of the Gulf of Mexico and riding the coast.

• Like 1

@psuhoffman I remember last year you talked a lot about how one of your main worries was how there was next to no frozen precip on the north sides of the low. Should we expect that to change in nino years? Using the recent gfs as an example of what you talked about last year. I know it’s December but still a little concerning to see no snow anywhere with a nor easter. 

I think this setup has issues. The High to the North is departing.  The air is not that cold. There is a kicker Low in Canada kicking out whatever the Cooler High could bring. The upper-level support is trying to figure out phasing and timing. A little colder (probably a month later) I would think this would be a wintrier start but would easily change to rain. 

But what do I know! :)

16 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

you wouldn't see snow in 1875 with an antecedent pattern like this in mid-December

gfs-deterministic-nhemi-z500_anom-2728000.thumb.png.691ba2d2f7a034cb73d102776fb88ee7.png

Honest question from one trying to learn.  What makes this a bad antecedent pattern?  To my unlearned eye I see a +PNA.  The EPO domain is complicated but certainly no pig Alaska vortex.  I see what looks like the TPV in Norther Quebec.  (On the other hand I do see it looks like a +AO.)

What is the mechanism for this being bad?

Note I am not challenging that this IS bad, just trying to understand what makes it so. 

• Like 1

Just now, cbmclean said:

Honest question from one trying to learn.  What makes this a bad antecedent pattern?  To my unlearned eye I see a +PNA.  The EPO domain is complicated but certainly no pig Alaska vortex.  I see what looks like the TPV in Norther Quebec.  (On the other hand I do see it looks like a +AO.)

What is the mechanism for this being bad?

Note I am not challenging that this IS bad, just trying to understand what makes it so. 

there is just no cold air in the US. look at the heights

Isn’t that slightly concerning on a broader scale for our winter events?

Agree with brooklyn. I think you run a risk if you try to view an individual event as indicative of a greater issue. I don't think any of us would take a cold powder storm in mid-December and draw sweeping conclusions about where we were going on a wider scale, so I don't think we can do that here.

It's really nothing to do with borderline temps in our immediate region during prime climo - it's just that CONUS is warm and we're at the beginning of a pattern change in the middle of December. It's annoying, but I don't think we can draw any conclusions from it other than that it's part of the step down into more favorable climo and setup.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

you wouldn't see snow in 1875 with an antecedent pattern like this in mid-December

It doesn't even show snow until it hits Canada, I understand its a torched pattern but seeing rain into southern Canada on the backside of a nor easter just feels wrong.

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

Agree with brooklyn. I think you run a risk if you try to view an individual event as indicative of a greater issue. I don't think any of us would take a cold powder storm in mid-December and draw sweeping conclusions about where we were going on a wider scale, so I don't think we can do that here.

Like I said its just an example of something pointed out during last years winter. Enough individual events line up to cause trends, as winter goes on we (should) hopefully see less of this but if we don't then prob not a great sign. Doubt thats what will happen but just concerns me about the future in general because eventually storms like this will become the far more likely if not the norm. 

3 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

It doesn't even show snow until it hits Canada, I understand its a torched pattern but seeing rain into southern Canada on the backside of a nor easter just feels wrong.

Like I said its just an example of something pointed out during last years winter. Enough individual events line up to cause trends, as winter goes on we (should) hopefully see less of this but if we don't then prob not a great sign. Doubt thats what will happen but just concerns me about the future in general because eventually storms like this will become the far more likely if not the norm. 

I’m 60 years old and I’ve seen countless storms like this in mid December.  It’s a product of the pattern.  I don’t think you should read too much more into it than that.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Yes I understand that.  But why is there no cold air?  What is the mechanism by which the warm Pacific air is dominating the CONUS?

Look earlier. That big PAC trough just scrours the continent of cold air while the big low moves underneath 

IMG_7331.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Look earlier. That big PAC trough just scrours the continent of cold air while the big low moves underneath 

IMG_7331.png

So in other words, the full latitude Pac trough directed mild maritime air into our source regions?  That makes sense (if that is correct).  

Thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

So in other words, the full latitude Pac trough directed mild maritime air into our source regions?  That makes sense (if that is correct).  

Thanks!

Basically to my dumb eye, the isobars are more west to east and not bent to come down from the polar regions.  You want the 520-540 lines pointing down to Montana to start getting cold air into the US

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SnowenOutThere said:

It's too early to freak out about that...you're not wrong about what I said but that was when we were seeing this in January/February.  It's hard to overcome pac puke in December.  

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

gfs-deterministic-nhemi-z500_anom-2728000.thumb.png.691ba2d2f7a034cb73d102776fb88ee7.png

You're not wrong but I do think if that projection is correct wrt not even seeing snow at like 3-4k feet in the Apps that indicative of a warmer climate.  I can remember some December high elevation snows in the Apps in pac puke crap airmasses...but this is a margins thing and in no way indicates we can't get snow here later in winter...but it is somewhat indicative of how much harder its becoming to get snow early in the season, even at higher elevations.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Verbatim it looks a few degrees above average. So no snow on Xmas = torch. What a jerk.

Yea I wasn't going to bother to respond but that is no torch... with an active STJ tracking under the high pressure dome in Canada...it's more like a Seattle winter type temp profile, not cold enough for snow but definitely not something we would remember as a torch.  Once the vortex gets to the Aleutians the temp profile over the CONUS will start to cool.  Still wont have arctic air...but once the pac puke firehose is directed well west of us it will allow some continental air to get mixed into the equation and we should be able to get a cold enough profile domestically to work with.  At least that's my plan and I'm sticking too it.  

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic