Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

That literally never happens, though. The winds switch and dry things out before the cold air can get there.

It definitely does happen? A lot of our storms start as rain. The early January 2022 event was deluge rain for 3-4 hours (temps were in the 50s and 60s day before?) and then switched to snow. 

It takes a certain set of conditions, but it can happen.

• Like 8

Just now, WxUSAF said:

It definitely does happen? A lot of our storms start as rain. The early January 2022 event was deluge rain for 3-4 hours (temps were in the 50s and 60s day before?) and then switched to snow. 

Ya it’s more than just a cold front passage per euro. Secondary low forms and that’s what provides the snow. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I don't remember that one. I'm looking at the Euro now and it just looks like a low develops right along the front and passes west/north of us.

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

I don't remember that one. I'm looking at the Euro now and it just looks like a low develops right along the front and passes west/north of us.

Was like 6” at my house and I believe had some 10-12” reports S and E of DC. Had a strong gradient with the N and W folks getting actually fringed for once. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Was like 6” at my house and I believe had some 10-12” reports S and E of DC. Had a strong gradient with the N and W folks getting actually fringed for once. 

This was the storm where Tim Kaine and others were stuck on I-95 for ~2 days. Think there was almost a foot and a half down in SE MD/Fredericksburg area.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

It was a mess on 95 for that one.

Virginia's I-95 reopens after winter storm strands drivers | CNN

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

i dont think that january 2022 event was similar to what the european is showing now was it? I think h he meant rain changing to snow from a super cold front passage that the euro is showing. Jan 2011 also started as rain so yea its very possible to start as rain and go to snow. But the euro is showing 60 at 7pm going to 39 by midnight

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I received 8 inches and had 3' drifts.

35 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

GEFS showing the transition well as the AK trough retrogrades and the PNA rises. SE trough starting to develop

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom_1day-3246400.thumb.png.4f520a77e4aa88537af4f1d6b84979a4.png

Yes, the pattern the seasonal and monthly models have forecasted for a while is now starting to show at the very end of the ensemble guidance.  The last step after that would be for wave breaking to help the western Atl ridge to migrate to the NAO domain once the TPV has vacated and then we are in business.  

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Ji said:

i dont think that january 2022 event was similar to what the european is showing now was it? I think h he meant rain changing to snow from a super cold front passage that the euro is showing. Jan 2011 also started as rain so yea its very possible to start as rain and go to snow. But the euro is showing 60 at 7pm going to 39 by midnight

No, they’re not really. But the one thing that is common to our rain—>snow scenarios is a more Sw-NE oriented front vs very S-N orientation. Euro is getting that tilt more and hence the changeover.

18 minutes ago, Ji said:

It's not super common but there have been numerous anafront snow events over the years.  They probably actually produce accumulating snow like once every few years.  They aren't typically events we remember though since they are never going to be some 6" plus event...we are talking 1-3" type things...sometimes up here and in the mountains they can be 3-5" type deals...but that have a pretty low ceiling in terms of potential.  It requires there to be a wave along the front that stalls the progress allowing the cold to catch up to the precip.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

This was the storm where Tim Kaine and others were stuck on I-95 for ~2 days. Think there was almost a foot and a half down in SE MD/Fredericksburg area.

That's correct, I had 9.3" IMBY, just north of me in Huntingtown was the bull's eye at 15". Much of Southern MD did better with that storm than HECS 2016.

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

I actually do get fringed regularly up here...but in a more typical season it just doesn't matter because there are several more storms where up here gets significantly more and by the end of the season no one remembers that one time DC beat me.  It's just rare to get a season where there is like only one big storm and that happens to fringe up here.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, osfan24 said:

That literally never happens, though. The winds switch and dry things out before the cold air can get there.

Euro amplifies a wave of low pressure along the front that tugs the cold air in before things can dry out. GFS does the same thing, but to a lesser extent so it's mainly a car topper N&W. Still would be more snow for many than the last 2 years.

• Like 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic