Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

6 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Great, more firewood for next year.....

Cold morning, at least the sun is out...22 for the low with heavy, heavy frost accumulations

Yes, a very frosty morning here too..24 for the low. We’ve had many frosts and freezes already this autumn…last year at this point it was almost non existent(very few). 

January 15 - March 15 will feature 2 blizzards and 5-6 major snowfall accumulating events (6-8''+). Our fist region-wide storm will be one of the blizzards. Models will "show" this as rain but there will be hints within the upper-levels that may not be the case. There will be lots of wavering on guidance and then all of a sudden an 12z Euro run is going to go bonkers...everyone laughs and the rest of guidance begins to follow suite. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 4

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

January 15 - March 15 will feature 2 blizzards and 5-6 major snowfall accumulating events (6-8''+). Our fist region-wide storm will be one of the blizzards. Models will "show" this as rain but there will be hints within the upper-levels that may not be the case. There will be lots of wavering on guidance and then all of a sudden an 12z Euro run is going to go bonkers...everyone laughs and the rest of guidance begins to follow suite. 

Thanks George.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Bent over by the PAC jet vs SE ridge. Thought we'd have some chances, but looks like nothing until after Christmas at the earliest. 

Just a short term blip.

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

This has the potential to be another winter of bad luck too.

I don't think so.

Just now, dryslot said:

This has the potential to be another winter of bad luck too.

Every winter has that potential. We're prob due for some breaks though. Tropical PAC does become a lot more favorable late month, so hopefully things turn around.

If we're trying to sneak something in before that, I'd look at that the 12/21-22 period. Some of the guidance has been showing some weakness in the flow around that time. But obviously you need good timing when we have marginal airmasses.

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

This has the potential to be 2nd warmest December across the CONUS I think. 

I'd have to imagine the Inter-mountain West region has to be extremely above-average. Could easily go check the numbers so far (and may just to see if that hunch is correct) but isn't peak climo in terms of temperatures for many of those areas like now...or within the next few weeks? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Believe, I hate losing the holiday period...second year in a row with a cruel headfake in that respect. Gave the daughter's dollhouse a few swift kicks.

I have my daughter's Barbie dream house that I'm ready to kick through the uprights at Weymouth HS football field.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I'd have to imagine the Inter-mountain West region has to be extremely above-average. Could easily go check the numbers so far (and may just to see if that hunch is correct) but isn't peak climo in terms of temperatures for many of those areas like now...or within the next few weeks? 

Peak Cold ? Climo now in Intra mountain west , why would they be over a month ahead of us (edit ) Denver did have coldest averages in December ,hmmm 

EPS def has them in big red shadings over the medium term (esp N Rockies )

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’m too young to remember this storm of yore

That's my favorite storm of all time. Witnessed the entire thing unfold in it's unpredictable glory. One of the worst snowfall busts too. They were predicting 2-4/3-6" of snow the day before the storm in central MA.

• Like 1