Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Discobs 2023

George BM

31 minutes ago, 87storms said:

I know we’re technically in an El Niño, but I don’t see how this is any different from a La Nina. It’s gonna be a change of pace when we get a storm out of the gulf.

A storm out of the gulf in October would most probably be tropical, and el ninos tend to suppress hurricane activity in those parts. It’s getting quieter now.

let’s get to mid January, and if we haven’t had anything come out of the gulf and no models are showing anything 2 weeks out, then maybe it’s time to get concerned

• Thanks 1

A storm out of the gulf in October would most probably be tropical, and el ninos tend to suppress hurricane activity in those parts. It’s getting quieter now.
let’s get to mid January, and if we haven’t had anything come out of the gulf and no models are showing anything 2 weeks out, then maybe it’s time to get concerned

True, I should have mentioned a storm coming up from the south. This is just such an odd, prolonged pattern. Temp-wise, the trend would seem to indicate a cold winter ahead, but will it be accompanied by a pattern change and an active stj is the tbd.

5 hours ago, 87storms said:

True, I should have mentioned a storm coming up from the south. This is just such an odd, prolonged pattern. Temp-wise, the trend would seem to indicate a cold winter ahead, but will it be accompanied by a pattern change and an active stj is the tbd.

I actually think its the other way around. Based on my top analogs so far (could change) I’m seeing a signal for a wet winter with a STJ. Whether that is accompanied by cold temps is tbd. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 87storms said:

I know we’re technically in an El Niño, but I don’t see how this is any different from a La Nina. It’s gonna be a change of pace when we get a storm out of the gulf.

But you can't extrapolate a pattern in the beginning of fall out through winter.

I'm not sure why anyone is handwringing right now.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

But you can't extrapolate a pattern in the beginning of fall out through winter.

I'm not sure why anyone is handwringing right now.

I wasn't talking about January lol.  I'm just saying the pattern right now is really no different than it has been all year, regardless of whether we're in an El Nino or not.

8 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Looks like another good ole model fight for the weekend's rain.  The juicy GFS or the dry CMC/Euro.

I would tend to lean towards the CMC/Euro since this is a deepening coastal low that is moving away from us. It's like banking on the back end snow to save your forecast.

3 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

I would tend to lean towards the CMC/Euro since this is a deepening coastal low that is moving away from us. It's like banking on the back end snow to save your forecast.

You wouldn't be saying this because you need the weekend to be dry would you?

Hi of 62° after a low of 50° this morning. You know it’s October when you’re rocking 12 degree diurnals. 

Clouds helped the night shift sleeping efforts. One more of these after tonight. 

Anyone planning on going leaf peeping this weekend or next week? I’m probably going to head out on Monday into the Catoctins on my day off. Should be nice and quiet with the weather settling as well. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Lots of lows in the 40s recently. Looks like a decent chance for some 30s Monday night outside of the cities with HP in place and calm conditions. Perhaps some scattered frost.

Yeah, after a warm start, it feels like the Octobers I remember growing up with. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Yeah, after a warm start, it feels like the Octobers I remember growing up with. 

I was thinking the same thing this morning. I feel like recent Octobers have been hot and dry. This has been a beautiful October. Hopefully we'll get some of those fresh powder blue bird mornings this winter that I remember as a kid. I remember going to bed with snow in the forecast, sneaking to the living room window during the night and seeing it dumping. Then wake up to dark blue sky and 8-12" on the ground. 

• Like 6

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic