Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

1 hour ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I wouldn't say it was a Flaccid year around here..... we had one of the wettest Summers with a several months being in the top 5 wettest months ever. Maybe where you are it was boring though. 

Meh rain is boring. Unless you had some terrific flooding like VT did or Leominster, MA on a local scale. We had a tornado in town, but I still find the overall year boring. Very little SVR this summer aside from brief spin ups and up by Acton-Andover MA. New England as a whole was quiet in that dept.

59 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Which brings to mind my greatest personal disappointment that I will take to my grave-being in Los Angeles for the blizzard of 78.   Keeping hope alive.

After you originally told me the story many eons ago, I told myself that if I ever found myself in the past, one of my priorities would be to go to LA and find you and convince you to be in Boston for that. All while not sounding like a lunatic.  :lol:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Instead of candy turning to diarrhea in bags.. candy bars turning into ice cream?

2020 redux without the snow pack....this actually might be worse because at least 2020 was a relatively calm evening....but man, it radiated quickly with the fresh snow cover.

1988 comes to mind thinking of brutal trick or treating with cold and a bit of breeze....that's what might happen this time too. I was only 7 so we made it to like 20 houses max before the cold got too bad.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2020 redux without the snow pack....this actually might be worse because at least 2020 was a relatively calm evening....but man, it radiated quickly with the fresh snow cover.

1988 comes to mind thinking of brutal trick or treating with cold and a bit of breeze....that's what might happen this time too. I was only 7 so we made it to like 20 houses max before the cold got too bad.

In 2020 we had a table I set up for candy so we weren't directly giving them to the kids (Covid was in our heads).  We had a fire pit going but even with the meager heat from that, some of the candy froze to the table.  It had been wet from snowmelt maybe?  

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

After you originally told me the story many eons ago, I told myself that if I ever found myself in the past, one of my priorities would be to go to LA and find you and convince you to be in Boston for that. All while not sounding like a lunatic.  :lol:

The sad part is, Will you were born far too late to witness ‘78(I was 9 at the time..turned 10 a month later).  It was the real deal everywhere in SNE.  What a total beast. 

Feb 2013 delivered something very similar for me here…more snow accumulation in ‘13, but winds were still longer lasting, and bigger drifting in ‘78. Both were absolutely historic. 

Both ‘78 and Feb 2013 closed school for a week in town here also. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Not where I live.

Multiple destructive wet snowstorms in January. Then a top 5 snowstorm for me in March.  Record setting rain this summer.  Destructive flooding in the city I work in in September.

Weather is typically local

Your "top 5 snowstorm" would be my #1, by 3".  I was happy with the 22" dump in mid-December, enough to survive the Grinch deluge the following week.

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was one in the mid/ late 2000’s that was frigid . Near freezing with snow flurries. I recall that one well because the kids were little and had to end it early 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There was one in the mid/ late 2000’s that was frigid . Near freezing with snow flurries. I recall that one well because the kids were little and had to end it early 

Prob 2010....that was cold and I think there might have been a few scattered flurries around. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Your "top 5 snowstorm" would be my #1, by 3".  I was happy with the 22" dump in mid-December, enough to survive the Grinch deluge the following week.

It is probably top 3 for me (1978, April Fools 1997 are my top 2)   While it (March 2023) had a lot of snow it was sorta dull since it was limited to a small area.  Few others could enjoy it.

I don't have good records for 3/2001 or a few others near 30"     I wasn't in my current spot for Dec 1992 which was probably 3 feet

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Meh rain is boring. Unless you had some terrific flooding like VT did or Leominster, MA on a local scale. We had a tornado in town, but I still find the overall year boring. Very little SVR this summer aside from brief spin ups and up by Acton-Andover MA. New England as a whole was quiet in that dept.

Ahhh... I see what you mean by boring you want some action as far as damaging winds or tornadoes or hurricanes or major flooding. I find that so fascinating, but I don't want it where I am. My parents went through it first hand with the hurricane  down in Florida last year ago and it really devastated their house and the area around them, so much so that they're going to be moving back north. So I'm not a fan of devastation and how it takes people out. Just not my thing, but to each their own.

15 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Ahhh... I see what you mean by boring you want some action as far as damaging winds or tornadoes or hurricanes or major flooding. I find that so fascinating, but I don't want it where I am. My parents went through it first hand with the hurricane  down in Florida last year ago and it really devastated their house and the area around them, so much so that they're going to be moving back north. So I'm not a fan of devastation and how it takes people out. Just not my thing, but to each their own.

Obviously I don't want to see others grieve. But from a weather standpoint I find stuff like that fascinating. I didn't get into this field because of Partly sunny and 80F. All of us who are mets got into this because we find weather fascinating and that typically equates to something that struck awe in us. 

Many including myself did it mostly for predicting winter weather....but many also love to see what mother nature can do.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It is probably top 3 for me (1978, April Fools 1997 are my top 2)   While it (March 2023) had a lot of snow it was sorta dull since it was limited to a small area.  Few others could enjoy it.

I don't have good records for 3/2001 or a few others near 30"     I wasn't in my current spot for Dec 1992 which was probably 3 feet

Top "5" for me:

26.5",  3/14-15/1984 in Fort kent
24.5",  2/22-23/2009  in New Sharon
     24.0" (5x)
3/18-19/1956 in NNJ
3/20-21/1958 in NNJ
2/3-4/1961 in NNJ  (May be an underestimate, thanks to howling winds)
12/26-27/1976 in Fort Kent
12/6-7/2003 in New Sharon

(Between 3/56 and 2/61 there were 3 storms of 18" and one of 20".  That was by far the greatest big snow period I've seen.)

• Like 1