Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

44 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

An impressive late October warmup is getting underway. Temperatures will surge to above and much above normal levels into the weekend. During the peak of the warmth, the temperature will likely reach into the 70s into southern and central New England. Parts of the Middle Atlantic Region Baltimore, Newark, Philadelphia,and Washington, DC could reach 80°. Much cooler air could return to close out October.

All said, October is on track to finish as a warmer than normal month. Since 1950, only a single El Niño event with a monthly ENSO R3.4 anomaly of +1.00°C or above was warmer than normal in New York City during October: 2015 (sample size: 6). If one lowers the ENSO R3.4 anomaly to +0.75°C or above, only two 2/12 (17%) of El Niño cases saw a warmer than normal October in New York City: 1963 and 2015. Both years saw warm Octobers followed by warm Novembers.  

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +2.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +1.6°C for the week centered around October 18. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +2.57°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +1.57°C. El Niño conditions will likely continue to strengthen into the fall with the current East-based event transitioning to a basinwide El Niño for the upcoming winter. That transition is currently underway.

The SOI was +0.77 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -0.051 today.

On October 21 the MJO was in Phase 6 at an amplitude of 0.563 (RMM). The October 20-adjusted amplitude was 0.353 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 99% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal October (1991-2020 normal). October will likely finish with a mean temperature near 60.2° (2.3° above normal).

30 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s almost everyone in the entire 6 state region other than Alex , Tamarack and usual spots 

Even here while we've been below freezing several times, nothing like in past years. My cannas are still not fully dead, so not quite ready to be pulled out of the ground yet. That's several weeks later than usual. 

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

How about the last 3 years really. Ever since wild Isaias. There’s been nothing but boring dongs for years 

Well to be fair, Isaias was august of ‘20, and winter 20-21 was pretty darn good. Two big 12-18” events in CT(Dec of ‘20; and Feb 1st of ‘21) in one winter is pretty good imo. But since then it’s not that great(although eastern areas got the blizzard of late Jan ‘22 which was great for them), but other than that, the last two years have been dull. 

52 minutes ago, alex said:

Even here while we've been below freezing several times, nothing like in past years. My cannas are still not fully dead, so not quite ready to be pulled out of the ground yet. That's several weeks later than usual. 

Yeah what a warm fall overall. That’s why some places that hit 30.7 this morning.. you’ll still have flowers , tomatoes etc growing . Needs to be in mid- upper 20’s for a few hours to kill 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah what a warm fall overall. That’s why some places that hit 30.7 this morning.. you’ll still have flowers , tomatoes etc growing . Needs to be in mid- upper 20’s for a few hours to kill 

Good news for those in srn VT where decomposition season continues.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I wasn’t necessarily just talking about snow totals. From what I’ve gathered from folks here at least there was cold around in those awful years.

what I meant from the lows are lower comment is when we have a bad season now, there seems to be not only a lack of snow, but lack of cold and generally any winter like weather.

Yeah maybe. I don’t personally find a lot of solace in getting an extra arctic outbreak. We had a near historical one this past winter but it was pretty shitty without a snow pack….reminded me of? 1980s. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah maybe. I don’t personally find a lot of solace in getting an extra arctic outbreak. We had a near historical one this past winter but it was pretty shitty without a snow pack….reminded me of? 1980s. 

I know I’m in the minority, but given the epic blowtorches we’ve seen recently—including all of last January—I found the near Christmas blast and Montreal Express in February to be awesome. 

Again in the minority here, but winters here are far too fickle to put snow as the only thing worth caring about. That’s a recipe for misery. Of course snow is first, but I’ll take any winter—ice, pingers, and cold, especially big dog cold. 

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

God that was brutal on the slopes, most places closed. -28 followed by -35, wind chills -65F.

For Wolfie… on Mansfield last February had the 2nd coldest reading during the second half of any winter since records started in 1954 with -35F (record was -36F in 1967).  February also set 3 daily record mins.

Maybe that off-sets the record late freeze 8 months later? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I know I’m in the minority, but given the epic blowtorches we’ve seen recently—including all of last January—I found the near Christmas blast and Montreal Express in February to be awesome. 

Again in the minority here, but winters here are far too fickle to put snow as the only thing worth caring about. That’s a recipe for misery. Of course snow is first, but I’ll take any winter—ice, pingers, and cold, especially big dog cold. 

Yeah I get that some people love it. I def like it when there’s a snowpack…even if only a few inches. But that bare ground during it is just brutal to me. Reminded me of some of those late 80s cold shots. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

He doesn’t get it. He’s too young to understand.   Ya had to live the bad 80’s winters to completely understand.

1-3” was commonplace back then.  2-4” and we were feeling giddy.  3-5” was a substantial storm.  And 4-6” was major…And if you accumulated greater than 6” it felt like you were in rarified territory.

And tons of mixed bag storms too…always mixed precip events…which then froze solid afterwards. Remember almost always being able to walk on top of the snow due to freezing rain crusting it up…we did LOTS of good sledding/and tobogganing on the iced up snow in those years(had lots of good fun, and made the best of what we got), but it was lean and frustrating for quite awhile. 

It seemed like every storm that came along, would always get sabotaged somehow…amazing how often that happened back then, it was like clockwork.  And you knew at some point as a storm approached, the rug would ultimately get pulled out..and it practically always did.  F’n Infuriating:axe:

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don’t either usually, last year was so bad though that the epic cold shot in Feb was the only game in town, so it was cool.

The lack of snow cover with that cold shot is probably what killed a good amount of my bushes.

9 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I don’t either usually, last year was so bad though that the epic cold shot in Feb was the only game in town, so it was cool.

The lack of snow cover with that cold shot is probably what killed a good amount of my bushes.

I think the lack of snow cover made it all the more impressive. Imagine that cold shot with a fresh pack. Deep winter days of yore. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

God that was brutal on the slopes, most places closed. -28 followed by -35, wind chills -65F.

For Wolfie… on Mansfield last February had the 2nd coldest reading during the second half of any winter since records started in 1954 with -35F (record was -36F in 1967).  February also set 3 daily record mins.

Maybe that off-sets the record late freeze 8 months later? 

Jan 22 was pretty cold in the northern greens too wasn't it?  I think I remember a solid 3 week period of pretty brutal days and thinking about wasted cold without a ton of snow.  

Strong cold front continues to traverse southward and eventually
crosses southern New England +/- 12-24 hrs of Halloween, which will
bring a significantly cooler airmass to the region and our first
shot at a true hard freeze with overnight lows in the 20s (highs may
not climb out of the 40s by Wednesday next week!). While it`s still
VERY early in the forecasting game, precipitation associated with
the front MAY yield some of the first flakes of the season for the
high terrain of central and western MA. For now, GEFS/Euro ensembles
hint at the potential for a few flakes but do not favor accumulating
snow.
  • Like 2