joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

16 hours ago, Hoth said:

What's a pawpaw taste like?

Like pawpaw? ;)

It’s a very tropical taste. Kinda like cherimoya, but many haven’t tasted that either. The selectively bred cultivars are generally sweet with varying intensity of pawpaw taste with a hint of other flavors with it. Some have a hint of banana, mango, melon, vanilla, coconut, or pineapple. When ripe, most have a custardy texture although there are a couple that are more firm like a marshmallow. 

The wild ones are full of seeds, less sweet, and tend to have a bad aftertaste. If anyone is near RI they may still have some available at Rocky Point Farm in Warwick Monday night, but check their FB first. Then tend to have a line and sell out in 10 minutes when they go on sale. 

16 hours ago, dendrite said:

Like pawpaw? ;)

It’s a very tropical taste. Kinda like cherimoya, but many haven’t tasted that either. The selectively bred cultivars are generally sweet with varying intensity of pawpaw taste with a hint of other flavors with it. Some have a hint of banana, mango, melon, vanilla, coconut, or pineapple. When ripe, most have a custardy texture although there are a couple that are more firm like a marshmallow. 

The wild ones are full of seeds, less sweet, and tend to have a bad aftertaste. If anyone is near RI they may still have some available at Rocky Point Farm in Warwick Monday night, but check their FB first. Then tend to have a line and sell out in 10 minutes when they go on sale. 

Fascinating. A neighbor of mine has one, but I never knew the fruit was edible.

49 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Concerns??  Really?   Why worry about such complete and utter nonsense…??  

Just enjoy the weather when it’s nice.  Enjoy the snow when it comes. Nothing you, or anybody is gonna do about any of what you’re worried about. 

It seems triggering when the topic comes up on here at times but I honestly don’t think anyone is up at night worrying about it.

Like it is what it is. Discussing local weather trends on a weather forum.  No one has said one thing about a cause of it or taking action because of it.

Like if we were talking about a trend of increasing rainfall?  Increasing snowfall?  No one is not enjoying life by pointing out a trend in temperature data.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It seems triggering when the topic comes up on here at times but I honestly don’t think anyone is up at night worrying about it.

Like it is what it is. Discussing local weather trends on a weather forum.  No one has said one thing about a cause of it or taking action because of it.

Like if we were talking about a trend of increasing rainfall?  Increasing snowfall?  No one is not enjoying life by pointing out a trend in temperature data.

Beautiful. 

16 hours ago, dendrite said:

Like pawpaw? ;)

Do you make pawpaw jam or freeze them for winter?

20 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Do you make pawpaw jam or freeze them for winter?

I don’t have fruit yet on my trees, but I have fruiting buds setting for the first time this year so hopefully I get some flowers and fruit next year. I fellow grower in IL has sent me some in the past so I’ve gotten to try a bunch of varieties. I don’t think I’d freeze them because I’ve seen many people get upset stomachs from eating saved, frozen pulp. I’d probably eat some fresh, sell some, make iced cream, and offer some to the local brewery and let them experiment with a pawpaw beer. 
image.jpeg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Cuz it’s an utter joke…especially when it comes to folks worrying.  

We're breaking global records by an exceedingly large margin this year and the Nino hasn't even peaked. 

This month should be freezing based on current indices but we're getting record late freezes. 

• Haha 2