Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

10 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

yep 09-10 was like that it we were skunked in almost every storm. 

4 KUs:

whiff
whiff
whiff
3.81" precip, 10" 4:1 mashed potatoes that splattered on landing plus 1.14" RA at 33-35, final result 8" with nearly 3" LE, harder to move than the 24" dump a year earlier.  (While reading of NYC's "snowicane", 20.9" on the same NE wind that was blowing up here.)

Maybe not the worst winter here, but definitely the most frustrating.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, tamarack said:

4 KUs:

whiff
whiff
whiff
3.81" precip, 10" 4:1 mashed potatoes that splattered on landing plus 1.14" RA at 33-35, final result 8" with nearly 3" LE, harder to move than the 24" dump a year earlier.  (While reading of NYC's "snowicane", 20.9" on the same NE wind that was blowing up here.)

Maybe not the worst winter here, but definitely the most frustrating.

Yes, what a crazy year that was. Mid Atlantic historic snow blitz!   I’ll still roll the dice with that pattern again though…99% chance we’d do better second time around. 

13 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes, what a crazy year that was. Mid Atlantic historic snow blitz!   I’ll still roll the dice with that pattern again though…99% chance we’d do better second time around. 

I lived in central Delaware at the time....unreal how much snow we got, pretty sure I have more snow in that year than I did in the next 5 combined. Crazy thing was, how fast all of that snow melted. That first snow in December, pretty sure I had 32", it was completely gone by Christmas, including most of the piles

Deja-vu on the 12z Euro, 2 southern/late developer misses, followed by a massive storm about ready to cut to our west....Thank God this is October and not January. Unless this pattern completely collapses, It does look like a fun winter incoming at least for tracking purposes, hopefully we are on the right side of some when all is said and done....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Unpredictable weather??

That hasn’t changed, haha.

The costs to operate and what you need to pay people has skyrocketed in the service sector.  Previously if your business could barely survive while paying folks $10/hr, then when that goes immediately to $20-25/hr just to get a local high schooler to work for you… now you’re f*cked.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That hasn’t changed, haha.

The costs to operate and what you need to pay people has skyrocketed in the service sector.  Previously if your business could barely survive while paying folks $10/hr, then when that goes immediately to $20-25/hr just to get a local high schooler to work for you… now you’re f*cked.

i can see the social media comments now "vail causes closure of Black mountain by paying workers $20-$25 an hour" 

56 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Deja-vu on the 12z Euro, 2 southern/late developer misses, followed by a massive storm about ready to cut to our west....Thank God this is October and not January. Unless this pattern completely collapses, It does look like a fun winter incoming at least for tracking purposes, hopefully we are on the right side of some when all is said and done....

When is this for. The one for this weekend followed by another one early in the week? Or is this a different time period ?

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Anything that happens in Oct has very little correlation to winter, Next month, Is another story, That carry's more weight.

Oct-Nov temps, correlation with snowfall here.  Only 25 years but same trends in the much longer (130 yr) POR at Farmington:

Temp       Snow (% of avg)
Oct AN     105%
Oct BN       95%

Nov AN      89%
NOV BN    114%

Both AN     91%
Both BN    105%

Oct A/Nov B   125%
Oct B/Nov A    87%

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Let's at least wait until Thanksgiving the be sure of that.   I do think we will have better temperatures to work with for sure.

Hey, I’m on the record early, that this year will be better for those south of N. Worcester county, and south of NE Mass in SNE.  That’s my feeling and take.  Imo it cant get much worse than a 12” total last year for my area… so up it is for this season.  Average is looking real nice right about now. 

• Weenie 1