joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
TS Ophelia

GaWx

More from the 11AM NHC PTC #16 advisory:

WIND:  Tropical storm conditions are expected to first reach the
coast within the warning area in North Carolina on Friday, and 
spread northward Friday night and Saturday.

RAINFALL:  The system is forecast to produce 2 to 4 inches of 
rainfall, with localized amounts of 6 inches, across the eastern 
Mid-Atlantic states from North Carolina to New Jersey, Friday 
through Sunday. This rainfall may produce localized urban and small 
stream flooding impacts.

SURF:  Swells generated by this system will be affecting much of 
the east coast of the United States through this weekend.  These 
swells are likely to cause life-threatening surf and rip current 
conditions.  Please consult products from your local weather office.

11 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

giphy.gif

Seeing that LLC become better defined, but like the NHC stated, center reformations will be possible. We'll see how the next few hours go, but it's coming together. Likely won't become tropical until it's closing in on NC.

This is a good point, because reformation adds uncertainty to the track. Hopefully the 18z HAFS will shed some light on the evolution. Seeing all that lightning arcing around the circulation leads me to believe this is developing rather quickly.

• Scott747 changed the title to PTC Sixteen

3 minutes ago, NJsnow89 said:

Weak storm. It’ll feel like a typical noreaster

There will be a very long fetch of wind off the Atlantic for a rather long time the center north and northeast is going to get significant coastal flooding, Gusty winds, plenty of fresh water flooding on top of oceanic flooding while it will be like a noreaster it is going to be a significant weather maker that will definitely be disruptive of course as modeled. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I reside almost, (On the sound) in Surf City.. 

Water temp(s) BEACH FRONT, are at 80F (depending where), here at Surf City it's @ 79.3 F...

East/North East winds are already screaming, gust(s) up to 30MPH..

Wind Average
2 min ago NE 20 mph
5 min ago NE 21 mph
10 min ago NE 21 mph
15 min ago NE 21 mph
30 min ago NE 22 mph
60 min ago NE 19 mph

Haven't checked the tides yet,, though on Sloop Point Road, down by the Marsh Bridge, It's already being (almost), over topped.. (Mid-Tide).. 

It's already looking "Ugly" on the beach Strand.. 

ophila.JPG

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

About to become Ophelia, TS could approach cat-1 intensity by 18z before landfall e NC, an over performer can be expected, I believe, in terms of rain, wind and surge, especially rain. Parts of VA and central MD, even se PA, n/c NJ could see flooding rainfalls of 6-10 inches. Axis of heavy rain RIC to IAD to 50eCXY to 30nw EWR ahead of and to west of advancing low center. Model QPF seems a bit displaced to east of where climatology suggests, along and just west of track of low. Slight tornadic risk Delmarva and s NJ on Saturday as storm becomes extratropical and fronts rotate around it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

About to become Ophelia, TS could approach cat-1 intensity by 18z before landfall e NC, an over performer can be expected, I believe, in terms of rain, wind and surge, especially rain. Parts of VA and central MD, even se PA, n/c NJ could see flooding rainfalls of 6-10 inches. Axis of heavy rain RIC to IAD to 50eCXY to 30nw EWR ahead of and to west of advancing low center. Model QPF seems a bit displaced to east of where climatology suggests, along and just west of track of low. Slight tornadic risk Delmarva and s NJ on Saturday as storm becomes extratropical and fronts rotate around it. 

Don't want no damage path of any type with this storm system , but we desperately need a steady soaking in the central Shenandoah Valley of VA ....  1.81 in my backyard since August 1st.... severe drought designation now by Noaa...

10 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Numerous buoy wind readings over 50 mph. Several reporting stations on land with sustained TS winds already with more reporting gusts to TS force. Pretty long duration event for parts of the sound will really work to drive up water levels. 

Which ones are already at sustained TS conditions? I aint denying it, I am just wondering where to find these stations. Also I posted in another thread but thought I would post here aswell, but maybe the beginning workings of a core? 

3107bd4f9a2d87a530593f46eb739cd4.png

Here it is KLTX

c1d0a8004a658862ca0af6664412d254.png

Kinda intrigued by the curve look. However, from satellite it seems the circulation is displaced to the south of this, so I am unsure. Thoughts would be appreciated

8 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Haven’t seen a land reporting station gusting over 30 yet

Cape Hatteras is gusting to 31 :P

Beaufort Smith Field (KMRH) now gusting to 33 mph as well and Cherry Point to 37.  Should pick up later this afternoon. 

Aso, Buoy off the coast of Carolina gusting to 62 mph. 

Screenshot_2023-09-22-11-02-27-70_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

There has been a lot of discussion in whether or not this should be classified because it has a front attached to it.  I’m wondering at what point would the NHC ignore this (let’s say if they find hurricane intensity winds eventually).  Do you all think the NHC would ignore the frontal nature and just name it anyway for public awareness?  Not saying that happens here but just as a discussion point

• Weenie 1

• Scott747 changed the title to TS Ophelia