WxWatcher007

EPS US landfalls:

9/10 12Z: 10 (20%): 6 ME, 3 MA, 1 RI

9/10 0Z: 3 (6%): 1 ME, 2 MA

9/9 12Z: 6 (12%) 9/17-19 (3 ME, 3 MA)
9/9 0Z: 3 (6%) 9/17 (3 ME)
9/8 12Z: 5 (10%) 9/15-18 (5 ME) 
9/8 0Z: 7 (14%) 9/15-17 (6 ME, 1 NY)
9/7 12Z: 12 (24%) 9/15-19 (7 ME, 3 MA, 1 NY, 1 NJ)
9/7 0Z: 10 (20%) 9/15-18 (5 ME, 5 MA)
9/6 12Z: 3 (6%) 9/15-18 (2 ME, 1 MA)
9/6 0Z: 5 (10%)
9/5 12Z: 2 (4%)
9/5 0Z: 4 (8%) 
9/4 12Z: 1 (2%) 
9/4 0Z: 2 (4%)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GaWx said:

How accurate are those two tropical models for track vs the main global models?

At least compared to the HWRF/HMON the HAFS was about 15% better on track while it was in the experimental phase the last few years and only expected to improve. So any shifts they show should be noteworthy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not doing another long post right now but looking at the general trend in the steering pattern across guidance I update my odds to the following:

—50% LF risk Atlantic Canada with the bulk of that risk in Nova Scotia. It’s becoming increasingly likely that the second trough pulls this on an extended northward heading.

—30% New England (10% SNE/20% ENE) which is slightly more aggressive than the ensembles. 

—20% OTS because respect still needs to be given to eastward shifts or a sharper turn caused by the first trough. Either way, it’s looking increasingly likely a close call occurs even in this scenario for Atlantic Canada.

If the general trend west/more impactful continues through the 12z suite tomorrow, then I believe this becomes something more legitimate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Not doing another long post right now but looking at the general trend in the steering pattern across guidance I update my odds to the following:

—50% LF risk Atlantic Canada with the bulk of that risk in Nova Scotia. It’s becoming increasingly likely that the second trough pulls this on an extended northward heading.

—30% New England (10% SNE/20% ENE) which is slightly more aggressive than the ensembles. 

—20% OTS because respect still needs to be given to eastward shifts or a sharper turn caused by the first trough. Either way, it’s looking increasingly likely a close call occurs even in this scenario for Atlantic Canada.

If the general trend west/more impactful continues through the 12z suite tomorrow, then I believe this becomes something more legitimate.

Based on the significant increase in 12Z EPS and 12Z/18Z GEFS US landfalls together with the threat largely being within only one week now meaning model trends are increasingly statistically significant, I'm increasing my US landfall chance from 10% back up to the 20% I was at originally.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 3

57 minutes ago, cardinalland said:

a lot of these tracks in the GFS/GEFS remind me of Henri 2021 but stronger and more to the east. kind of an odd/rare track though

Track kinda, but Henri was a minimal hurricane at its peak and made landfall as a tropical storm. This could impact that area as an equivalent cat 2 hurricane with a massive windfield. I know it's weenie frowned upon here to bring up the certain S storm as comparison, but it seems that's the most comparable storm in recent history. 

• Like 5

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Category Five Hurricane Lee