• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2023 General Discussion

Chambana

115+ heat index potential on the way for Tuesday for this area.  Dews likely near 80 with temps in the mid 90s.  Some favored areas may see 82-84 degree dews with 120+ indices not out of the question.  Dews drop a tad for Wed/Thu, but ambient temps may make it to 100 both days.  Impressive stretch coming up. :popcorn:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

115+ heat index potential on the way for Tuesday for this area.  Dews likely near 80 with temps in the mid 90s.  Some favored areas may see 82-84 degree dews with 120+ indices not out of the question.  Dews drop a tad for Wed/Thu, but ambient temps may make it to 100 both days.  Impressive stretch coming up. :popcorn:

Top tier heat wave, just in time to have all the kids back in school. Probably going to see some early dismissals and such this week 

Heat indices around 120 a little west of KC where the extreme heat and western edge of the deep moisture overlap.  Lawrence KS is 109/73 with 123 heat index.  Just to the south in Ottawa it's 108/72 heat index 119.  Just to the west in the drier surface environment at Manhattan it's 114 degrees.  Even in Wichita they've beached the 110 mark.

3 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Warm and breezy yesterday, 83 for the high.  Warmest the point has the next 7 days is 80 on Thursday.  Don't mind at all escaping the heat wave.  

Comparing pics, looks as if leaves are running around 10 days ahead of last year.  Peak should be in 4 weeks if this holds.

Damn I’ll probably miss the peak. I’ll be heading to the newberry area end of next month

20 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Heat indices around 120 a little west of KC where the extreme heat and western edge of the deep moisture overlap.  Lawrence KS is 109/73 with 123 heat index.  Just to the south in Ottawa it's 108/72 heat index 119.  Just to the west in the drier surface environment at Manhattan it's 114 degrees.  Even in Wichita they've beached the 110 mark.

OUCH!

12 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

Damn I’ll probably miss the peak. I’ll be heading to the newberry area end of next month

This guy drive 500 plus miles a week documenting  the color change in the UP. You can follow for better area info. 

http://funintheup.com/fallcolors/upper-peninsula-fall-color-report.html

16 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

This guy drive 500 plus miles a week documenting  the color change in the UP. You can follow for better area info. 

http://funintheup.com/fallcolors/upper-peninsula-fall-color-report.html

Think the wildfire smoke being associated with less UV rays getting through could have an effect on colors?

7 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Think the wildfire smoke being associated with less UV rays getting through could have an effect on colors?

Not sure. I’ve wondered that myself. 
Drought conditions in the western UP play a role I’m sure. There’s also been some pretty cool nights there as well. 
In my area, there’s been plenty of rain all summer, so idk. 

18 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

By the end of the month, the average-wet first half of August will be a distant memory.  There is little, if any, rain in sight.

Had hoped the slug of Pacific moisture from Hilary would kick-start something but it appears its mostly going to get wrung out over the west and anything left will go over the ridge way to the north.

3 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Had hoped the slug of Pacific moisture from Hilary would kick-start something but it appears its mostly going to get wrung out over the west and anything left will go over the ridge way to the north.

Gave me an idea for a fun concept. What if the moisture and low associated with Hillary was able to produce a derecho along the ridge if thats even possible

• Haha 1

I'm usually not too impressed by "heatwaves," especially in recent years, but if the forecast for midweek verifies it'll be getting into some rarefied territory for this neck of the woods, for anytime really but especially this late in the summer. Been kinda rolling my eyes at all the media blather about record-shattering heat all around the world while we've been locked in this relatively mild summer pattern in the western Great Lakes, but it looks like it's finally our turn to pay the piper.

Excessive Heat Watch now hoisted for Dane County Tuesday-Thursday.

For our resident southern Wisconsin climo expert @madwx, when was the last time we were under one for that long a duration?

19 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I'm usually not too impressed by "heatwaves," especially in recent years, but if the forecast for midweek verifies it'll be getting into some rarefied territory for this neck of the woods, for anytime really but especially this late in the summer. Been kinda rolling my eyes at all the media blather about record-shattering heat all around the world while we've been locked in this relatively mild summer pattern in the western Great Lakes, but it looks like it's finally our turn to pay the piper.

Excessive Heat Watch now hoisted for Dane County Tuesday-Thursday.

For our resident southern Wisconsin climo expert @madwx, when was the last time we were under one for that long a duration?

The last Excessive Heat Watch for us was July 21-22, 2016 but that was only for 31 hours.

July 17-20, 2011 we were under an EH Watch for 81 hours that was the last one longer than this.

Those have been our only two in the past 15 years.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Warm and breezy yesterday, 83 for the high.  Warmest the point has the next 7 days is 80 on Thursday.  Don't mind at all escaping the heat wave.  

Comparing pics, looks as if leaves are running around 10 days ahead of last year.  Peak should be in 4 weeks if this holds.

Interesting you say that because Ive been driving around Muskoka-Algonquin area east of Georgian Bay and thought the leaves seemed a bit ahead of schedule. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madwx said:

The last Excessive Heat Watch for us was July 21-22, 2016 but that was only for 31 hours.

July 17-20, 2011 we were under an EH Watch for 81 hours that was the last one longer than this.

Those have been our only two in the past 15 years.

Kinda surprised there wasn't one in 2012, but other than that year 1995 is the only one that sticks out in my mind for heat.

• Like 1