Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Saturday, July 29, 2023 Thunderstorms

weatherwiz

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Pretty weak sauce severe season overall region wide, but at least there’s been some action. Some areas got a few good storms over the last 6-8 weeks.

Immediate Boston metro has done exceptionally well the last 6-8 weeks with storms including today. Theme of what seems like the last decade is storms die out to nothing the closer they get here, not this year

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Immediate Boston metro has done exceptionally well the last 6-8 weeks with storms including today. Theme of what seems like the last decade is storms die out to nothing the closer they get here, not this year

Almost a bullseye there in the city for once.  It’s been decent at home too. Nothing crazy, but active. A bit better towards BOS and just south of me. 

12 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

“Easton MA has numerous trees down including on Prospect St, Washington ST, School St,Poquanticut Avenue, Heath Road, Beaver Dam Road #mawx @jimcantore”

School St is a mess. Everything else is fake news 

One dead tree down in someone’s front yard on beaver dam rd. Nothing on heath rd or prospect st.

Not sure any of it is a tornado though 

51 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

One dead tree down in someone’s front yard on beaver dam rd. Nothing on heath rd or prospect st.

I saw a bunch of pics from Easton, Brockton, and west Bridgewater.

18 minutes ago, JJBASHB said:

Good amount of trees uprooted and snapped in Easton from Bay road to Kennedy circle per a post on Facebook storm chasers page.  

Crazy how localized it is. My sister in law lives in ridgewood rd, which is literally about a quarter mile or less from Kennedy circle and absolutely nada there

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It's definitely going to be a tornado. I'm following along as BOX uploads the damage points into our system, and it looks like mostly (all?) tree damage. High end EF0/low end EF1 type stuff. The still photo in the tweet above you can get the sense of what BOX is looking for beyond the damage itself. You can see the downed trees, while chaotic, are crossing paths showing convergent wind vs divergent straight line.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

It's definitely going to be a tornado. I'm following along as BOX uploads the damage points into our system, and it looks like mostly (all?) tree damage. High end EF0/low end EF1 type stuff. The still photo in the tweet above you can get the sense of what BOX is looking for beyond the damage itself. You can see the downed trees, while chaotic, are crossing paths showing convergent wind vs divergent straight line.

Interesting…. Like I said above, my sister in law lives 2 streets over from Kennedy circle and there isn’t so much as a twig down there.

couldn’t have been very wide or on the ground very long.

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Crazy how localized it is. My sister in law lives in ridgewood rd, which is literally about a quarter mile or less from Kennedy circle and absolutely nada there

It really is, especially with EF0-1 tornados that end up 50-150 yards wide.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Interesting…. Like I said above, my sister in law lives 2 streets over from Kennedy circle and there isn’t so much as a twig down there.

couldn’t have been very wide or on the ground very long.

Based on the warning motion vector and the damage path, it was on the ground for around 8 or 9 minutes. Which matches the TDS, it was there for two scans which is at least 4 minutes but not quite 10. 

It's also clear that this wasn't continuously on the ground either. There are lots of roads it crossed without any damage indicated by BOX so far. So a weaker circulation that was "skipping" is likely. 

2 minutes ago, JJBASHB said:

It really is, especially with EF0-1 tornados that end up 50-150 yards wide.  

Yeah most of the time the tornado path looks like it's around 300 yard (but some of that could be RFD damage, hard to say when it's all sporadic trees), and at its widest around 450 yards. From the centerline to Ridgewood was nearly 3/4 of a mile. Far enough that could've been NBD. Given the environment, the RFD would've been the next windiest part of the storm, and a good deal south of Ridgewood. This wasn't the type of storm with a massive forward flank wind on it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah most of the time the tornado path looks like it's around 300 yard (but some of that could be RFD damage, hard to say when it's all sporadic trees), and at its widest around 450 yards. From the centerline to Ridgewood was nearly 3/4 of a mile. Far enough that could've been NBD. Given the environment, the RFD would've been the next windiest part of the storm, and a good deal south of Ridgewood. This wasn't the type of storm with a massive forward flank wind on it.

Really good info, I way underestimated the width.