• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 9th - 11th significant flood event

ineedsnow

Just awful.  Stating the obvious here but the recovery efforts are going to be $$$ and last for months.

Vermont's topography and the fact that most towns are settled along the rivers in the valley make it a "perfect" candidate for significant flooding.  The water just has nowhere to go.

And it's not like these are people building new multi-million dollar homes along the floodplains of prime hurricane country.  These are hundreds of years old settlements.  That is to say, you can't fault anyone for the losses they're experiencing.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

On your way back park at the discovery center in Turners Falls and walk down to see the floodgates on the Dam. Pretty spectacular.

ya thats what I wanted to go to.. I dont know why I was thinking about the bridge of flowers but it was wild and that bridge was scary to walk over lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Wife snapped a couple. But it’s really just like one massive waterway/lake all along I-89 between the Greens.  Just water filled in the whole valley.

1A980814-31B2-461A-848D-36689C5E424C.thumb.jpeg.1a5b9775c35a6c18f49df85fe501103f.jpeg

Is that the Richmond Park and Ride?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

Just awful.  Stating the obvious here but the recovery efforts are going to be $$$ and last for months.

Vermont's topography and the fact that most towns are settled along the rivers in the valley make it a "perfect" candidate for significant flooding.  The water just has nowhere to go.

And it's not like these are people building new multi-million dollar homes along the floodplains of prime hurricane country.  These are hundreds of years old settlements.  That is to say, you can't fault anyone for the losses they're experiencing.

Vermont also has a massive housing shortage which will make it even harder on the displaced.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, eyewall said:

A friend of mine (Sam Cantell) sent me this pic overlooking the dam in Winooski. I have taken many flood shots from the platform across the river in this image but today it is cut off and closed. The path by the mill is flooded and some water is pouring onto the platform. If I was there I could use the new LAANC system to get approval to fly a drone over the river there but alas I am not (BTV airport is close by).

No photo description available.

Ummm….which side of the building is the river?

1 hour ago, klw said:

Is that the Richmond Park and Ride?

Yes. I just came back from buying a dehumidifier up at the Williston Home Depot. The fields all the way up looked like lakes. It looked like there were about 15 cars in the park and ride. A couple of them were parked on a tiny corner that looked like it may have saved them from being completely submerged. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, klw said:

Vermont also has a massive housing shortage which will make it even harder on the displaced.

It’s going to have a huge impact on lots of things in Vermont.  It’s going to be interesting to see if isome of the investors leave or if it impacts Airbnb proceeds enough to result in eventually an unwinding of some of the Covid driven housing demand.  It has seemed for the past year or two like everyone in the country wanted to either move to VT or own investment property in Vermont.  For us we were terrified that our rental would flood and we would have to leave VT because we would have no where to live.  Seriously was thinking my husband would have to quit his job in Vermont.  He is a healthcare worker at the hospital so he is needed in Vermont but housing is so challenging that people who want to live in Vermont and who have jobs in Vermont have to leave because there nothing to live in.  In the short run this storm will make the situation which is already dire, much worse.  

On 7/9/2023 at 7:50 PM, powderfreak said:

SE flow ahead of the system hammering the east side of Mount Mansfield up here.

Already 1.25”+ at base of the ski area compared to an inch less on western slope.

0586D68C-B027-4F7A-99AE-B82465BC5A5D.jpeg.3f1151a77bdb0abc49a938f4ea6b14ec.jpeg

The early observations, and final rainfall totals really showed the topographical effects of this event.

It was a textbook SE flow orographic event that coupled with favorable upper level dynamics.

High moisture levels (high dews and PWATS), abnormally strong prolonged moisture transport, with the NWS noting closed circulations aloft over western NY as the event developed... that just funnels moisture from the Atlantic up into the terrain reaching from western CT/adjacent NY northward through the eastern slopes of the Greens.

In Vermont, there was low level orographics coupling with favorable upper level lift that took this precipitation event into historic levels.  Just a wave of moisture into the terrain off the Atlantic, with peak efficiency occurring on the east slopes like a blocked flow. Best lift was upstream of the barrier and in the zone of rising air out of the upper CT/White River Valley.

360088579_656071436554141_25270939720407

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1