Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July Banter 2023

George BM

7 minutes ago, H2O said:

I understand what you mean.  A team can get better thru good coaching and just being lucky when some new kids move into the area and help make the team better.  Thats when a team can start that rise up.  Sometimes a team being down low isn't always a sign they have been bad for years.  It could have been a sudden loss of one age group or people moving and so on.  We have gone from D17 to where we are now thru great coaching and just a good group of kids that listen and swim hard.  We have some kids that swim year round but a lot don't.  Mine don't.  What I've noticed is how many kids from D8 up DO swim year round.  Thats what happens with the rise up.  These teams and kids and parents are ALL about swimming.  I'll take wherever we get put but the NVSL should warn the pools we will face that we are a janky pool with janky facilities and one janky ass chief timer as well.  

A story i heard from my pool's coach that happened at this years all star relays.  For warm ups the rule is that kids dive in, swim down, get out, and walk around and repeat.  You aren't allowed to practice starts and all that.  They are just trying to let kids get in to warm up.  There was one D1 team that rhymes with Buckatoe that their kids started to work on starts and turns and all that.  Our coach saw it cause we were next to them and said to the coach they weren't allowed to do it.  Their coach's response?  "Oh I don't care.  We will do it the way we want."  The kids for that team were told not to do it.  Their response?  "Coach said we could so we will."  A formal protest was filed against them because of it.  I'm sure nothing happened.  But thats the shit that happens at all stars.  The D1s just act like they own the place because they have over half the kids swimming.  

I have a loud voice.  I have made it a point to go to all stars to root four our kids and make sure these parents and coaches HEAR the name of our pool.  Just so they know.  

I have nothing to add but, lol @ four instead of for :P 

1 hour ago, H2O said:

I understand what you mean.  A team can get better thru good coaching and just being lucky when some new kids move into the area and help make the team better.  Thats when a team can start that rise up.  Sometimes a team being down low isn't always a sign they have been bad for years.  It could have been a sudden loss of one age group or people moving and so on.  We have gone from D17 to where we are now thru great coaching and just a good group of kids that listen and swim hard.  We have some kids that swim year round but a lot don't.  Mine don't.  What I've noticed is how many kids from D8 up DO swim year round.  Thats what happens with the rise up.  These teams and kids and parents are ALL about swimming.  I'll take wherever we get put but the NVSL should warn the pools we will face that we are a janky pool with janky facilities and one janky ass chief timer as well.  

A story i heard from my pool's coach that happened at this years all star relays.  For warm ups the rule is that kids dive in, swim down, get out, and walk around and repeat.  You aren't allowed to practice starts and all that.  They are just trying to let kids get in to warm up.  There was one D1 team that rhymes with Buckatoe that their kids started to work on starts and turns and all that.  Our coach saw it cause we were next to them and said to the coach they weren't allowed to do it.  Their coach's response?  "Oh I don't care.  We will do it the way we want."  The kids for that team were told not to do it.  Their response?  "Coach said we could so we will."  A formal protest was filed against them because of it.  I'm sure nothing happened.  But thats the shit that happens at all stars.  The D1s just act like they own the place because they have over half the kids swimming.  

I have a loud voice.  I have made it a point to go to all stars to root four our kids and make sure these parents and coaches HEAR the name of our pool.  Just so they know.  

100% agreed that the kids can improve via coaching. We're lucky to have the coaching staff we have, but we might have one more year with the head coach we have now because he'll be graduating from college in a couple years and has plans and an "in" to coach at at a certain higher-level club. We just need to have a succession plan to keep us rolling!

The vast majority of our kids come from the neighborhood our pool is in, but we're an open pool and can get families from anywhere. There's just never been an outreach program, but that's something we've started to do in the last two years and it's beginning to pay off. Honestly, though...I don't want to be massive, but I do want the coaches to be able to go into a meet with the ability to fill all the lanes and put together a somewhat competitive set of relays!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Huge win. Rays struggling. O's did what they had to. Such a winnable  division.  Where's the threat? Rays? Jay's? Sox? Should be at top of the east at the end. 

Who would of thought a month ago with the way the Rays were playing the Os had a chance at the division. 

Long way to go.

1 hour ago, Stormpc said:

Huge win. Rays struggling. O's did what they had to. Such a winnable  division.  Where's the threat? Rays? Jay's? Sox? Should be at top of the east at the end. 

Um. what are you going on about? The AL east is loaded. the worst record is four games above .500.  The Orioles should be proud as hell to be in this position, because nothing comes easy. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Um. what are you going on about? The AL east is loaded. the worst record is four games above .500.  The Orioles should be proud as hell to be in this position, because nothing comes easy. 

Hardly loaded. No one in that division scares you. In fact the Orioles are probably the most dangerous at this point right now. It's theirs to lose.

• Weenie 1

It is literally the best division in baseball by about four universes and you acted like the Os are gonna cakewalk to the division title. That is a weird take.  The O's have had an amazing year, and they've earned the hell out of being atop baseball's best division at this point - especially given that the Rays started 13-0. 

• Like 1

Opportunity/chance to win is hardly a cakewalk. Especially since they have no pedigree on this version of the team. They are right where they're supposed to be. Yankees are trending down and may sell. Jay's can't pitch. Boston and Rays...eh. Deadline deals will be a huge player. 

• Weenie 1

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Can’t argue that the AL east isn’t the best division. Sadly, they play each other so much that they beat each other up. Come playoff time, the teams in the weaker divisions have the advantage because they aren’t playing every division game for their lives. Bullpens get beat up in the East.

Just my take.

The good news is with the more balanced schedule they only play each division foe 13 times instead of 19.

Tough division and alot of games to go. Whoever wins the division it will definitely be well deserved. 

Feels like the Os are a year, maybe 2 ahead of schedule. 

Young, talented, lots of team speed. Alot to like if your an Os fan.

• Like 2

Went to the game yesterday and it is a great feeling to not worry when going down 2-0 in the top of the first.  This team has so much drive and they never quit.  A much different face of the franchise than before last year.  It's refreshing to see. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CAPE said:

Os made a minor trade and got a bullpen arm. Dude was terrible as a starter but has pitched pretty well lately as a reliever. We'll see.

https://theathletic.com/4705024/2023/07/19/orioles-athletics-fujinami-trade/

Now go get a legit starter.

Me: I want to trade for a Japanese pitcher!

Mom: We have a Japanese pitcher at home.

At home:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, CAPE said:

Os made a minor trade and got a bullpen arm. Dude was terrible as a starter but has pitched pretty well lately as a reliever. We'll see.

https://theathletic.com/4705024/2023/07/19/orioles-athletics-fujinami-trade/

Now go get a legit starter.

I'm all in favor of bolstering the rotation but not at the expense of too much young talent. And the ones I'd be in favor of trading (e.g., Cowser and Stowers) have struggled so far and probably wouldn't get much back that's any better than what we have. (I was surprised to see that Wells is leading the league in WHIP, which is important given how many HRs he gives up.) I can't see Elias parting with Holliday, for instance. Ohtani would be a lot of fun, but he's a rental who's not going to sign in Baltimore for the long term. 

That said, this is a very balanced lineup. According to Baseball Reference, six of the O's nine starters have OPSs over .800. That's counting Hicks, but Mullins cannot get back too soon since I don't trust a 33-year-old with a lifetime 97 OPS+  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, H2O said:

The shame of being a WTF fan is finally over. That little asshole got a big payday but he’s gone as owner now

I do like the nice fine they gave him on the way out the door.  Odds he takes them to court? 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic