Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Banter 2023

George BM

On 7/3/2023 at 3:56 PM, WxWatcher007 said:

Chasing out west for my upcoming birthday and spotted this dust devil (or landspout? :weenie:) in Wisconsin. 

f0t7lvL.jpg

Run through it, if it's something benign! One of my fondest memories is my 30th birthday, my girlfriend (now my wife) and I went to Death Valley on August 21 (my birthday) when it was 122 in the shade at the Furnace Creek Visitor Center. Many dust devils. I pulled over to the side of the road and ran out into one and danced around. My gf thought I was crazy, which I was and am, but it's one of those things I'll never forget. Tried to get her to do it with me but she wouldn't. After we were married a few years later, I said I would have proposed to her while in the middle of a dust devil in Death Valley but I don't think she bought that.

• Like 3

Chaser Report: 7/4/23 :weenie:

Yesterday was fantastic. It started with storms in Sioux Falls and it was a lot of driving from Sioux Falls to Kearney, NE. I was between going to CO or heading to KS, but decided to head to the high plains. In NE CO, everything was collapsing and that eventually led me south in eastern Colorado and then west when the target was acquired. 

yOK1dMh.jpg

s97d5lx.jpg

It was a nice supercell initially but kept cycling. There was a report of a funnel cloud, and if you look closely maybe you can see one, but in real time it didn’t stand out as such.

Very quickly after this storm departed, a big dog line rapidly formed to the west near Denver. As we were traveling toward Denver you could see the massive complex come together with frequent lightning and a clear hail core.

We stopped in Bennett and it was a good call. The storm was hellacious. Here’s a new video of what it looked like. Areas just west reported winds between 60-67mph.

Yesterday was long but a great early birthday present. Hoping for more action today in CO or NM.

• Like 11

Checking back in after getting back from a trip to Greece, and those who encouraged me to go were so right. Went to a friend's milestone bday celebration in Rhodes followed by few days in Athens. Landed at IAD around 8-830 pm last night and immediately thought - whoa now there's a summer sunset, ours are so much more interesting :lol: but seriously... it was beautiful and I'm so so glad I went! I think I may have heard but not seen some DC fireworks (?) as I finally reached my car, it was dark enough, but idk. Maybe I will post some Greece pics but not too weather-related...hope all are doing well and had a happy 4th.  @WxWatcher007I've been scrolling through your pics just now they are amaaaazing!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Meh day here in CO but my luck continues because I captured a brief time lapse of the one severe warned storm in the area today. Dropped 1” hail according to a spotter report. 

Happy birthday to me lol

Happy Birthday Retired Reaper! :tomato:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Meh day here in CO but my luck continues because I captured a brief time lapse of the one severe warned storm in the area today. Dropped 1” hail according to a spotter report. 

Happy birthday to me lol

Happy Birthday! Hope you get more cool weather soon.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Happy birthday to me lol

Good morning WW007. What to get for a person who gives more than gets. I’ve got it! ……. May you have many decades more. As always …..

IMG_5801.jpeg

• Like 4

On 7/5/2023 at 11:15 AM, WxWatcher007 said:

Chaser Report: 7/4/23 :weenie:

Yesterday was fantastic. It started with storms in Sioux Falls and it was a lot of driving from Sioux Falls to Kearney, NE. I was between going to CO or heading to KS, but decided to head to the high plains. In NE CO, everything was collapsing and that eventually led me south in eastern Colorado and then west when the target was acquired. 

yOK1dMh.jpg

s97d5lx.jpg

It was a nice supercell initially but kept cycling. There was a report of a funnel cloud, and if you look closely maybe you can see one, but in real time it didn’t stand out as such.

Very quickly after this storm departed, a big dog line rapidly formed to the west near Denver. As we were traveling toward Denver you could see the massive complex come together with frequent lightning and a clear hail core.

We stopped in Bennett and it was a good call. The storm was hellacious. Here’s a new video of what it looked like. Areas just west reported winds between 60-67mph.

Yesterday was long but a great early birthday present. Hoping for more action today in CO or NM.

Happy hunting! And happy belated birthday.
A side benefit chasing out there at least for me, is the scenery. Some might say “lack of” but that very starkness appeals to me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

A side benefit chasing out there at least for me, is the scenery. Some might say “lack of” but that very starkness appeals to me.

I have absolutely loved it out here, and I agree. The landscape is so beautiful. To be available to see as far as your eyes can take you is a wonderful thing. Every time I come to Colorado in particular I love it more. 

On 7/5/2023 at 11:57 AM, Kay said:

Checking back in after getting back from a trip to Greece, and those who encouraged me to go were so right. Went to a friend's milestone bday celebration in Rhodes followed by few days in Athens. Landed at IAD around 8-830 pm last night and immediately thought - whoa now there's a summer sunset, ours are so much more interesting :lol: but seriously... it was beautiful and I'm so so glad I went! I think I may have heard but not seen some DC fireworks (?) as I finally reached my car, it was dark enough, but idk. Maybe I will post some Greece pics but not too weather-related...hope all are doing well and had a happy 4th.  @WxWatcher007I've been scrolling through your pics just now they are amaaaazing!

awesome, glad you ended up going...we went in april and it was amazing...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Happy birthday to me lol

Happy late Birthday! Hope you hit a jackpot of a storm!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Yep, there is something about looking out in a direction from a small hill (doesn't have to be much) and seeing forever, especially in storm season. 

• Like 1

Today’s my final chase day, and it’s the toughest yet. We have the ingredients for a significant severe event today, but capping may be an issue.

Last night, I was planning to set up shop in Lamar. Early this morning (around 5am local) it looked like Pueblo would be the spot. Then after sunrise and seeing the clearing here in Denver and stratus further south, I decided to stay here until things fire…if at all. It’s a good forecasting challenge, that I hope bears fruit.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic