Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

I've been in 2 complete whiteouts (will note only the 1st), both ground blizzards on sunny days.  On a late January Saturday in 1971, I was headed home from a ski week at the old Glen Ellen.  We'd had about 4" pow overnight and a strong north wind was blowing down Champlain as I crossed the bridge to Crown Point, NY.  There had been a head-on crash just past the NY end of the bridge with a 3rd, less damaged, car just departing on the tow truck.  I followed the blinking yellow light until it got too far ahead - the driver was 5-6 feet higher than me in my Nova, might've given him a bit better view - mine was maybe 15 feet at best.  After that I had 3 miles of white-knuckle driving at 10 mph or less.  Met only one vehicle and only saw its headlights when it was <10 yards distant, but at our crawl speed we managed to avoid each other.  Fortunately, the snowbanks were low so the snow was blowing across the road more than piling up - my major fear was getting stuck in a drift.
I then worked off the adrenaline by maxing out the little straight 6 cyl Nova, going 85-90 down the interstate, which was educational - filled up after that run and saw the car had gotten 14 mpg rather than its usual 22.  :nerdsmiley:

You have some of the best stories on this site

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Gfs has been struggling mightily this month 

Euro too. They’ve both been mostly awful here imo.

2 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Back half of July and most of August wasn't that bad if I remember right. It finally cleared up and we got some decent heat for those of us who like some warm to hot summer weather. But June was terrible, just like this. 

At my place, the 1st eight days of June 2009 brought nary a trace.  From June 9 thru August 3, eight weeks, we had only 7 days without rain with >17" total.  The rest of August was AN for rain, but it came in bunches with considerable dry days in between.  Met summer that year had just over 2 feet of rain.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

You have some of the best stories on this site

Thanks!  It's an "art" I've cultivated for a long time.  At age 9 (in 1955) I was at a YMCA summer camp in NNJ and won the Tall Tale contest. :lol: 
And due to your comment, I may be "forced" to describe whiteout #2, on the Trans Canada, in April no less.  But not right now . . .

Back on topic, we had about 0.4" from 10A thru just after noon, no rumbles except on the roof during the heavier showers.  Power was off from 1-1:45 PM, local website said a pole was down on Starks Road (aka Rt 134) but 45 minutes seems too short to fix that.

Hopefully winter is a furnace

If I get snow like in the 2022-23 furnace, bring it on.  (Except that it shouldn't be a mega-ratter for most of SNE/MA.)

• Like 1