Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

I was not aware the Ramapo fault could harbor a mag 6+ risk:

https://www.earth.columbia.edu/articles/view/2235

That would have to be a ‘full margin rupture,’ or the majority of the length of the fault slipping at once. These ancient ‘inactive’ faults from past geological eras are tricky because they can be dormant for a very long time and suddenly awaken. Think the New Madrid quakes which were catastrophic, though we wouldn’t see anything reaching that level here. A 6-7 though would obviously be very damaging in this region. It’s interesting because we’re so far away from a plate boundary (hence the Ramapo is an ancient fault from the time of Pangea), it’s believed stress is slowly loaded on the fault by the mid Atlantic ridge under Iceland, all that distance from here. It makes total sense, it’s just not very obvious.  

My personal opinion is that we have no idea of the recurrence time, it could be thousands of years between those kind of full margin quakes at a slow fault like this, so it’s most likely not something we’d have to worry about in our lifetimes. 

Still, interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I was not aware the Ramapo fault could harbor a mag 6+ risk:

https://www.earth.columbia.edu/articles/view/2235

That would have to be a ‘full margin rupture,’ or the majority of the length of the fault slipping at once. These ancient ‘inactive’ faults from past geological eras are tricky because they can be dormant for a very long time and suddenly awaken. Think the New Madrid quakes which were catastrophic, though we wouldn’t see anything reaching that level here. A 6-7 though would obviously be very damaging in this region. It’s interesting because we’re so far away from a plate boundary (hence the Ramapo is an ancient fault from the time of Pangea), it’s believed stress is slowly loaded on the fault by the mid Atlantic ridge under Iceland, all that distance from here. It makes total sense, it’s just not very obvious.  

My personal opinion is that we have no idea of the recurrence time, it could be thousands of years between those kind of full margin quakes at a slow fault like this, so it’s most likely not something we’d have to worry about in our lifetimes. 

Still, interesting.

Interesting about Pangaea.  I wonder if there are old dinosaur bones buried deep under the Tristate area lol

• Like 1

@LibertyBell

Did you know the Palisades are a local outcrop of one of the largest flood basalt eruptions in the past billion years? CAMP - Central Atlantic Magmatic Province, an enormous series of lava flow eruptions along the seams of Pangea when it first began to break apart. We actually have some interesting geology in the region apart from the boring sedimentary coastal plain. At one point the Appalachians were earth’s Himalayas of the distant past, now long eroded to a mere shadow of their former enormity. 

We know flood basalts are most common under large stretches of continental crust (especially when the continents are in a supercontinent configuration), often coinciding with the rifting episodes that ultimately split them apart. It’s why a hypothesized location for earth’s next flood basalt is the East African Rift, where Somalia is slowly being separated from continental Africa and most of Africa’s extant volcanism is currently located. The Virunga plateau is a large magma bulge, and there could be something of a proto-plume down there which would one day yield a major flood basalt episode. This is like hundreds of thousands to millions of years in the future though. 

There hasn’t been a flood basalt episode on earth since the Columbia River Basalts of the PNW ~16mya, which is the hypothesized birth of the Yellowstone plume which traces to the Yellowstone supervolcano today. 

There’s also a supposed growing magma body under parts of New England, and the Adirondacks are some odd magmatic uplift feature and could also be a small plume in its early stages. Who knows what the distant future could hold there, could be some major volcanic episodes if the inflation that made the mountains continues. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Rjay said:

This argument is so old.

To the guys that keep acting like Bluewave has a bias: It just makes you look silly and the reasoning behind it is just sad.  

every winter is +5 now but newark's asos is too close to the runway 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

You should probably invest in a set up like this.;)

A wonderful Dad! This might be a good investment, farther north, as the years/decades accumulate. Sadly time will more likely accumulate faster than snow on our portion of the coastal plain. Thank you, BW for the video. As always ….

• Like 2

On 4/15/2024 at 7:52 AM, MJO812 said:

I'm buying this

Screenshot_20240415_074708_Amazon Shopping.jpg

does this really work?

when I was a kid I did something stupid and funny--

This was back in the early 80s we were living in an apartment in Brooklyn and I was pissed off because the weather people were always blowing their forecasts of snow and it never seemed to snow... it must have been 1980 or 1981 I would guess. 

My only justification for this is I was somewhere between 6-8 years old when this happened..... my parents were out shopping and I decided to make my own snow because I was pissed off that it wouldn't snow.  I took talcum powder and poured it all over our fans and turned them all on (we had a lot of table fans and ceiling fans, etc.)  Anyway as soon as I turned on all the fans, I was delighted because I could see it "snowing" everywhere as the talcum was blown around by the fans.  IT WAS JUST LIKE A REAL BLIZZARD!  But as soon as I came to my senses I realized that everything had turned white and my parents would be very angry when they got home so I quickly wiped everything off.  Only problem was our one TV in the house had also turned white and it had little airholes in the back and the white powder got stuck in there and I didn't quite know how to remove it from there so in my 6-8 year old panicked and frantic mind I decided to pour water in there to clean out the powder.  As you can guess this wasn't a good idea and the TV started to hum when I turned it on.  I could do nothing but turn it off and wait for it to dry out completely before it was safe to turn on again without the humming.

They did find out what I did when they came home and everything looked like it was covered in a hazy white mist lol.  My sister rubbed her eyes because she couldn't quite tell what happened.... until I explained what I did to everyone.

It goes right along with some of the other stuff I did around that same age.  I ate a couple of those magnets that you put on refrigerators to keep things in place because I saw iron being attracted to cartoon characters who ate magnets (Tom and Jerry I think.)  I also wanted to invent my own permanent battery free source of electricity for flashlights because I hated when batteries ran out so I decided to attach a piece of aluminum foil to a flashlight bulb and stick the other end of the foil in an electrical outlet.  When this didn't quite work I decided to stick the flashlight bulb directly into the electrical outlet and got the electrical jolt of my life (it felt like my insides were in the spin cycle of a washing machine) and my finger tip-- and the small flashlight bulb-- both turned ash black lol.  Again I was somewhere between 6-8 years old when all this happened.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Rjay said:

This argument is so old.

To the guys that keep acting like Bluewave has a bias: It just makes you look silly and the reasoning behind it is just sad.  

I'll just keep entertaining you all with what my 6-8 year old Dennis the Menace like self used to do to "make it snow" and to invent "limitless energy" and to become a "human magnet" lol.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

does this really work?

when I was a kid I did something stupid and funny--

This was back in the early 80s we were living in an apartment in Brooklyn and I was pissed off because the weather people were always blowing their forecasts of snow and it never seemed to snow... it must have been 1980 or 1981 I would guess. 

My only justification for this is I was somewhere between 6-8 years old when this happened..... my parents were out shopping and I decided to make my own snow because I was pissed off that it wouldn't snow.  I took talcum powder and poured it all over our fans and turned them all on (we had a lot of table fans and ceiling fans, etc.)  Anyway as soon as I turned on all the fans, I was delighted because I could see it "snowing" everywhere as the talcum was blown around by the fans.  IT WAS JUST LIKE A REAL BLIZZARD!  But as soon as I came to my senses I realized that everything had turned white and my parents would be very angry when they got home so I quickly wiped everything off.  Only problem was our one TV in the house had also turned white and it had little airholes in the back and the white powder got stuck in there and I didn't quite know how to remove it from there so in my 6-8 year old panicked and frantic mind I decided to pour water in there to clean out the powder.  As you can guess this wasn't a good idea and the TV started to hum when I turned it on.  I could do nothing but turn it off and wait for it to dry out completely before it was safe to turn on again without the humming.

They did find out what I did when they came home and everything looked like it was covered in a hazy white mist lol.  My sister rubbed her eyes because she couldn't quite tell what happened.... until I explained what I did to everyone.

It goes right along with some of the other stuff I did around that same age.  I ate a couple of those magnets that you put on refrigerators to keep things in place because I saw iron being attracted to cartoon characters who ate magnets (Tom and Jerry I think.)  I also wanted to invent my own permanent battery free source of electricity for flashlights because I hated when batteries ran out so I decided to attach a piece of aluminum foil to a flashlight bulb and stick the other end of the foil in an electrical outlet.  When this didn't quite work I decided to stick the flashlight bulb directly into the electrical outlet and got the electrical jolt of my life (it felt like my insides were in the spin cycle of a washing machine) and my finger tip-- and the small flashlight bulb-- both turned ash black lol.  Again I was somewhere between 6-8 years old when all this happened.....

This might be your best post. Also explains alot LOL

• Haha 1

There's a lot of sunspot activity on the sun right now.

I'm not good with post processing so I don't know how easy it will be to see them here, but there are three in the upper right, one in the middle, two in the lower right and one in the upper left.

I used a two filter stack for this image, one to block 99.9999% of sunlight and the other to block IR and UV.

It won't let me upload more than one image and not even the one with the sun the largest size (since those are all over 4 MB in size.)

DSCF8095sunnine.jpg

@donsutherland1 How long before we see Joe Bastardi pull out 95-96 and 10-11 as his “analogs” for next winter? He’s already wishcasting a hyper active Atlantic tropical season with recurving hurricanes so he can use the La Niña/high Atlantic ACE = -NAO winter theory (i.e. 1995)…….

• Haha 1