Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

19 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, we didn’t get as many days off for storms in the old days. I can still remember walking home from high school during the February 1983 blizzard. We all thought it was really cool. But the March 1984 big coastal flooding event may have been the wildest. Long Beach High School is right on Reynolds Channel in Lido Beach. The storm surge came over the bulkhead and flooded the whole area around the school. Waves were actually pushing into the parking lot and several teachers had to move there cars. The huge windows were flexing in with gusts to 70-75 off the bay. Then the power went out and they sent us home. Probably the heaviest wind driven sleet I have ever walked home from school in.

I remember getting out early for 83 but I lived down the street from the school so was no big deal. It started late morning where I was at the time and got so bad so fast they let us go at 1

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I remember getting out early for 83 but I lived down the street from the school so was no big deal. It started late morning where I was at the time and got so bad so fast they let us go at 1

The craziest was the early dismissal during the height of the 1938 hurricane.

https://www.greenwichtime.com/local/article/The-Hurricane-of-1938-5618878.php#photo-6591068

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, March 1984 was right up there for coastal flooding in Long Beach with Dec 73, Belle, and Feb 78. But Gloria and Dec 92 topped those 3. My first memory of coastal flooding was in Dec 73. Detroit got a great snowstorm and we got 75 mph winds and major coastal flooding. The school bus was driving through all the sand left in the streets of the West End when the ocean met the bay.

the majority of the 70s, 80s and the early and late 90s sounds a lot like what we have now.  This period of rainy winters for us lasted for (more or less) 30 years or so, do we see the same cyclic change now and if so, is it going to take 30 years to get rid of it again?

5 minutes ago, bluewave said:

https://www.greenwichtime.com/local/article/The-Hurricane-of-1938-5618878.php#photo-6591068

wow I wish we had some sort of realistic simulation that would show us what the 1938 hurricane was like in our local neighborhoods.

On 1/11/2024 at 9:21 AM, bluewave said:

We complain about busts these days, but that was the biggest bust ever as forecasts had it out to sea-no one knew it was even coming

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

I refuse to pay a streaming service to watch that game 

thank-you.gif

I don't care enough to even consider paying. NFL is now going down the same path the other major leagues have in trying their best to make the game inaccessible. I know it's banter, but having the games over the air and at no cost has helped them become the ratings juggernaut that they are. They're going to mess with the magic now. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

It's so disturbing that a playoff game isn't on regular tv. 

17 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Yeah its ridiculous 

2 minutes ago, North and West said:

thank-you.gif

I don't care enough to even consider paying. NFL is now going down the same path the other major leagues have in trying their best to make the game inaccessible. I know it's banter, but having the games over the air and at no cost has helped them become the ratings juggernaut that they are. They're going to mess with the magic now. 

If the nfl could make a buck selling oxygen they would…

it’s ridiculous to ask your loyal fans to pay to watch a game 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, North and West said:

thank-you.gif

Is it up to the nfl or NBC? Networks are slowly dying and know they need streaming customers to survive

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Is it up to the nfl or NBC? Networks are slowly dying and know they need streaming customers to survive

This.   The old model is a dinosaur-no one under 50 watches network tv or newcasts-granted the NFL has huge ratings but everything else is dwindling...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

I’m leaving for school on Monday but it’s nice to know I was the catalyst for this snow drought :axe:

Bruh I bought a WRX in 2019 because I spent the better part of the 2010’s risking my life in my 6 speed RWD 128i on my 60 mile commute west of NYC. Figured, I’m getting older let me finally be responsible. I used to borrow my dad’s truck or I’d probably be dead, but I didn’t always have it. Oh, and where I work would be open in the apocalypse, no such thing as a snow day, ever.

Got my WRX and a set of snow tires (comes with summers only - genius…) and I’ve needed them for precisely two months since I got all that. So it’s probably alL my fault anyway lol. :lol:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

This.   The old model is a dinosaur-no one under 50 watches network tv or newcasts-granted the NFL has huge ratings but everything else is dwindling...

I think the nfl is carrying most networks these days. No other shows come close to 10 million let alone the 20 to 30 football games get

• Like 2