Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2023 Lawn, Garden, Landscape Party Discussion

Damage In Tolland

4 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Is a curtain drain on the perimeter of the house? Or inside?

my neighbors house is pretty close to mine. I can’t imagine they’d have something like this dumping out 10 feet from the house 

If it was a drain you'd probably see it somewhere kinda bubbling up. You live in super high groundwater area, it's probably nothing. 

So I pulled that tree out and the hole filled with water, I pumped it down, and didn’t see any visible areas of water. I filled the hole with stone. It’s filled with water again today.

Im doubting whether it’s a spring. I think it might just be a low spot where the water accumulates off the small hill, plus the groundwater being so high 

33 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Does it matter? Once those microbes get into the soil I thought you were good to go. 

Pretty sure it would’ve washed down to the river today.

Soil temps are in the upper 40s so I wasn’t sure if there was a preferred temp to get them started. I need it to get soaked in before my chickens free range too. Guess I’ll  have to research it a bit. It seems like an easier option versus nematodes.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Soil temps are in the upper 40s so I wasn’t sure if there was a preferred temp to get them started. I need it to get soaked in before my chickens free range too. Guess I’ll  have to research it a bit. It seems like an easier option versus nematodes.

“Grubs have to eat milky spore for it to infect them, so the best time to apply milky spore is in early fall when grubs feed most actively. You can apply milky spore in spring and summer, as well, because grubs are present pretty much any time the ground isn’t frozen.

The ideal soil temperature for milky spore is between 60 and 70 degrees. This is another reason why fall, when temperatures are cooler, is the ideal time for milky spore applications.  “

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I also read it has to be for those that produce Japanese beetles. Otherwise it does not work.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that too, its only for that type of grub.  I've used milky spore in the past (not 2-3 years in a row) and didn't understand why I would still get grubs...  

13 hours ago, dendrite said:

One of the reasons I went the nematode route is because I didn't think our soil temps were ever consistently warm enough for it to be effective.  I get your concerns with using nematodes with chickens, though.  

I didn't realize grubex is using a new chemical that appears to be relatively safe and effective.

Chlorantraniliprole (AceleprynTM for commercial applicators, GrubExTM for homeowners) is a non-neonicotinoid insecticide that is extremely effective against all white grub species (as well as caterpillars) and has no activity against bees, ants, or wasps. The product also has a very low level of vertebrate toxicity, so much so that a signal word is not required on the label, not even ‘Caution’. An important aspect of using chlorantraniliprole is to account for the fact that it takes 60 to 90 days to fully dissipate in the soil for optimum effectiveness against grubs. Therefore, the preventive window is earlier than for the neonicotinoids, usually mid-April to early June in most years.

59 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I didn't realize grubex is using a new chemical that appears to be relatively safe and effective.

The product also has a very low level of vertebrate toxicity, so much so that a signal word is not required on the label, not even ‘Caution’.

That scares me off. Not messing with that with my chickens and all of the bugs and worms they eat.

I have a ton of japanese beetles. I want something that just tackles them.

45 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That scares me off. Not messing with that with my chickens and all of the bugs and worms they eat.

I have a ton of japanese beetles. I want something that just tackles them.

Aren't the grubs good for the chickens though? Or are they just too much for the property?