Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13-14th Nor'easter Threat

NJwx85

17 minutes ago, mannynyc said:

If you believe the global models yes

Plus RGEM and latest NAM 12k. So basically all the models. RAP and HRRR are still out of range so I wouldn’t put any credence in them, Euro has shifted over to the GFS, which is quite frankly embarrassing. UKIE is useless these days too.

NYC proper is pretty much out of it unless 1-3 inches of slop on street corners after an inch+ of rain is what you’re looking for. 

Just now, romba said:

Plus RGEM and latest NAM 12k. RAP and HRRR are still out of range so I wouldn’t out any credence in them, Euro has shifted over to the GFS, which is quite frankly embarrassing. UKiE is useless these days too.

NYC proper is pretty much out of it unless 1-3 inches of slop on street corners after an inch+ of rain is what you’re looking for. 

RGEM is showing a very different storm than the Euro and GFS. The low is significantly west. Just because it shows rain for the city doesn't mean it is the same storm.

Since 1956 there have been 4 10 plus inch snowfalls in March in NYC. 
Near misses April 6 1982 with 9.6, March 22 1967 9.0 inches , March 21, 2018 8.4, March 2 2009 8.3, March 14 2017 7.6, March 5 2015 7.5. Most of these at 10 inches recorded somewhere within the city boundaries. It’s not as rare as everyone seems to believe. People have short memories.

I lived in the lower Hudson valley for 25 years, as well as the DC suburbs and the elevations of northern MD. I’d take NY climo any day of the week if we’re talking about the average winter versus DC. It’s just easier to snow up that way. NYC sometimes deals with more maritime issues being directly on the Atlantic, but generally speaking, it’s much better than DC. Maryland is weird though, cause I’d take my climo in northern MD over NYC. I saw over 50” a few years ago while DC didn’t hit double digits. 30-40 miles makes all of the difference down there.

The one thing I will say is… the biggies that do work out for the mid Atlantic typically jackpot down there (January 2016 or snowmaggedon in 2010 for example)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mannynyc said:

RGEM is showing a very different storm than the Euro and GFS. The low is significantly west. Just because it shows rain for the city doesn't mean it is the same storm.

Different path to a similar outcome. I know RGEM has a warm bias but it would take a miracle at this point to get significant snows to the city.

It'll be interesting to see where the watches/warnings go up and how they align with the final totals in our area.  I'm at exactly 800 feet verified by GPS and topo map.  Parts of Morris County, Jefferson, Oak Ridge, Mount Arlington, are a few hundred feet higher than me, as are other parts of Sparta.  Even a portion of Rockway sits over 1000 feet.  
If anyone remembers March 31 - April 1, 1997.  We had a very elevation driven intense storm up here.  I remember leaving work in Morris Plains to a rain/snow mix, and nothing on the ground, to over a foot with stuck and abandoned cars on Route 15 once I hit the higher parts of Jefferson and into Sparta.  I was a kid all of 22 at the time, driving a stupid Saturn sedan back and forth to work.  I still don't know how I made it home in that thing.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, romba said:

Plus RGEM and latest NAM 12k. So basically all the models. RAP and HRRR are still out of range so I wouldn’t put any credence in them, Euro has shifted over to the GFS, which is quite frankly embarrassing. UKIE is useless these days too.

In other words, the snow would begin in about 36 hours but you are tossing all the global model runs other than the ones from the last 7 hours? I don't agree with that. The weather forecast models over history have notoriously shifted back and forth prior to storm events whether they verified or not. I think it's early and very exaggerated with such a close call to at this point say the NYC proper is "pretty much out of it".

WX/PT

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

In other words, the snow would begin in about 36 hours but you are tossing all the global model runs other than the ones from the last 7 hours? I don't agree with that. The weather forecast models over history have notoriously shifted back and forth prior to storm events whether they verified or not. I think it's early and very exaggerated with such a close call to at this point say the NYC proper is "pretty much out of it".

WX/PT

Very fair, but at this juncture I feel that with each passing 6 hours the odds of a significant correction get smaller and smaller. It’s getting late early, to quote the great Yogi.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blizzard Hunter said:

Correction from what though? Has any model shown the same solution consistently? 

Not really, but neither have we seen anything close to a hit with any consistency either. Just because there’s no consensus for exactly how it misses NYC proper, doesn’t mean there’s no consensus that it does miss.  Not the greatest logic I’ll admit, but there’s something to it.

45 minutes ago, romba said:

Very fair, but at this juncture I feel that with each passing 6 hours the odds of a significant correction get smaller and smaller. It’s getting late early, to quote the great Yogi.

Again don't agree. If we are getting heavy snow or moderate snow, it's the day after tomorrow. There is lots of time or corrections either way. Anyone remember Boxing Day?

WX/PT

• Like 1