Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 9-10 Winter Storm

madwx

2 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Hoping it's all rain and they are left with their pants down on this one.  MKE is 38F.  Going to take a lot of dynamic cooling to get it to where this piles up.

DVN went from 39 to 34 in less than an hour as precip moved in. So it can and will happen.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Are you serious right now?  The NWS did a wishy washy flip flopping in the last 12 hours.  General public went from "OMG winter storm watch" to "ok no big deal just a WWA" to now "it's a warning now?"  and the event hasn't even begun.  Too much flip flopping.  General public is now tuned out.  They are already laughing about it on Facebook.

One more thought, although I'm hijacking the thread. NWS is going to do away with all advisories in '24 or '25, then this argument will be moot. It will either be Watch, Warning, or plain language. If we want to further discuss, let's take it to the banter thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Well we had MKE office drop a big ball on this one.  Winter Storm Watch -> WWA -> Winter Storm Warning.  I'm sure that left the general public either confused or they have now tuned it out completely.

EDIT: and all these changes before the event even begins.  They should have either upgraded to a warning yesterday or held on to the watch until this morning if they were uncertain.  IMO they handled headlines wrong on this one changing them this much before the event is even here.

The general public? Like they care. If you're not a weather fanatic like the people on this and other weather forums who cares? The public knows it's going to snow whether it's a WAA or WSW. It's Chicago. It's Milwaukee. It's winter. It snows.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

MKE up to 39.  Gonna be fun to see what happens.

But the dew is 24º, though.  The temp will crash.

I was also concerned about the 37º temp this morning, but 90 minutes after the precip started I had 1.8" of snow on the ground.  It began piling up immediately.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wintertime said:

The general public? Like they care. If you're not a weather fanatic like the people on this and other weather forums who cares? The public knows it's going to snow whether it's a WAA or WSW. It's Chicago. It's Milwaukee. It's winter. It snows.

By this logic we should do away with all headlines. Could you imagine GHD 1 with no headlines at all? Just "It's Chicago. It's Milwaukee. It's winter. It snows."

15 minutes ago, snowman33 said:

By this logic we should do away with all headlines. Could you imagine GHD 1 with no headlines at all? Just "It's Chicago. It's Milwaukee. It's winter. It snows."

That headline would probably work. Unless we are talking about a life threatening blizzard, who cares about the headline. Give people a snow accumulation forecast and that's really all that matters. If you live in Chicago or Milwaukee in the winter time please tell me what the big deal is. It snows every winter. Around 40 inches on average. This isn't the deep south where a half inch of snow shuts the place down. WWA or WSW. Who cares? Aside from weather weenies?

I can speak from firsthand experience that winter headlines make all the difference not just to individuals but to businesses that rely on them. Just because your mom doesn't know or care about the difference between 1" and 4" in the forecast doesn't mean that the difference doesn't have a major impact on society as a whole. An argument that all of this nuance doesn't matter is seriously riddled with naivete.

Anyone who thinks this year's Christmas storm didn't deserve a warning definitely did not drive around in it. I lost a fuel injector about half way through the 20 minute drive to my SO's apartment, and I barely managed to limp the car there the rest of the way. Thank fuck it's a short drive in a fairly populated area, idk what I would've done out in the middle of bumfuck. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wintertime said:

That headline would probably work. Unless we are talking about a life threatening blizzard, who cares about the headline. Give people a snow accumulation forecast and that's really all that matters. If you live in Chicago or Milwaukee in the winter time please tell me what the big deal is. It snows every winter. Around 40 inches on average. This isn't the deep south where a half inch of snow shuts the place down. WWA or WSW. Who cares? Aside from weather weenies?

If the general public was on this forum watching weather weenies slice and dice, splitting hairs over a winter weather advisory and winter storm warning they would be calling the people on this forum the crazy ones, not the NWS.

10 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

I can speak from firsthand experience that winter headlines make all the difference not just to individuals but to businesses that rely on them. Just because your mom doesn't know or care about the difference between 1" and 4" in the forecast doesn't mean that the difference doesn't have a major impact on society as a whole. An argument that all of this nuance doesn't matter is seriously riddled with naivete.

Anyone who thinks this year's Christmas storm didn't deserve a warning definitely did not drive around in it. I lost a fuel injector about half way through the 20 minute drive to my SO's apartment, and I barely managed to limp the car there the rest of the way. Thank fuck it's a short drive in a fairly populated area, idk what I would've done out in the middle of bumfuck. 

That would have happened to you whether there was a winter storm warning issued or not. Why where you out there in those conditions to begin with in a winter storm warning knowing the conditions were as bad as they were? Why? Because it's life. You wanted and decided to be out there. You knew the risk. People can manage their lives in snow. If you tell them how much snow you are forecasting to fall, people will adjust their lives. People aren't stupid. Neither are businesses. Give them an accumulation forecast and they will adjust their lives and businesses accordingly.

3 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Still like the 3-6" for Toledo, should be an absolutely terrible commute tomorrow morning. I do think CLE needs to be chided a bit for only issuing a WWA for Toledo, there's no reason all counties north of US 6 are not under an advisory until you get east of Sandusky

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH FRIDAY/...
12:30 PM Update...

Am working on final grid edits and headline coordination
regarding the snow arriving late tonight into Friday morning.
Will be hoisting additional advisories for the rest of NW PA and
the northernmost 1-2 tiers of counties in OH over the next 1-2
hours. More detailed discussion will come later this afternoon.

2 minutes ago, wintertime said:

That would have happened to you whether there was a winter storm warning issued or not. Why where you out there in those conditions to begin with in a winter storm warning knowing the conditions were as bad as they were? Why? Because it's life. You wanted and decided to be out there. You knew the risk. People can manage their lives in snow. If you tell them how much snow you are forecasting to fall, people will adjust their lives. People aren't stupid. Neither are businesses. Give them an accumulation forecast and they will adjust their lives and businesses accordingly.

I took the risk because I presumed that nothing stupid like that would happen to me and because I knew I'd almost certainly be okay no matter what since I'm in the suburbs. However, the warning specifically highlighted things that the average Joe will definitely not figure out for themselves unless you hammer them home, primarily that the windchill and blowing snow means You're fucked if you get caught in the middle of nowhere. Hence why I say that if that would've happened to me like a couple counties south in the middle of nowhere, it would've have been a very dicey situation. The entire point of the NWS is to make everyone's lives easier by offering reliable forecasts. I don't see why we would want to strip their ability to do their job away from them. Not all winter threats are built the same, why is that so controversial? It can snow an inch overnight and not even warrant an advisory, or it could snow an inch in the middle of rush hour with cold road temperatures and fuck everything. Most people I know don't even start checking the weather until they catch wind of some sort of bigger story brewing, so methinks that a large number of advisory events would slip through the cracks until they show up out of nowhere and make you 45 minutes late for work. And guess who gets blamed if that happens?

1 minute ago, Malacka11 said:

I took the risk because I presumed that nothing stupid like that would happen to me and because I knew I'd almost certainly be okay no matter what since I'm in the suburbs. However, the warning specifically highlighted things that the average Joe will definitely not figure out for themselves unless you hammer them home, primarily that the windchill and blowing snow means You're fucked if you get caught in the middle of nowhere. Hence why I say that if that would've happened to me like a couple counties south in the middle of nowhere, it would've have been a very dicey situation. The entire point of the NWS is to make everyone's lives easier by offering reliable forecasts. I don't see why we would want to strip their ability to do their job away from them. Not all winter threats are built the same, why is that so controversial? It can snow an inch overnight and not even warrant an advisory, or it could snow an inch in the middle of rush hour with cold road temperatures and fuck everything. Most people I know don't even start checking the weather until they catch wind of some sort of bigger story brewing, so methinks that a large number of advisory events would slip through the cracks until they show up out of nowhere and make you 45 minutes late for work. And guess who gets blamed if that happens?

I suppose the difference between you and I is the fact that I believe people can manage themselves. The average Joe can make his way in the snow, in the winter, in Illinois and Wisconsin. If there is a big headline event everyone is going to catch wind of it in this day and age. The same people caught of guard by adverse conditions, in this day and age, are the same people who will be caught off guard by adverse conditions whether the NWS puts out warnings or not. If the NWS didn't exist weather headlines would still be out to the public all over the place. Social media. Local news! It's everywhere now. There is a need for the NWS. I'm glad it's there, but they are no longer the be all end all. WWA or WSW? People are going to know what's coming regardless. 

12 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I miss the days where we had the Snow Advisory and Heavy Snow Warning...

Yeah they were around for too short a time. Personally I always felt the lake effect advisory and warnings were great. Plus most of the public better understands what that means around here and thus one area may get hit while another gets very little especially in counties like this. 

31 minutes ago, Frog Town said:
.NEAR TERM /THROUGH FRIDAY/...
12:30 PM Update...

Am working on final grid edits and headline coordination
regarding the snow arriving late tonight into Friday morning.
Will be hoisting additional advisories for the rest of NW PA and
the northernmost 1-2 tiers of counties in OH over the next 1-2
hours. More detailed discussion will come later this afternoon.

Hey how about that! :lol: I don't think they'd come close to matching my salary though but I can freelance for events (I'm kidding). It is weird though to have this approaching snow considering how nice it is outside, temps pushing 50 with pure sunshine