Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

1 hour ago, tdp146 said:

Some folks getting mood flakes today. So far all I’ve got is mood salt that the town put on the street. 

Son is at the Bronx zoo and saw flakes, daughter is at a pet expo in PA near Harris and it's snowing there. Nothing here; sun peeking out. Pretty typical even in big events to get somewhat shafted over here.

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Nyc with more then Boston 

Wow, sucks for them. I said “golden unless there’s a major change in the evolution”, looks like the major change is happening. The storm just kinda dies out as it keeps going east into the confluence because the shortwave peters out, and there’s no phasing/interaction to deepen a coastal low. 

But hey, good for us then. We have less than 1” for most in this sub forum. I wouldn’t expect anything major near the coast but a nice 2-4” or 3-6” type plowable event would be a godsend this winter. “Golden” has shifted to interior CT and Hudson Valley lol. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Hr 66 mod Snow all of metro. Sleet down to phl 

Once you start seeing frozen precip down to Philly and Southern NJ its a good sign for at least something for us. I'm still not buying the Euro's all snow solution but I also am growing confident that uptons map blanking the city entirely will be wrong.  

6 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Once you start seeing frozen precip down to Philly and Southern NJ its a good sign for at least something for us. I'm still not buying the Euro's all snow solution but I also am growing confident that uptons map blanking the city entirely will be wrong.  

The euros as alone as the gfs on this one. Right now somewhere in between seems likely

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

The euros as alone as the gfs on this one. Right now somewhere in between seems likely

Yeah I'm not counting on getting a few inches of snow right now just because the Euro looks good. Other models don't look as good, and it's hard for me to be very optimistic about an event when we don't have much cold air in place before the storm. This could easily end up being more sleet too. But at least we can say the Euro keeps hope alive and we have a chance. 

8 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Doesn't look like quite all snow for NYC on the Euro but pretty close at least for northern parts. Would be interested to see Kuchera maps.  

The 10:1 map has about 4 inches for NYC, so I would guess the Kuchera would be somewhere between 2 and 3 inches. It's not as if this Euro run is showing that much snow for NYC, but it's certainly better than the other models.

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

Yeah I'm not counting on getting a few inches of snow right now just because the Euro looks good. Other models don't look as good, and it's hard for me to be very optimistic about an event when we don't have much cold air in place before the storm. This could easily end up being more sleet too. But at least we can say the Euro keeps hope alive and we have a chance. 

Euro really squeezes the block and high more than the other models. I don’t like how the ukmet went away from it. I expect more sleet here then anything 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Euro really squeezes the block and high more than the other models. I don’t like how the ukmet went away from it. I expect more sleet here then anything 

Yep, the way it gets NYC so cold for the event is that the S/W dampens out and gets chewed up between the block and SE ridge. A stronger S/W and therefore more precip would mean a further north/warm outcome because there would be more WAA. So if somehow we do get mostly snow there's a hard ceiling on what we can expect. Our ceiling is probably a 2-4, 3-5" type event. 

And other models disagree and have it warmer so we'll have to see where it trends over the next day. You're right that sleetfest is probably the most likely outcome right now near the city.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yep, the way it gets NYC so cold for the event is that the S/W dampens out and gets chewed up between the block and SE ridge. A stronger S/W and therefore more precip would mean a further north/warm outcome because there would be more WAA. So if somehow we do get mostly snow there's a hard ceiling on what we can expect. Our ceiling is probably a 2-4, 3-5" type event. 

And other models disagree and have it warmer so we'll have to see where it trends over the next day. You're right that sleetfest is probably the most likely outcome right now near the city.

It is starting to get exhausting tracking a storm with a ceiling of 3-5 inches but in this winter that would be 3 to 5 times most peoples totals.   

24 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Agree. I think the north shore might be in for something other than sleet? Lots of dry air funneling down from sne which is killing their snow chances but helping us 

2 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I'm filing a disclaimer complaint with Upton if CPK/NYC gets 1 inch of sleet with this and then adds 1.5 or less elsewhere and we break the record lol....sleet normally counts as snow...well should I say OFFICIALLY does but in this case we should make an exception if it ruins the record 

I'll countersue, lol.  I love sleet and think we should multiply what falls by 3 to get to about 10:1.  

25 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Agree. I think the north shore might be in for something other than sleet? Lots of dry air funneling down from sne which is killing their snow chances but helping us 

We’ll see. I’m in a better place than most of the city and definitely south shore but it’s not worth a ton. If the WAA isn’t too intense maybe we can stay snow. Stronger WAA means more precip but also more sleet/rain. I’ll gladly take a few inches if it means we can stay snow. Rather that than heavy precip that flips to rain like everything else. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

This may be the usual head fake south we see on these events at this range then immediately they go north again inside 48.  The problem here though is the S/W is getting crappier and the blocking is becoming stronger.  Its possible this is a legit change and probably why I'd be wary of hoping the next system does not end up like the ICON has being over North Carolina

• Like 1

Just now, weatherpruf said:

I'd rather nothing at all than sleet, but its somewhat better than freezing rain. It will at least look like winter out.

I’ll take anything, seriously. Sleet is annoying but at least it lasts a while. I just don’t want the sleet/snow for 30 minutes to a washout it was looking like and could still end up if the GFS/NAM end up right.