Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

Just now, Allsnow said:

Nyc might get more then Boston from this…crazy turn of events 

All about where the sleet line makes it to, as usual. The dual pol radar'll be our best friend or worst enemy tomorrow night. NAM is more aggressive with the mid level warmth as usual but it can sometimes overdo it. If the coastal low takes over fairly early it should help mute the northward warm push. If we have shredded up precip the warm mid level air will have an easier time getting a foothold. And I do buy the big difference between south and north shore snow/frozen amounts here. Hopefully everyone gets a decent event and for most it'll multiply our seasonal snow total by several times or more so there's that. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

All about where the sleet line makes it to, as usual. The dual pol radar'll be our best friend or worst enemy tomorrow night. NAM is more aggressive with the mid level warmth as usual but it can sometimes overdo it. If the coastal low takes over fairly early it should help mute the northward warm push. If we have shredded up precip the warm mid level air will have an easier time getting a foothold. And I do buy the big difference between south and north shore snow/frozen amounts here. Hopefully everyone gets a decent event and for most it'll multiply our seasonal snow total by several times or more so there's that. 

Agree. Just give me 1-2 inches of snow and I’ll be happy. After that it’s time for spring imo. But I doubt Mother Nature corporates 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

The NAO is flexing. Likewise, I agree that the NAM tends to overdue mid level warmth. 

As far as a thump, h7 actually looks pretty primed over the metro area. It appears we are becoming the battle ground, which bodes well for higher end snow for the area. 

4 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Agree. Just give me 1-2 inches of snow and I’ll be happy. After that it’s time for spring imo. But I doubt Mother Nature corporates 

I'll gladly take snow through mid March. Late March, when it's time to start the vegetable garden, is when I'm done rooting for snow. 

Do you think 2 to 3 is a good possibility for our area tomorrow night? That's what I'm thinking right now. 

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

I'll gladly take snow through mid March. Late March, when it's time to start the vegetable garden, is when I'm done rooting for snow. 

Do you think 2 to 3 is a good possibility for our area? That's what I'm thinking right now. 

I like 1-3 for our area. Hopefully we get a few more hours of snow to get over 3. Your area will do better then mby 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Do you think 2 to 3 is a good possibility for our area tomorrow night? That's what I'm thinking right now. 

Same. Just got my first batch of zuke seeds in; couldn't find the self pollinating types in the store this year. If i use anything but, I get very few zukes. But I won't plant them til late May. Broccoli can go in much earlier. Don't bother with cabbage anymore. Too cheap in the store. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Same. Just got my first batch of zuke seeds in; couldn't find the self pollinating types in the store this year. If i use anything but, I get very few zukes. But I won't plant them til late May. Broccoli can go in much earlier. Don't bother with cabbage anymore. Too cheap in the store. 

I usually plant the cold-sensitive stuff like tomatoes in early May. I've never had a problem with frost damaging plants in early May, but no question it's best to wait until May. I'd never plant that stuff in April. I look forward to planting cold-tolerant stuff like broccoli and lettuce in late March. Looking forward to gardening season, but hoping we have some snow to enjoy before then. Hopefully tomorrow night will work out, and maybe we can pull off another event or two in early to mid March. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

I hope the rain snow line doesn’t get too far above fire island 

Where you are might be dicey especially if you're south of Sunrise Highway. That's like tier 1 of the area to get screwed. Tier 2 is there to the LIE, Tier 3 is north of the LIE and favored in winter events as much as anyone can be on LI. 

We want the coastal low to develop as soon as possible and veer the wind to more ENE so the ocean influence is lessened. And for the snow to come in like a wall. Showery crap will allow the air to warm. 

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Where you are might be dicey especially if you're south of Sunrise Highway. That's like tier 1 of the area to get screwed. Tier 2 is there to the LIE, Tier 3 is north of the LIE and favored in winter events as much as anyone can be on LI. 

We want the coastal low to develop as soon as possible and veer the wind to more ENE so the ocean influence is lessened. And for the snow to come in like a wall. Showery crap will allow the air to warm. 

I’m north of sunrise just off southern state parkway