• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

So now I don't know what to do... I'm supposed to work Monday. I'm going to be driving from Rockland county to north jersey, from there to queens, Brooklyn & Linden NJ then back up to Rockland County.

My car does not have 4wheel drive. Am I in for hell of a day tomorrow? Please advise

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, nycemt123 said:

So now I don't know what to do... I'm supposed to work Monday. I'm going to be driving from Rockland county to north jersey, from there to queens, Brooklyn & Linden NJ then back up to Rockland County.

My car does not have 4wheel drive. Am I in for hell of a day tomorrow? Please advise emoji120.png

It’s not supposed to start until late afternoon so not sure what time you would be back up in Rockland. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nycemt123 said:

My car does not have 4wheel drive. Am I in for hell of a day tomorrow? Please advise emoji120.png

It doesn't start til after 7

• Like 3

GFS 12z looks pretty good to me at least I-78 on north. RGEM didn't really change as others said. So as far as I can see we're still on track around NYC.

We definitely do still have to be careful though and not lock anything in since there's still time for a 50 or so mile N bump that would make it a lousy rain/sleet event south of the Hudson Valley/CT. There really isn't much room for error for most of the subforum.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Gfs pretty impressive for NYC and points north and west. 

I’m still kind of confused by why different models are showing such different qpf. 

Anything with WAA/overrunning mechanisms models will be all over the place...there will probably be a location somewhere that gets absolutely dumped on with a mesoscale band and if you look at the models its likely to be right at the beginning in the first 3 hours.

• Like 1

It’s not supposed to start until late afternoon so not sure what time you would be back up in Rockland. 
I'll probably be back in Rockland by 4ish. I think I'll be ok I'm just getting nervous because I drove in the 2018 week-before-thanksgiving fiasco. Took 7.5 hours from Montefiore hospital to home in Monsey/Ramapo/Spring Valley. That was traumatic lol

44 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I'm definitely hoping it's wrong. It could also swing back colder at 18z 

Even though NAM is a horrible model, it's understandable that its warm solution is causing us to be a little skeptical after everything we've been through this winter. Our luck has been so bad that it wouldn't be shocking if NAM ends up being right for a change for this one.

That said, I think it's definitely more likely that we'll get an advisory level event from this. Too many other models are on board. RGEM looks pretty good (2 to 3 inches for our area). Euro and HRRR are nice and cold. I'd go with 2 to 4 for our area right now. 

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Even though NAM is a horrible model, it's understandable that its warm solution is causing us to be a little skeptical after everything we've been through this winter. Our luck has been so bad that it wouldn't be shocking if NAM ends up being right for a change for this one.

That said, I think it's definitely more likely that we'll get an advisory level event from this. Too many other models are on board. RGEM looks pretty good (2 to 3 inches for our area). Euro and HRRR are nice and cold. I'd go with 2 to 4 for our area right now. 

We'll see. NWS isn't biting yet

1 hour ago, hooralph said:

Central Park is masterpiece of urban planning. Olmstead is a hero to me. If you go there on a summer day "elitist" is the last thing that will come to mind. It still meets the aim he had in creating urban parks - to create egalitarian spaces open to everyone. Go up to Great Hill on a summer day when you'll see big families having BBQ's and grad students wine picnics on the lawn and families having birthday parties.

The CPK reporting station is as far from pavement as you can get in Manhattan and probably as representative of the median conditions across the 5 boroughs as you can get.

And in the winter. :sled:

i-dgwKwrC-4K.jpg

it's bad for measuring temperatures in the summer though as it doesn't meet the required distance to be away from foliage and especially trees and it's also really bad with measuring winds.

I agree with the other things you said, it's a very pretty park.

7 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

The HRRR always misses mid level warmth beyond 12-18 or so.  My concern here is the ESE flow, the fact the event comes in at 6pm vs 6am so you get all that solar heating through the clouds.  You may be 42/22 at JFK when this begins easily and start as RASN before wet bulbing and going all snow.  I think we need a really good shot at moderate snow in the first 2-3 hours otherwise it'll end up with 1-2 at best near the coast.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The HRRR always misses mid level warmth beyond 12-18 or so.  My concern here is the ESE flow, the fact the event comes in at 6pm vs 6am so you get all that solar heating through the clouds.  You may be 42/22 at JFK when this begins easily and start as RASN before wet bulbing and going all snow.  I think we need a really good shot at moderate snow in the first 2-3 hours otherwise it'll end up with 1-2 at best near the coast.

I think at this point if JFK gets 1-2 inches it'd be a success. Upton has them getting a half an inch. 

These forecasts are so hard though because you never know if its going to go February 2008/November 2018 on us or it's going to end up a sleetfest changing to rain.  

2 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

I think at this point if JFK gets 1-2 inches it'd be a success. Upton has them getting a half an inch. 

These forecasts are so hard though because you never know if its going to go February 2008/November 2018 on us or it's going to end up a sleetfest changing to rain.  

National blend of models has JFK with 1.2" and Central Park with 2.1"