• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

18 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

0Z RGEM slightly juicier for tomorrow

About the same as last run if anything slightly south/colder for Monday. 

Actually noticeably colder, the city/LI stays all frozen through end of the run. 

It has a mid 980s low headed through N Michigan. I'll never be thrilled with that although it does start to form the coastal low fairly quickly. 

It's some snow to a crap ton of sleet where I am, probably a quick change to rain on the south shore/southern NYC. The warm layer comes in quick at 750-800mb so there's definitely still some good WAA. Looks like it's battling some dry air once you get into New England and the good dynamics from the developing coastal system that stays a little suppressed could hurt them verbatim. IMO this is about as good an outcome as we can hope for around NYC unless there's a major change in the evolution and the primary dies a lot quicker. 

My money is on this trending north again like almost every SWFE does at the end, it goes back to the good snow being focused on I-90/Boston and we have the quick sleet to rain near the city. But maybe this can be the diamond in the rough SWFE I mentioned earlier that comes along every few years and the confluence/blocking can really make a difference this time. Who knows. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

The kuchera map is a little more realistic, has 2.8 inches in NYC. 

Snow ratios in this will be less than 10-1 most likely since the best lifting won't be in the DGZ which is -12 to -18C. The mid levels will be warmer since the strong WAA will be coming in. I took a sounding near HPN at 81hr and the DGZ isn't entirely saturated and it's all the way up at 15000-17000 feet. Column isn't fully saturated until you're down at 700mb which is where the strong WAA starts and you're already close to 0C. 

Edit I checked the 18z run by mistake but at 75hr at the same spot the idea is the same. It does have the entire column 1C cooler or so, so the run did trend a bit cooler. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

0Z RGEM slightly juicier for tomorrow

About the same as last run if anything slightly south/colder for Monday. 

Actually noticeably colder, the city/LI stays all frozen through end of the run. 

RGEM now says we get a solid half inch tomorrow. How sad is it that I'm excited about that? lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

UKMET cut way back on the snow for the NYC area. Still a little snow, but not even half of what it had at 12z and it now says you have to go northwest to get significant amounts. 

Yea it def went north but still has decent snow immediately nw of the city. Ukie is also a model I don’t care much about but I wonder if the euro will cut back. 

Snow ratios in this will be less than 10-1 most likely since the best lifting won't be in the DGZ which is -12 to -18C. The mid levels will be warmer since the strong WAA will be coming in. I took a sounding near HPN at 81hr and the DGZ isn't entirely saturated and it's all the way up at 15000-17000 feet. Column isn't fully saturated until you're down at 700mb which is where the strong WAA starts and you're already close to 0C. 
Edit I checked the 18z run by mistake but at 75hr at the same spot the idea is the same. It does have the entire column 1C cooler or so, so the run did trend a bit cooler. 

Either way, you are not getting 10:1 ratios on Monday, it’s going to be lower than that

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

It has a mid 980s low headed through N Michigan. I'll never be thrilled with that although it does start to form the coastal low fairly quickly. 

It's some snow to a crap ton of sleet where I am, probably a quick change to rain on the south shore/southern NYC. The warm layer comes in quick at 750-800mb so there's definitely still some good WAA. Looks like it's battling some dry air once you get into New England and the good dynamics from the developing coastal system that stays a little suppressed could hurt them verbatim. IMO this is about as good an outcome as we can hope for around NYC unless there's a major change in the evolution and the primary dies a lot quicker. 

My money is on this trending north again like almost every SWFE does at the end, it goes back to the good snow being focused on I-90/Boston and we have the quick sleet to rain near the city. But maybe this can be the diamond in the rough SWFE I mentioned earlier that comes along every few years and the confluence/blocking can really make a difference this time. Who knows. 

February 2008?

Euro does look snowy from I-78 north with the Mon PM/Tue storm but it's due to shearing out/weakening the S/W which weakens the precip overall and forces it south under the confluence. A stronger wave would nudge it north. It has minor snow/coating for tomorrow. We get split by one area going upstate and another going through S NJ.

I'd gladly take whatever snow we get and if by some miracle it's a plowable snow even better. 

This winter is so pathetic that the Hollywood Sign's beating NYC in seasonal snow now. Never thought that day would ever come.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Euro does look snowy from I-78 north with the Mon PM/Tue storm but it's due to shearing out/weakening the S/W which weakens the precip overall and forces it south under the confluence. A stronger wave would nudge it north. It has minor snow/coating for tomorrow. We get split by one area going upstate and another going through S NJ.

I'd gladly take whatever snow we get and if by some miracle it's a plowable snow even better. 

This winter is so pathetic that the Hollywood Sign's beating NYC in seasonal snow now. Never thought that day would ever come.

I had to laugh, the Hollywood Sign beating us is the truest sign of a bad winter lol