• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

My top storms...not necessarily in order of rank but chronological order from oldest to newest.
1.  3/19/56.
Still one of my all timers made great by the fact that 1-2 inches were forecasted.  It was a Sunday and 2 days earlier on Friday we got  quick hitting 4-6 giving us sledding snow.   A whole bunch of us 9-10 year old boomers were sledding and having so much fun that we didn't realize how hard it was snowing until everyone's mother came to get them.  The next morning had drifts up beyond 10 feet in spots with the storm still raging. 
2.  3/3/60
A sub par winter.  In the final days of February a strong front cleared the coast producing rain during the day.  The next couple of days were mid winter cold and I remember thinking-if only we can get a storm!   On 3/3 snow began at 7AM and watching the white wisps blow across the street I sensed we were in for some fun.  Of course school wasn't cancelled and we were let out at Noon at the height of the storm.   
2. 12/11-12, 1960
A week after near 70 degree wx which made me quite downhearted, I awaken Sunday to a forecast of possible heavy snow.  Giants/Washington game on in very heavy snow in DC.  Meanwhile, light snow began around 3PM but only accumulated an inch by 9.  Then things started ramping up and by 5am a foot had fallen in NYC (I was in NNJ) and it kept on going-ended up officially with 17 inches but it felt like a lot more where I was.  
3.  2/3-4, 1961
After a couple of very cold weeks-I made a weather station for my 8th grade science project and it was easy to set gradations on my thermometer-it was near 0 the morning of the due date and I left it out all night.  I set 70 degrees the previous afternoon after setting the indoor thermostat.  The storm started on a Friday and by Friday night it was snowing so hard you could actually observe the accumulation rise.  ACY ended up with 2 inches + of rain so this was 2 feet of heavy wet snow.  The storm as the pattern changer-the cold pattern was over but we still had more snow but the winter had showed us its best already.
4.  January 1966-can't remember the date but it was the blizzard of 66 and I was in college-Ithaca, NY.  It snowed with LES a little bit every day until the big one dumped what seemed like feet.  Those were some great years!
5.  2/9/69-the so called Lindsay Storm
Forecasts were for 3-5 inches and a change to rain.  I happened to be home for the weekend and shadowing this optometrist in his office for the day.  I remember that Saturday as overcast with temperatures in the low 40s-not exactly what you're looking for leading up to a big snow.  Late that night snow began with marginal temperatures and I went to bed.  The next morning and throughout the day it was a raging blizzard-and totally unexpected.  Modest snow to rain expected-18-24 resulted.   That Sunday I realized my Dad was a weenie.  He insisted we got out at the height of the storm to get something we didn't really need...lol.  We both weenied out together-and I think both of us realized we missed my childhood doing it....  Heading back to college the next day and Ithaca got fringed-maybe 4 inches max.  
6.  2/2/74
A foot of overrunning snow unexpected.  A rare Saturday night you didn't have to wait in line at the old Hilltop Steak House.
7.  1/15/76 (unsure of exact date but it was January 76.
A very cold period culminated in the biggest Boston dump in quite a while.  I was living in Cambridgeport and decided to walk into Harvard Square at the height of the storm.  I stood in the middle of Harvard Square-the only human in sight-and prayed for my work to be called the next day.  I was working at a neighborhood health center and thankfully they closed.
I started my move to California 11/15/76 and stayed for 15 years.  I missed the 78 blizzard and everything leading up to it.  I did return for a visit a month afterwards and experienced an 8 inch dump which Bostonians treated as snow flurries given the prior major events.  All of my subsequent big events-winters we've talked of in the early through mid 90s and the stretches since 2000 have been covered by many others....

That's some serious memory recall. I can't remember what I ate for breakfast 3 days ago

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

How did ME get shafted on that one?

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

You know it’s a biggie when 10-20” is shafted.

I don’t know but my guess is it occluded and bombed out too early… and it had some sort of inverted trough mixed in there as well.  But mostly it looks like it occluded and just hammered the area SW of Maine.  Similar to the biggies in the Mid-Atlantic that still hit New England but the main conveyor belts are gone.

LBSW I think is the technical term for it :lol:.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Any 60s tomorrow?   I know guidance has it cooler but would not be shocked if some stations tickled 60

I think we will wake up tomorrow finding multiple stations in east MA already 57-60. 

The timing of the fropa is poor to maximize daytime temps but the airmass behind it is also AN, so temps probably don’t climb from the morning, but don’t fall either as sun and compressional heating offset the cooling aloft. 

Looks like a great day for a fleece and a walk in the park.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

8 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Southbury 1888 poor Scooter 

55F4838F-E223-4F61-AD30-2820E18081E4.png

C63D3227-80D8-49B8-8110-51E8E1930077.png

5768534E-21A3-45EE-8279-F54011DE5A75.jpeg

I might have mentioned this before but growing up in the Albany area I had someone in my family who I remember as "Cousin Marsha" (I don't recall the relationship, but she was on my father's side of the family) who lived to be over 100 years old (maybe 106?).  When I was 9 or 10 (79, 80) she was over 100 years old and she would tell stories of the great storm of '88.  I think she was 10 or 11 years old during that storm. She had some awesome photos of Albany.  For years I had been trying to find that photo album with no luck.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Visually, it’s right up there with a paste event. This is from a few years ago I believe:

hZ5c1oN.jpg

WGVMwlc.jpg

Ha. This was my hood back in my early days of living in Columbia County NY.  Go back about 3 miles, and my house was on the right, only about 50 feet from the highway, not too far from the NYS, Berkshire Spur Toll booth which has since been taken down.  I would go to sleep to the sound of I-90.

new concord road.jpg

• Like 3