Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Sounds like the models are in chaos to me which is better than nailing down a Cutter to Hudson bay all solutions are on the table LOL but that is the reality.  Wiggum rule though could it be?

This year so far is an anomaly to the Wiggum Rule. We have hit 60 here a few times and no flakes within 5 days. Hoping that changes but in most years this theory works without fail. This year is just different. I don't have anything scientific to support this but watch us get hit hard in March. Just been strange so far....perfect setups failing, record cold around Christmas, record -AO. Something odd is in play here this year. Dont punt.

• Like 4

For that December cutter, the GFS held onto the S/E solutions and was the last to cave.
This time, it's the other way around. Euro is still S/E while CMC and GFS went cutter (at least the Op runs).

Most of the time, the OP GFS will hang onto the SE Solution longer than others. December was the perfect example. We’re still too far out to know where the GFS will land on next weeks threat. The GEFS doesn’t match the OP whatsoever, which to me means the GFS will waffle a bunch more before it hones in on a general solution around D5. This is all pretty standard given the range we’re in right now (D9-d10)

My guess is the GFS waffles back toward a more SE solution over the next few days, which is it’s typical bias in a progressive pattern. It looks completely out to lunch given the wide array of outcomes it’s spitting out from run to run.

At this range, I’m looking at the GEFS and EPS. Using the OP GFS is a fools errand 10 days out. I’ll start looking at the OP Euro in the D5-D7 range. Until then, OP runs are meaningless to me. Sticking to this general schematic leaves me heartbroken a lot less frequently than most weenies…

Days 8-10 (GEFS / EPS ensembles)
Days 5-7 (euro, with a lean on the CMC/Ukie for similarity confirmation)
Days 3-5 (GFS / Euro - less euro as we approach D3)
Days 1-3 (NAM / GFS - outcome typically splits the two in some way shape or form)

It’s not perfect, but it utilizes the strengths of each model @ a given range, while leaning on a few other models to see if they show similar evolutions at H5/500 for some semblance of confirmation that the outcome could have some weight to it. A lot of folks look for the coldest / snowiest solution at any given range, which is a method that’s equivalent to begging for heartbreak.

Any model out on its own island, especially in the long range, should be a red flag. Details aren’t very important at range. Yesterday, we had several models showing the general idea of a storm in the 175+hr range - which is enough to peak my interest. I don’t truly get excited for a potential threat until we enter the D5’ish range. If the OP Euro at D5 generally shows what the EPS/GEFS combo was showing prior, that’s typically a pretty solid signal that something is on the horizon.

For me personally, anything before that is simply noise and the models doing their jobs - which is to calculate all possible outcomes. That’s why the GFS jumps from a multi foot blizzard to a warm / rainy cutter every damn time from the D10 range. It’s simply establishing the envelop of outcomes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

Most of the time, the OP GFS will hang onto the SE Solution longer than others. December was the perfect example. We’re still too far out to know where the GFS will land on next weeks threat. The GEFS doesn’t match the OP whatsoever, which to me means the GFS will waffle a bunch more before it hones in on a general solution around D5. This is all pretty standard given the range we’re in right now (D9-d10)

My guess is the GFS waffles back toward a more SE solution over the next few days, which is it’s typical bias in a progressive pattern. It looks completely out to lunch given the wide array of outcomes it’s spitting out from run to run.

At this range, I’m looking at the GEFS and EPS. Using the OP GFS is a fools errand 10 days out. I’ll start looking at the OP Euro in the D5-D7 range. Until then, OP runs are meaningless to me. Sticking to this general schematic leaves me heartbroken a lot less frequently than most weenies…

Days 8-10 (GEFS / EPS ensembles)
Days 5-7 (euro, with a lean on the CMC/Ukie for similarity confirmation)
Days 3-5 (GFS / Euro - less euro as we approach D3)
Days 1-3 (NAM / GFS - outcome typically splits the two in some way shape or form)

It’s not perfect, but it utilizes the strengths of each model @ a given range, while leaning on a few other models to see if they show similar evolutions at H5/500 for some semblance of confirmation that the outcome could have some weight to it. A lot of folks look for the coldest / snowiest solution at any given range, which is a method that’s equivalent to begging for heartbreak.

Any model out on its own island, especially in the long range, should be a red flag. Details aren’t very important at range. Yesterday, we had several models showing the general idea of a storm in the 175+hr range - which is enough to peak my interest. I don’t truly get excited for a potential threat until we enter the D5’ish range. If the OP Euro at D5 generally shows what the EPS/GEFS combo was showing prior, that’s typically a pretty solid signal that something is on the horizon.

For me personally, anything before that is simply noise and the models doing their jobs - which is to calculate all possible outcomes. That’s why the GFS jumps from a multi foot blizzard to a warm / rainy cutter every damn time from the D10 range. It’s simply establishing the envelop of outcomes.

I can't even take this serious if you aren't using the CRAS or NAVGEM.

Kidding aside, good post.

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic