Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Short/Medium Range Severe Weather Discussion

Chicago Storm

22 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Nothing like a 4/26/91 analog over your house in Wisconsin...in late July.

Convective mode likely won't allow for something like that, but wow.

nam4km_2023072800_020_43.23--89.49.png

Wow is right.. hell of a sounding. Never know, tomorrows storm mode could start off with some SUPs, likely nothing like the Andover event but the ingredients are definitely there.

Would expect a bump to ENH for most of us overnight and tornado probs increased a bit. I was looking at my local sounding and have a ton of hail matches. Hard pass on all of that nonsense.

I don’t know if the RAP forecast of 3000 MLCAPE GRR office mentioned has the current hulking cold pool over WI and ongoing convection over Illinois.  Its great if it completely collapses and suppresses convection during the heating hours, but it’s always hard to recover here without strong southwesterly flow.  Are they really still thinking its going to hit 92 at GRR?  

• Like 1

06Z 3K NAM seems to have a little better handle on the current IL stuff (although I think still weaker with it than reality) than the HRRR, and it fires discrete sups in southwestern WI by 22Z.

Not sure why SPC would introduce a 2% :twister:region at 1730Z yesterday, only to remove it with the first SWODY1 today.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

06Z 3K NAM seems to have a little better handle on the current IL stuff (although I think still weaker with it than reality) than the HRRR, and it fires discrete sups in southwestern WI by 22Z.

Not sure why SPC would introduce a 2% :twister:region at 1730Z yesterday, only to remove it with the first SWODY1 today.

It will be I-94 and south again unless the MCV that develops can draw the juice back north.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stebo said:

If we don't get any junk convection over IL tonight

It's like mother nature seen this and said hold my beer.....

Side note it still amazes me how summertime convection can make humans and computers look completely clueless when it comes to forecasting even 12 hrs in advance, but in the same sense it wouldn't be as fun if we knew exactly what would happen would it 

31 minutes ago, outflow said:

It's like mother nature seen this and said hold my beer.....

Side note it still amazes me how summertime convection can make humans and computers look completely clueless when it comes to forecasting even 12 hrs in advance, but in the same sense it wouldn't be as fun if we knew exactly what would happen would it 

You can easily recover from junkvection overhead at 6:00am.  Non-overturned airmass advects in from the SW by evening.  Being downstream of junkvection is worse.

• Weenie 1

I don’t know, not throwing the towel in yet, but I fully expect temps to be overdone at minimum today.. thus keeping instability tamed. This crapvection is naturally going to inhibit some of what could’ve been this afternoons potential. 

Also… that’s a ton of debris clouds - a good 6-8 hours worth moving ever so slowly east. 
IMG_0170.gif.0b2d9df9ed9625abea386d52cd246751.gif

2 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

I don’t know, not throwing the towel in yet, but I fully expect temps to be overdone at minimum today.. thus keeping instability tamed. This crapvection is naturally going to inhibit some of what could’ve been this afternoons potential. 

Also… that’s a ton of debris clouds - a good 6-8 hours worth moving ever so slowly east. 
IMG_0170.gif.0b2d9df9ed9625abea386d52cd246751.gif

That’s why I’m hoping it starts dissipating over the next couple hours and clouds thin out and burn off

• Like 1