Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023

wdrag

15 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

The warm winter has helped Europe a lot with their demand problems and it'll help us too this month. 

Once you accept that it'll be a mild/snow-free winter it becomes kinda nice. Lots of positives.

Only wish there was less rain 

Ending the california and western drought is a big positive too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Not sure about ORH. This morning Eric Fisher said Boston itself is still awaiting its first inch of snow. It’s pretty wild

If this is what it takes to end the drought out west, we need to bite the bullet.  Sacrificing the snow is really insignificant compared to that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

The warm winter has helped Europe a lot with their demand problems and it'll help us too this month. 

Once you accept that it'll be a mild/snow-free winter it becomes kinda nice. Lots of positives.

when we get to the warm(er) season there will probably be much less rain.  I'm thinking we get a 2002 type spring and summer-- which will be nice.

23 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

As much as I love a good snow, I'm not missing it that much. It'll be back again. Someday. 

• Like 1

Today, Winter 2022-2023 will become just the 9th winter on record during which New York City had seen no measurable snowfall through January 7th. The last such winter was 2015-2016.

Those winters were: 1885-1886, 1965-1966, 1972-1973, 1994-1995, 1997-1998, 1999-2000, 2006-2007, 2015-2016, and 2022-2023.

image.png.f60e72e4bddd9de2daa9b46f126dcf81.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, EastonSN+ said:

97/98 must be the closest to this year wrt snowfall.

Believe NYC did not get their first inch till mid March!

It was stormier, and windy. I remember a warm rainy wind that blew my screen door open and shattered the glass, and what a PIA it was to get that replaced. There was a half inch or so late in winter, they didn't bother to salt, and my big Dodge pickup slid down a hilly road before slamming into a curb, ruining the axle. It was a fitting end to a crap winter. I have written before, that I did not touch the snowblower from the end of 96 until the storm of Dec. 2000. There was simply no need. And there were some unbearable summers in there too, like 99. 

• Like 3

Today, Winter 2022-2023 will become just the 9th winter on record during which New York City had seen no measurable snowfall through January 7th. The last such winter was 2015-2016.
Those winters were: 1885-1886, 1965-1966, 1972-1973, 1994-1995, 1997-1998, 1999-2000, 2006-2007, 2015-2016, and 2022-2023.
image.png.f60e72e4bddd9de2daa9b46f126dcf81.png

I figured 01-02 would be on that list too. Kind of surprised it wasn’t. That was one of the biggest ratters of all time. Worse than 11-12 and 97-98. 19-20 was pretty ugly too from late December on

• Like 1

This will be February.      March and April will be relatively  colder he says.      WHO'S HE, NOT ME..............ITS JB.        Its the Toilet Paper Run.

Keep Swingin' Boy----You're Bound to Make Contact.

cfs_monthly_all_avg_conus_t2m_c_anom_mon

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Would be much easier to appreciate the positives if these warm episodes didn't feel connected to an alarming problem.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

It was stormier, and windy. I remember a warm rainy wind that blew my screen door open and shattered the glass, and what a PIA it was to get that replaced. There was a half inch or so late in winter, they didn't bother to salt, and my big Dodge pickup slid down a hilly road before slamming into a curb, ruining the axle. It was a fitting end to a crap winter. I have written before, that I did not touch the snowblower from the end of 96 until the storm of Dec. 2000. There was simply no need. And there were some unbearable summers in there too, like 99. 

97-98 would’ve been a very good winter with just a little more cold air. The El Niño was so powerful that it flooded N America with warm air. There were some good benchmark storms that were ruined because of Pacific air. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Snowshack said:

Would be much easier to appreciate the positives if these warm episodes didn't feel connected to an alarming problem.

Climate change is a “plus” on top of this awful stretch this winter but if it was 1750 this pattern would still probably mean no snow. Zonal raging Pacific jet is never good for us. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

This will be February.      March and April will be relatively  colder he says.      WHO'S HE, NOT ME..............ITS JB.        Its the Toilet Paper Run.

Keep Swingin' Boy----You're Bound to Make Contact.

cfs_monthly_all_avg_conus_t2m_c_anom_mon

The actual CFSv2 forecast is for a warmer than normal February. Of course, at this range, skill is very low.

image.thumb.png.2c6377a722e0243a2b7cb36f2cf34362.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12z Euro is earlier with the timing. Most of the rain is friday morning, and then a dry weekend. Less than an inch of rain for most of us on this run. Of course 6 days away, so it's too early to know details. 

This run almost turned it into FROPA but it’s probably wrong. It was all disjointed, energy flying all over and this solution is most likely trash

6 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

1750 is a bit of an extreme example as that was still the mini ice age. However I get the point that it did not snow non stop in winters of the past.

Maybe 1850 is a better example but still, climate change isn't directly causing this warm/awful stretch. It's enhancing it for sure, and more research needs to be done on these massive marine heatwaves and how they lead to long term repeating pattern shifts like these. The very warm W Pacific is leading to this insane repeating Pacific jet pattern for example and acting as an enhancer to this now 3 year Nina. The very warm offshore waters here are enhancing the SE Ridge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Climate change is a “plus” on top of this awful stretch this winter but if it was 1750 this pattern would still probably mean no snow. Zonal raging Pacific jet is never good for us. 

Of course, there were some bleak winters during the 18th century, too. From John Adams’ diary:

image.jpeg.bc6680c999ce51b458e92d6194ecda88.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Rjay unpinned this topic