Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023

wdrag

Just now, LibertyBell said:

That reminds me of Feb 1983, the storm began around noon on a Friday and the snow quickly became heavy, we were let out of school an hour early, that's it.

Walked home from school with my dad in the snow when I was 9 years old.

Jr year in high school there was a storm that POURED snow while we were in school....over a foot of snow fell in 4-5 hours. They dismissed school around 1230....odd thing was there was a guy with no shirt  on jogging outside around the high school...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

Surprised they still have snow days; they are able to transition to online classes for snow in some districts now. No need for snow days anymore. They do need days for bad weather when power goes out though, because they can't do online then. It was Sandy that made them rethink snow days and holidays; they used to give a 4 day break for President's day; there was so much bad weather that decade they decided it would be best to limit some holidays, especially in winter, where they were likely to have snow. Looks like that paradigm might be shifting as far as snow, but I think we see other extreme events that force closures. 

May be an unpopular sentiment in today's day and age, but give the kids a damn break. They study / work hard enough in school, let them have a couple days per winter where they get to stay home and go outside with their friends and family.

Being able to have classes at home is a tremendous advancement, but it can be taken too far IMHO.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

This is the 2nd warmest January for NYC with another warmer than average week coming up.

Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY - Month of Jan
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Mean Avg Temperature 
Missing Count
1 1932 43.2 0
2 2023 43.1 7
3 1950 41.8 2
4 1990 41.4 0
5 2006 40.9 0
6 1913 40.8 0
7 1933 40.3 0
8 1937 40.2 0
9 1998 40.0 0
10 2002 39.9 0

14BBFF0D-F409-4548-8865-FC769CDCB69C.thumb.png.95d389a2ab1310c342eeaeb86cd77ff0.png

1932 and 1933 back to back torch January's. Wish we had the H5 plots for that.

1 hour ago, jr461 said:

As opposed to most others here who do exactly the opposite.  With his analysis almost always included, I looked forward to a different viewpoint.

It's refreshing amid all the "pattern looks good" and "GFS shows snow in 4 weeks" idiocy with no analysis behind it.  Yet all are ok with that inane repetition.

IMO Both sides can get frustrating, the cancel the whole month of February camp and the people who post the one model that shows snow when 9 other models show rain. Neither is particularly helpful to be repeated over and over again.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Bigger question is, can we catch 1932?

What happened that year to make January so warm?  And the climate was much colder back then.

Yeah, that motivated me to take a peek at that year. Interestingly, looks like it was a la nina. Looks like it was a central Pacific one too. Which would make an atrocious Pacific totally plausible. Which it was, apparently. Terrible arctic on top of that. What's more interesting though, to me anyway, is how this is a decaying la nina this year. So with that, the eastern part starts warming up before the western part. So we're in sort of a similar place with respect to that positioning. So it's a little interesting to see us dealing with a horrible Pacific this year too isn't it? Obviously everywhere is much warmer now though being as that was so so long ago, but just focusing on that one aspect. The placement of la nina. 

oBQRyF846H.png.1ca3425c241b38e7fa4ab37bdd8918b7.pngHKXqHBPWYc.png.b8d2bd932f6ea7904f74573b95f977dc.pngssta.daily.current.thumb.png.5675e6ce10cf86f054f72eef656ce7eb.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EasternLI said:

Yeah, that motivated me to take a peek at that year. Interestingly, looks like it was a la nina. Looks like it was a central Pacific one too. Which would make an atrocious Pacific totally plausible. Which it was, apparently. Terrible arctic on top of that. What's more interesting though, to me anyway, is how this is a decaying la nina this year. So with that, the eastern part starts warming up before the western part. So we're in sort of a similar place with respect to that positioning. So it's a little interesting to see us dealing with a horrible Pacific this year too isn't it? Obviously everywhere is much warmer now though being as that was so so long ago, but just focusing on that one aspect. The placement of la nina. 

oBQRyF846H.png.1ca3425c241b38e7fa4ab37bdd8918b7.pngHKXqHBPWYc.png.b8d2bd932f6ea7904f74573b95f977dc.pngssta.daily.current.thumb.png.5675e6ce10cf86f054f72eef656ce7eb.png

Was 1933 the same as that was a torch too. 

Also in the above, is that a south based NAO linking with the SE ridge?

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

That was a semi permanent la nina, the entire 30s outside of a couple of years was like that, it exacerbated the dust bowl (along with horrible farming practices.)

Also a semi permanent la nina has been linked to the end of the Mayans.  It causes droughts that can extinguish entire civilizations.

This makes a strong argument for climate engineering.  In science we change things for the better and weather and climate should be no exception.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

1933 was part of that 11 year bake off summer list we all know and love and had a hyperactive tropical season followed by a record winter for cold and snow.  Reminds me of 1995-96 and 2010-11.

1944 was the peak of the 11 year bake off summers from the pre 1950 era though lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

The NY forum was even worse then than it is now.   The next snow chance in the Old Farmers Almanac was always in the 10 day range.  I suspect the great depression didn't help with the mood either.

Wonder what emojis they had to select back then...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

1933 looks very similar in the Pacific. To me, these just look like a huge SE ridge more than anything. I see what you're saying about the first one though. 

1054191212_l9nniCDNob(1).png.48cd75b21e46f93f49a94dacc951e60c.png

• Thanks 2

• Rjay unpinned this topic