Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

3 minutes ago, FPizz said:

Screenshot 2023-01-13 104945.jpg

Forgot about 1985....but yeah, -16 is still brutal cold for them. So yeah, I wouldn't count on it happening again any time soon. Prob need a perfect delivery and it's still possible. BOS and ORH had their coldest readings since 1957 back during the cold shot in Feb 2016....it was a brief but intense cold shot on a perfect trajectory for SNE, so that's how it's done.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Doesn’t look all that different from 6z to me 

Looked a bit west at 60h with the main band.

If other guidance aligns with the NAM/Euro/RGEM, then I'd toss the GFS for now. We'll see what the others say soon.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Forgot about 1985....but yeah, -16 is still brutal cold for them. So yeah, I wouldn't count on it happening again any time soon. Prob need a perfect delivery and it's still possible. BOS and ORH had their coldest readings since 1957 back during the cold shot in Feb 2016....it was a brief but intense cold shot on a perfect trajectory for SNE, so that's how it's done.

Ironic that record cold took place that winter.

1 minute ago, FPizz said:

Pretty much all of them are within a period of 20 years. 

When did they build the airport outside of town? Does it usually radiate there or not? I remember it being kind of elevated when I flew in there.

If it's an airport that typically radiates but there's been a lot of recent development around it (ala IAD-Dulles), then you'd drastically lessen the chances of matching low temps again even if a similar airmass happened.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Ironic that record cold took place that winter.

Yeah that winter was a furnace, but we had that one obscene cold shot. Not easy to get Logan airport on the water to -9F.....I think that was their 3rd coldest reading of all time at the current airport site. Only Feb 1943 and Jan 1957 were colder.

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that winter was a furnace, but we had that one obscene cold shot. Not easy to get Logan airport on the water to -9F.....I think that was their 3rd coldest reading of all time at the current airport site. Only Feb 1943 and Jan 1957 were colder.

When did the obs move to Logan?  Asking because they hit -18 on Feb 9, 1934 and -17 just 6 weeks earlier.