Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2022/23 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Looks like the same corridor that just cashed in with this past system (CR to Dubuque/Madison) will be ground zero for the Thursday system.  Areas just to the southeast will continue the screwage.

There's a pretty big model spread regarding how robust this system will be.  The Euro is still showing a healthy wave, but other models are trending flatter and strung out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Baum said:

the fear of starting a thread for the incoming Thursday system is real. I thought model trends looked a tad better so far this AM. I'm still waiting for that event that strengthens as it approaches. Been awhile.

Over/under on ORD snow amount:  1.35"

15 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

People respond when they are scared of the outcome. Morch is michsnowfreaks worst nightmare.

And yet we've not come remotely close to a Morch since 2012. It's actually pretty sad that anybody in a northern climate like this would wish for that when so many in our states make a living off of growing fruit. Morch was a year long disaster for crops.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

And yet we've not come remotely close to a Morch since 2012. It's actually pretty sad that anybody in a northern climate like this would wish for that when so many in our states make a living off of growing fruit. Morch was a year long disaster for crops.

This was a pretty wild swing back to back

Mar12TDeptUS.png

Mar13TDeptUS.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baum said:

the fear of starting a thread for the incoming Thursday system is real. I thought model trends looked a tad better so far this AM. I'm still waiting for that event that strengthens as it approaches. Been awhile.

Did you see the UKMET?  Go start that thread... Chicago gon reel her in  :guitar:

On 2/12/2023 at 4:11 PM, michsnowfreak said:

Not really. We've gotten far more advisory and warning criteria snowstorms than Indiana and Ohio. It's the model fantasy storms that turn to dust that annoy us all. One of these days a storm is not gonna shear out and it will be like the boy who cried wolf. No one will believe it and someone will get absolutely buried.

We just had one that didn't fall apart, but actually held serve. Wasn't as big as it could have been with mid-20s temps, but it was a legit warning level event. For me personally, I cannot count the 3 other warned events as legit (all were sub-6" and more like a good WWA). Going back to Feb '21 that gets me 2 legit storms in two calendar years. I'm not on fire, lol. As you noted, those just south have had it even worse overall. There's always that to beat our chests over I suppose. As you also said, the model trash has been brutal making things feel worse than it actually is.

39 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

We just had one that didn't fall apart, but actually held serve. Wasn't as big as it could have been with mid-20s temps, but it was a legit warning level event. For me personally, I cannot count the 3 other warned events as legit (all were sub-6" and more like a good WWA). Going back to Feb '21 that gets me 2 legit storms in two calendar years. I'm not on fire, lol. As you noted, those just south have had it even worse overall. There's always that to beat our chests over I suppose. As you also said, the model trash has been brutal making things feel worse than it actually is.

Models absolutely make it seem worse than it actually is. In the 23 years of this century, I've only seen 3 winters without a 6"+ snowstorm (2015-16, 2011-12, 2003-04). 

For me, 6+ storms the last 10 winters:
Jan 25, 2023: 6.2"
Feb 17/18, 2022: 6.8"
Feb 2/3, 2022: 9.3" (2 waves 6.0+3.3)
Feb 15/16, 2021: 10.8" 
Jan 18, 2020: 7.0"
Nov 11/12, 2019: 8.8"
Jan 19, 2019: 6.1"
Feb 9, 2018: 9.2"
Dec 13/14, 2017: 6.7"
Dec 11, 2016: 10.9"
Feb 1/2, 2015: 16.5"
Mar 12, 2014: 6.8"
Feb 5, 2014: 8.3"
Jan 26/27, 2014: 6.1"
Jan 5/6, 2014: 10.3"
Jan 1/2, 2014: 11.6"
Dec 13/14, 2013: 8.4"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

That month was nutty I remember being in high school and when I seen that forecast and how the temps went into the 80s I could not believe it. I sat in one of my Pc classes and seen the temp was 86 and I was wearing shorts and a t shirt. I like warm weather but that was too much and as stated it was horrible for our crops. Then look 2 years later we froze that winter lol

4 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

That month was nutty I remember being in high school and when I seen that forecast and how the temps went into the 80s I could not believe it. I sat in one of my Pc classes and seen the temp was 86 and I was wearing shorts and a t shirt. I like warm weather but that was too much and as stated it was horrible for our crops. Then look 2 years later we froze that winter lol

It was definitely crazy. The warmth came with very low humidity so it's not like it was uncomfortable it was just very out of place. March 2012 finished with a departure here of +13.5゚. Then of course as you mentioned the most epic Winter of all time hit in 2013-14. But one thing that doesn't get enough credit is February 2015 for its brutal cold. Between the winter of 2013-14 & a record snowstorm to start Feb 2015, many forget just gow cold it was. DTW finished -13.9°, a greater departure than March 2012.