Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2022/23 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

1 hour ago, Cary67 said:

Euro and CMC dangle carrot post Valentines 

prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.conus.png

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_30.png

If a 980 mb low passes south of me a la Euro, I will leave the board for 1 month after the storm.  That's my confidence in that solution not happening.

But in a general sense, you see the models advertising how areas outside of the upper Midwest can score in the next 7-10 days.  Ricky alluded to it.  Get a lead system to suppress the baroclinic zone to some extent for the next one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If a 980 mb low passes south of me a la Euro, I will leave the board for 1 month after the storm.  That's my confidence in that solution not happening.
But in a general sense, you see the models advertising how areas outside of the upper Midwest can score in the next 7-10 days.  Ricky alluded to it.  Get a lead system to suppress the baroclinic zone to some extent for the next one.
That Euro run is basically textbook on how it can work and is the probable best case scenario. Mild antecedent air mass and a ~980 mb low taking a favorable track for us are a precarious position to be in. I buy the signal at this point (997 mb low over IND on the EPS mean) that there's more likely than not to be a follow up system to the Tuesday rainer and it's probably our only chance until the last week of February.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 8:15 PM, Chicago Storm said:

For the first 1/3rd of February as a whole, we will continue evolution to another pattern. We will once again revert back to a less consistent wintery pattern (And less active for a bit in general), one that features the best chance of snow and cold being across MN/WI/MI, and needing to more rely on threading the needle elsewhere. We will see a combination of a NAO hovering around neutral, a +EPO, the PNA around or just south of neutral, the lower atmospheric PV lobe center shifting north and an MJO expected to transition from phase 3 to 4.

As we head into the first portion of the middle 1/3rd of February there are some strong signals of wanting to head towards a -EPO/-PNA/big SE ridge pattern. This not only has solid ENS support at this long range, but is also heavily supported by the projected MJO movement as well. However, the one wild card will continue to be the SPV, which continues to be taking hits...and could have hand in altering things in a different way. Still awhile off from this period, so we'll see how it trends with time.

Things have panned out as anticipated for the first 1/3rd of February, with most things looking on track for what was expected as we head into the middle 1/3rd of February as well.

We will indeed be shifting into a pattern dominated by a -PNA, with SE ridging flexing quite a bit from time to time as well. It appears we will have more of a neutral-ish EPO, with rolling ridges instead of a strong/significant firmly entrenched. The lower atmosphere PV lobe will continued to be centered north, across Northern Canada, north of the Hudson generally. Across the CONUS, the look of this pattern is what you'd expect to see with the MJO swinging through phases 4-5-6, as it is doing so. This will once again lead to the best chances for cool temps/snow to be across MN/WI/MI, with thread the needle potential needed elsewhere and mild temps more often than not. The one thing to watch will be the continued disruption of the SPV as we move forward. This, along with a few other factors, will aide in cold air rebuilding a bit across Canada. So it would not be surprising to get a shot brief shot of colder temps across more of the sub-forum if we can get a decent storm system to roll through the region (See the current Euro for that fantasy outcome).

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-6376000.thumb.png.a6d2a72fc6ff0f53ab01cfa1d2e21341.png

304373191_ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-6764800(1).thumb.png.af7f89619ea78f1c5a573070c078aaf8.png

As we head into the final 1/3rd of February, it appears a similar pattern will continue to start, with a -PNA/SE flexing ridge, though possibly with more of a -EPO developing by then. This idea is very much supported by the ENS and the continued MJO movement from phases 5-6-7 by then. As we head deeper into the final 1/3rd of February, I do expect we see the pattern take another shift though. More on that down the road...

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-7002400.thumb.png.608aaffdaa8833f95fb5f316099e04e9.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

The usual caveats apply, but the weeklies bring Winter back from late February lasting right through March

They said the same thing a month ago that the cold would/could last well into Feb. We see how that worked out. The pattern is what it is this season. Third week cold spell of a week or two, then major retreating of the arctic air. The pending outcome of this recent SWE ofc could be the one reason this time it breaks differently but I'm not ready to bite quite yet. 

7 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Wagons west on mid to late week storm on 12z euro

I wonder if there is a sweet spot of separation between the lead system and this one to make it work for Illinois.  If it comes out too quickly, it will tend to cut toward a similar track as the first system.  But if it comes out too slowly, then it also gives it a chance to cut farther nw.  

Probably a serious/difficult thread the needle for many of us.

2 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

pulling for a continued trend nw, to get us into the 60’s and a severe wx op.

I'm totally expecting to be in no man's land in between the snow and severe threat.  I've thrown just about all optimism for exciting wx out the window at this point.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I wonder if there is a sweet spot of separation between the lead system and this one to make it work for Illinois.  If it comes out too quickly, it will tend to cut toward a similar track as the first system.  But if it comes out too slowly, then it also gives it a chance to cut farther nw.  

Probably a serious/difficult thread the needle for many of us.

Story of this winter. Lol. I expect non-events anymore. But I'm with Chicago Storm. Root for continued nw trend. Bring on severe wx. 

3 minutes ago, Blizzard22 said:

Aren’t you worried about sun angle in March ?

That's more of a problem for long-lasting snow retention or when rates are too light.  Heavy enough rates will overcome the sun angle in March, April, and even May if it were to snow hard enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1