• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2022/23 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

The CFS stuff on their crappy in house site never looks like the output on WxBell and Tropical Tidbits. Progression on that output looks pretty similar to the other ensemble data. Not sure why there's such a large discrepancy. Might be worth emailing CPC.

I will say that I personally rarely go to the CPC page for the CFSv2, and don't really look at it much even on the other sites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

The CFS stuff on their crappy in house site never looks like the output on WxBell and Tropical Tidbits. Progression on that output looks pretty similar to the other ensemble data. Not sure why there's such a large discrepancy. Might be worth emailing CPC.

I will say that I personally rarely go to the CPC page for the CFSv2, and don't really look at it much even on the other sites.

Exactly. I always look at the one on weatherbell. The only thing worth looking at on the actual CFS site is to see if today's graphic will be used as troll material for Cromartie. 

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Exactly. I always look at the one on weatherbell. The only thing worth looking at on the actual CFS site is to see if today's graphic will be used as troll material for Cromartie. 

Hey man, 2 weeks of winter so far.  I'm still waiting since Christmas for it to come back and stay like you said it would...ride the torch has verified more this winter than "pattern change to cold".  ;)

Let's revisit this in early March (Morch) when grass is greening up and birds are singing.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Hey man, 2 weeks of winter so far.  I'm still waiting since Christmas for it to come back and stay like you said it would...ride the torch has verified more this winter than "pattern change to cold".  ;)

Let's revisit this in early March (Morch) when grass is greening up and birds are singing.

1) we've had more than 2 weeks of winter in total
2) I never made predictions how long cold would stay. But I do contribute whether I like the weather or not. I don't disappear when it's mild as you do when it's cold or snowy 
3) the term "torch" was coined right here on the weatherboards in March 2012. The word has lost its meaning when 37° in January is now called a "torch"
4) march 2012 redux is absolutely not happening 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

1) we've had more than 2 weeks of winter in total
2) I never made predictions how long cold would stay. But I do contribute whether I like the weather or not. I don't disappear when it's mild as you do when it's cold or snowy 
3) the term "torch" was coined right here on the weatherboards in March 2012. The word has lost its meaning when 37° in January is now called a "torch"
4) march 2012 redux is absolutely not happening 

An early spring would be nice for once.  A will take a snowstorm in March, but I'm tired of the cold April/May after mild winter trend.  Sadly spring is the one season that has been consistently cool, while every other season is consistently above average.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Powerball said:

Don't be so sure for the Michigan, Ohio and Indiana folks (lake effect clouds)...

Clouds tend to break up more often under the arctic air here.  Snow showers happen, but the instability and arctic dryness aloft mixes out the clouds between bouts of lake-effect.  It's the in-between upper-20s to mid-30s airmasses that lock the stratus deck in for days at a time.  When the clouds are too shallow to precipitate they just sit and create the endless boring gray look.  At least that is what I notice in my own micro-climate downwind of Lake Michigan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Bruh, no it's not.  Looks pretty roasty eastern CONUS.

capture.PNG

Bruh this is 3 days after the image he posted, on the same model. It's a short lived cold shot but my point is this guys literally picking a random image at 150 hours and saying Winter is over. Although, I looked him up, he's in Boston. With the southeast ridge battling increasing cold in Canada, Boston will likely have less cold than Milwaukee.

Screenshot_20230209_121519_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, frostfern said:

An early spring would be nice for once.  A will take a snowstorm in March, but I'm tired of the cold April/May after mild winter trend.  Sadly spring is the one season that has been consistently cool, while every other season is consistently above average.

I like cold springs. I'm the opposite of cromartie. I like every season colder than it should be lol. I havent looked at electric Grand Rapids, but here Winter has not been consistently mild. 
2022-23: mild
2021-22: avg
2020-21: avg
2019-20: mild
2018-19: avg
2017-18: cold
2016-17: mild
2015-16: mild
2014-15: cold
2013-14: cold.
The most consistency lately has been hot summers.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Bruh this is 3 days after the image he posted, on the same model. It's a short lived cold shot but my point is this guys literally picking a random image at 150 hours and saying Winter is over. Although, I looked him up, he's in Boston. With the southeast ridge battling increasing cold in Canada, Boston will likely have less cold than Milwaukee.

Screenshot_20230209_121519_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm popping popcorn -- you hungry?

capture.PNG

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Baum started the last and only threat that delivered for my backyard for the Jan 25 storm so I nominate him. Plus I think he's a chicago poster and it's bullseye for him for now

Let's do a poll or something and everyone can enter their names. Got nothing better to do in the interim anyway