• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2022/2023

bwt3650

I'm fine with this docile start to December. My septic tank partially collapsed mid September and I've had a hell of a time finding someone to come replace it. The septic guy had come to pump and was digging up the cover when it collapsed. Poor guy almost went swimming but he managed to jump to stable ground as it gave way. Finally think I've found someone- tentatively this Friday! It will be a relief to finally get this taken care of.

(Old steel 750 gal tank- house was built in 65 so I can imagine it's the original tank. The plumbing has been updated in the house, except for the cast iron pipe that runs from the house to the tank. That will be replaced as well. It keeps getting blocked- yay for NH and no septic regulation- Live Free or Die)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dmcginvt said:

How highly anomalous is this.  I have lived in Lamoillle County or Washington County since 87.  I dont recall us being this bare in a long time.  But i also feel like it has happened before.  Anyone got records to share?   Worst december ever records?

Dec 2015. Wall to wall furnace with almost zero snow.  

8 hours ago, dmcginvt said:

How highly anomalous is this.  I have lived in Lamoillle County or Washington County since 87.  I dont recall us being this bare in a long time.  But i also feel like it has happened before.  Anyone got records to share?   Worst december ever records?

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Dec 2015. Wall to wall furnace with almost zero snow.  

December 2006 was awful too. El Niño winter with pretty much nothing until early February '07. Then NNE made up a lot of ground in the second half that year starting with the Valentine's Day storm.

It’s bare here too at 1850..some up top, but not much. A few years back I remember a thanksgiving wash out to bare here, but not sure how long it took to get it back.

15 hours ago, dmcginvt said:

2001-02 comes to mind, back in my high school days. And it shows how you can turn this around into a decent year. 452BFD11-AFE4-4B77-BF13-67B288A83CF1.thumb.jpeg.9b70ffdacf38ddeaca3ed76224da8082.jpeg

But it feels like we need this one next week.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

December 2006 was awful too. El Niño winter with pretty much nothing until early February '07. Then NNE made up a lot of ground in the second half that year starting with the Valentine's Day storm.

Man the snow after valentnes day.  It went till late april it was just silly just kept on snowing and snowing

• Like 1

Finally, after almost 3 months, my septic tank was replaced today!!! 

I am so relieved and happy. 3 months of living with a partially collapsed tank and an open hole in the ground, has come to an end.

They also found the original cast-iron pipe from the house to the tank had a plastic connector piece that disintegrated and was tangled in a tree root. I had 2 blockages in the past year so now I know why. My 2 propane tanks also sat right over where the bad connector was and a sink hole was starting to develope. I had the tanks moved end of October because they were in the way of where the excavator needed to dig. I can only imagine more of the ground collapsing and my propane tanks falling into the open septic pit...

I lucked out big time! 

Very grateful the winter has started off slow!

• Like 2

On 12/10/2022 at 12:59 AM, dmcginvt said:

For the local valleys around here, this shouldn’t be considered that anomalous.  Here’s the snow depth at our site in Waterbury on 12/10 for the past several seasons:

2007: 10.0”

2008: Trace

2009: 8.0”

2010: 7.0”

2011: 1.0”

2012: 0.5”

2013: 2.0”

2014: 7.0”

2015: 0.0”

2016: 3.0”

2017: 1.5”

2018: 9.0”

2019: 2.0”

2020: 3.5”

2021: 3.0”

So out of those 15 seasons, there’s one with no snow, one with a trace, and one with less than inch at our stake.  The mean snow depth here at our site for 12/10 is 4.1 ± 3.4”, so having 0.0” at the stake is 1.21 S.D. below the mean; thus the data indicate it should occur in 11.2% of seasons.  That’s basically once every 9 or 10 seasons that we should see bare ground on 12/10, and there are roughly one to two of them in our 15-year set of data (the trace value can sort of go either way – there may not have been snow at the exact location of my stake, but a trace means there is at least snow on our property somewhere).

So, it certainly happens.  It began snowing here around 12:30 P.M. today though, and with temperatures well below freezing it started to accumulate immediately.  If the temperatures stay cold as the forecast suggests, there would probably be at least a trace at the stake for tomorrow morning’s reading.

This early part of the season can really be inconsistent for snow cover in the valleys, even in a fairly reliable snow spot like ours.  We did just have our 7th white Thanksgiving in a row this year though, so that’s an example of the early season snowpack variability in the other direction.

• Like 4

Good evening NNE crew! Maybe some have noticed the lack of posts from me so far this season, and assumed it was due to the slow start to winter. While partially true...the real reason is that I have relocated to southern NH with my (now) fiance. Leaving the mountains was obviously a VERY difficult decision, especially since I just arrived in 2020, but this was an extremely positive life change and let's face it...there is more to live than skiing and (gulp) weather.

Make no mistake, we will be visiting the mountains with extreme frequency this winter but our place of residence is Salem NH now. At least I'm still in the Granite State! I have a feeling our future will ultimately point north again at some point.

I'm traveling for work this evening but on the flip side there was probably more snow tonight in Salem than there was in Jackson :lol:

Cheers to an historic rally in the next few weeks...

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, alex said:

Actually getting more than expected here, closing in on an inch. Had dinner at Thorn Hill in Jackson and there wasn’t anything when we got there, but was all covered by the time we left. Not nice to drive in through the Notch in, but nice to see

Thought the same here with around 1.5" on my wife's car.

11 hours ago, jculligan said:

Good evening NNE crew! Maybe some have noticed the lack of posts from me so far this season, and assumed it was due to the slow start to winter. While partially true...the real reason is that I have relocated to southern NH with my (now) fiance. Leaving the mountains was obviously a VERY difficult decision, especially since I just arrived in 2020, but this was an extremely positive life change and let's face it...there is more to live than skiing and (gulp) weather.

Make no mistake, we will be visiting the mountains with extreme frequency this winter but our place of residence is Salem NH now. At least I'm still in the Granite State! I have a feeling our future will ultimately point north again at some point.

I'm traveling for work this evening but on the flip side there was probably more snow tonight in Salem than there was in Jackson :lol:

Cheers to an historic rally in the next few weeks...

I will think of you often during those storms where you’re getting slammed and I’m smoking exhaust. I’m in Boscawen just north west of Concord. By the way. Good thing about New Hampshire is no matter where you are. The snow in the mountains are never too far away!

3 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Well, with the SNE weenies having a melt, I assume Friday looks good for us up here?

Most models/members of ensembles show 6+. Still a few days out but it’s looking good; even better is the fact that the storm seems to mark the beginning of a snowy period, with lots of upslope chances in addition to storms. Fingers crossed… I’m ready for the glades :)

• Like 1

Most models/members of ensembles show 6+. Still a few days out but it’s looking good; even better is the fact that the storm seems to mark the beginning of a snowy period, with lots of upslope chances in addition to storms. Fingers crossed… I’m ready for the glades

It looks like even some of the missed out to sea still put the lows in good spots for upslope…fake snow season starts this weekend!