Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2022/2023

bwt3650

34 minutes ago, mreaves said:

8:00 pm measurement was 3.75” on top of the 6.75” I measured at 2:00 so 10.50”. There was a several hour lull but it seems to have picked up again. BTV had my area at 10” up to 15”. Looks like they hit their mark.

You are outpacing me now, although I think I’m dealing with compaction.  I measured that I am up to 8”.  Just took a walk in the big fields nearby, and it seemed more like 10+ walking through it.  After major lull around 5:00 to 7:00, has really picked back up.  Has been next to no wind with this storm.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I love Tim, ski with him, but lol I give him crap for going ballz in every time.  Adding another one to the list to rib him over.

sounds like old Jim Roemer, I met him in the 90's at the backyard, or maybe the 2000's.  Was he your predecessor, I'm pretty sure he did forecating for the mountain back then,  But he was so full of shit maybe he didn't ha!  He would hype every storm but he was right the time Jay got like 40 inches and no one else came close along the spine, he called that and became a hero.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I love Tim, ski with him, but lol I give him crap for going ballz in every time.  Adding another one to the list to rib him over.

Go big or go home I guess?  He was at 30 on his 12/13 report so I guess he went with "can always adjust up".  Seems like a cool dude from his write ups.  Think he heads up here often.  I keep looking at the 3k and I see the great upslope window, but it's like I'm squinting and thinking, ehhh, don't quite see 40" inches.

Either way, probably the right side up storm we needed.  I'd guess some of the low-mid angle natural stuff and woods will be in play next week.  If we can avoid the melt SNE is having with the 24th storm and hold onto frozen, it will be the best end to December in several years.  I'll take it.  

Eyeballing my deck, looks like about 6 so far, but snowing pretty decent right now.

6 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Go big or go home I guess?  He was at 30 on his 12/13 report so I guess he went with "can always adjust up".  Seems like a cool dude from his write ups.  Think he heads up here often.  I keep looking at the 3k and I see the great upslope window, but it's like I'm squinting and thinking, ehhh, don't quite see 40" inches.

Either way, probably the right side up storm we needed.  I'd guess some of the low-mid angle natural stuff and woods will be in play next week.  If we can avoid the melt SNE is having with the 24th storm and hold onto frozen, it will be the best end to December in several years.  I'll take it.  

Eyeballing my deck, looks like about 6 so far, but snowing pretty decent right now.

Tim’s awesome. Great vibe and energy. Someone you enjoy hanging out with because he “gets it” and loves skiing and snow equally.

• Like 1

I decided to wait until the afternoon to head up to Bolton today, figuring I’d let the snow depths continue to build up through the morning, but my younger son and his friends hit the mountain around opening time.  They stayed until midday, and said that they enjoyed some nice soft conditions.  When we asked which way to lean in terms of ski width, the word was to go on the wider side. 

My older son and I headed up toward midafternoon, and temperatures were right around freezing down in the valley with the snow accumulations on the dense side, but temperatures dropped right down into the 20s F in the Bolton Valley Village.  The Bolton Valley Access Road was just wet in the lower elevations, with easy driving up to about 1,500’, and above that point it was snow covered.

With only so much terrain open, the main center portions of the runs had a bit of the new snow, but there was enough traffic that you were generally skiing on the base snow.  The sides and lower traffic areas of the trail held plenty of soft snow though – places where the snow had either been untouched or pushed there by skiers would definitely get you off the subsurface.  The snow was of course much drier than what we were getting down in the valley.  We were quickly reminded it was a storm day in mid-December when the night skiing lights started coming on not too far after 3:00 P.M., and it was getting dark enough that it was nice to have the lighting assist at that point.

I didn’t really make any attempts at officially measuring the new snow, but my son and I both estimated the accumulations at the mountain as of this afternoon were somewhere in the 6-12” range.  I’m surprised to see the mountain coming in with a report of 4-6” new, since we’d already had 6 to 7” down at the house by this afternoon, so I’d say that’s a conservative snow report based on what we encountered.  While we were up there the snowfall rate was close to an inch per hour based on what we found on our car, but nothing outrageous in terms of what the mountains can get for snowfall intensity.  The snowfall was definitely more intense up there than down the valley at our place, as the afternoon period had lighter snowfall than the morning.

16DEC22C.thumb.jpg.54af23b7598a383e40ff45a4bf41cfe6.jpg

16DEC22E.thumb.jpg.622cdbdd41b8a17ed8d6df9295987df1.jpg

16DEC22F.thumb.jpg.3f7ae1403cd6442488011796cc13a08a.jpg

16DEC22D.thumb.jpg.35624a67d3fdb775f2f9f5da4da8b05e.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I didn’t really make any attempts at officially measuring the new snow, but my son and I both estimated the accumulations at the mountain as of this afternoon were somewhere in the 6-12” range.  I’m surprised to see the mountain coming in with a report of 4-6” new, since we’d already had 6 to 7” down at the house by this afternoon, so I’d say that’s a conservative snow report based on what we encountered.  While we were up there the snowfall rate was close to an inch per hour based on what we found on our car, but nothing outrageous in terms of what the mountains can get for snowfall intensity.  The snowfall was definitely more intense up there than down the valley at our place, as the afternoon period had lighter snowfall than the morning.

Up at Mansfield I can say that the snow plots recorded 5-6" of snowfall and I found 6" of wet, dense snow at home right after checking the 1,500ft plot.  It skied much deeper but this sounds very similar to my experience at Stowe.  With the wind and snowfall, one could make the case for a wide range of snowfall over the crusty base layer.  But the plots showed 5-6".  At home there actually was more accumulation for whatever reason, even given the lower elevation.

It was very odd to be honest.

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I decided to wait until the afternoon to head up to Bolton today, figuring I’d let the snow depths continue to build up through the morning, but my younger son and his friends hit the mountain around opening time.  They stayed until midday, and said that they enjoyed some nice soft conditions.  When we asked which way to lean in terms of ski width, the word was to go on the wider side. 

My older son and I headed up toward midafternoon, and temperatures were right around freezing down in the valley with the snow accumulations on the dense side, but temperatures dropped right down into the 20s F in the Bolton Valley Village.  The Bolton Valley Access Road was just wet in the lower elevations, with easy driving up to about 1,500’, and above that point it was snow covered.

With only so much terrain open, the main center portions of the runs had a bit of the new snow, but there was enough traffic that you were generally skiing on the base snow.  The sides and lower traffic areas of the trail held plenty of soft snow though – places where the snow had either been untouched or pushed there by skiers would definitely get you off the subsurface.  The snow was of course much drier than what we were getting down in the valley.  We were quickly reminded it was a storm day in mid-December when the night skiing lights started coming on not too far after 3:00 P.M., and it was getting dark enough that it was nice to have the lighting assist at that point.

16DEC22D.thumb.jpg.35624a67d3fdb775f2f9f5da4da8b05e.jpg

Kid knows how to plant a pole, there's simply nothing more important to signal upweighting for the turn, it puts you in position to keep your body facing square to downhill.  So lucky to have his dad for so many reasons!

Really missing the cabin in Jackson for this event! They've been under some pretty solid echoes on the radar for quite some time now; thinking this likely eclipsed the largest event I witnessed during the two years I lived up there (14"). I'm really interested in knowing how this treated the eastern slope on Mount Washington. Unfortunately, the automated station at Hermit Lake does not appear to be reporting at this time.

Just a light coating of snow (not really measurable) here in the tropics of Salem NH. Up early to go for a skin at Crotched Mountain in Francestown NH. Man, I miss skiing out the back door lol. Definitely an earlier alarm clock when based in southern NH.

It's pouring snow right now in the last 5 minutes.  Had some huge flakes for 10 minutes and then it just went bonkers with small flakes of density as if it was pouring snowflakes so small it was like rain.  But def snow.  Got about 1/2 in in 10 minutes.  Felt like valentines day for a minute there, but only a minute.  Still the same rain feeling but it's leveled off now...pouring small flakes at a lesser rate

Early PNS from BTV. The 10.9 from the NWS employee a 1 SW E Barre always tracks closely with my measurements and makes me feel a least a little legit. I haven’t measured yet this morning but it looks like another 6”-7” since I measured at 11:30 pm. 

VERMONT

...Addison County...
  Hancock                10.0   900 PM 12/16  Amateur Radio
  Orwell                  8.3   800 PM 12/16  Public
  1 NNW Branbury State    2.5   500 PM 12/16  Public

...Caledonia County...
  St. Johnsbury          12.0   851 PM 12/16  Public
  Walden                  9.0   445 PM 12/16  Public
  Lyndonville             8.5  1250 AM 12/17  Public
  Sutton                  5.6   900 PM 12/16  Co-Op Observer

...Chittenden County...
  2 E Underhill Center    6.5   600 PM 12/16  Public
  2 NNW Williston         3.5   955 PM 12/16  NWS Employee
  1 NE South Burlingto    3.2  1000 PM 12/16  NWS Office
  Underhill               3.2   505 PM 12/16  Public
  Burlington              3.0   900 PM 12/16  Amateur Radio
  Shelburne               2.5   820 PM 12/16  Amateur Radio
  1 E Jericho             1.4   717 PM 12/16  Public

...Essex County...
  Island Pond             6.5   600 PM 12/16  Public
  Maidstone               4.0  1000 PM 12/16  Public
  Norton                  2.0   505 PM 12/16  Public

...Lamoille County...
  Hyde Park               8.0   800 PM 12/16  Amateur Radio
  Morrisville             8.0   930 PM 12/16  Public

...Orange County...
  2 NNW Bradford         13.0  1255 AM 12/17  CoCoRaHS
  Braintree              12.3  1023 PM 12/16  Public
  South Strafford        11.0   652 PM 12/16  Public
  Chelsea                11.0   910 PM 12/16  Public
  Randolph Center        10.0   500 PM 12/16  Trained Spotter
  Randolph               10.0   848 PM 12/16  Public
  Orange                  8.0   520 PM 12/16  Public

...Orleans County...
  4 NNE Greensboro       15.3  1150 PM 12/16  CoCoRaHS
  Irasburg                8.0   900 PM 12/16  Public
  Derby Line              2.0   521 PM 12/16  Public

...Rutland County...
  Shrewsbury             20.2  1057 PM 12/16  2000` elevation
  Belmont                17.0   604 PM 12/16  Public
  Mendon                 16.0   930 PM 12/16  Broadcast Media
  2 SSE Pittsford         5.5   800 PM 12/16  CoCoRaHS
  4 N Rutland             5.0   750 PM 12/16  Public

...Washington County...
  Warren                 12.0   718 PM 12/16  Public
  Northfield             11.0   555 PM 12/16  Public
  1 SW East Barre        10.9   810 PM 12/16  NWS Employee
  Duxbury                 9.0   720 PM 12/16  Public
  East Barre              9.0   800 PM 12/16  Amateur Radio
  Plainfield              7.0   600 PM 12/16  Amateur Radio
  4 ESE Marshfield        7.0   500 PM 12/16  Trained Spotter

...Windsor County...
  3 S Ludlow             19.5   900 PM 12/16  Trained Spotter
  1 NNW Pomfret          17.0  1043 PM 12/16  Public
  Ludlow                 15.0   630 PM 12/16  Public
  1 SE West Norwich      12.1   515 PM 12/16  Public
  Sharon                 11.0   521 PM 12/16  Public
  White River Junction    9.0   600 PM 12/16  Public

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Up at Mansfield I can say that the snow plots recorded 5-6" of snowfall and I found 6" of wet, dense snow at home right after checking the 1,500ft plot.  It skied much deeper but this sounds very similar to my experience at Stowe.  With the wind and snowfall, one could make the case for a wide range of snowfall over the crusty base layer.  But the plots showed 5-6".  At home there actually was more accumulation for whatever reason, even given the lower elevation.

It was very odd to be honest.

Very strange.  Mountain reporting only 10” storm total as of this morning.  I am at 15” + here at 1200’ in E. Montpelier.  

I should've known.  :D 
GYX jinxed itself by dropping their 10-16 forecast for here down to 8-12 yesterday afternoon, though they would've busted low even withe earlier number.  Had 17.0" of 9:1 sticky snow (1.83" LE) at 7 AM with light-mod snow continuing - biggest snowfall since 3/7-9/2018 and 3 more inches would top that one.  Trees are extra loaded, and we went to generator just before 5 AM.  My first check of Maine cocorahs totals had our 17" with 2nd highest a mere 6.8", which seemed very odd.   Recheck a few minutes later showed an observer from the NW part of Farmington with 17.5".  Places like Temple, Bethel, Bridgton haven't sent in their reports yet.

11 hours ago, mreaves said:

Just went out to heat one more measurement before I go to bed. 3.25” since 8:00pm. This last bit seemed less dense as I was shoveling off the back deck. 

2:00 pm - 6.75”

8:00 pm - 3.75”

11:30 pm - 3.25”

Total so far - 13.75”

4” when I measured this morning. Maybe another .25 since then while I’ve been clearing. Creeping up on 18”.