joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 26-27 Storm Threat

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watch it, bub. I'm lurking here. Kidding. :) Hope you all have a great holiday.

As for this storm... I think the NAM is about right now... perhaps a hint west/stronger towards the GFS. I'd like to see the Canadian come around a bit more... but it already made a huge jump and not exactly the best model. I think HPC is overplaying the errors/issues, so I wouldn't disregard the 00Z GFS. Still, I'm leaning closer to the NAM. I'm expecting the impending Euro to shift back west at least 75% of the way to the NAM. Whether or not it comes back all the way, who knows. Remember, the sweet spot for the Euro time-wise is not the 36-72hr forecast range. Don't expect it to be the best model right now... so, as long as it pulls back most of the way, I'm comfortable with a solution close to the NAM... major storm for S & E New England. Not sure the M.A. gets it, like the GFS shows... frankly, I'm flatly unsure there.

Hehe....I saw you lurking when I made that comment. :bike:

Nice to see you post a quick thought Gary. I was a snob/weenie in college when you used to do your thoughts in the 2000-2002 time range. I always read them at milliumweather. Brings back great memories.

I tend to agree with your thoughts. Think the GFS may be a bit too amped up (but as you said...who knows for sure). My guess would be close to the NAM/GGEM/Ukie with a hint of GFS thrown in there.

I mentioned it before that I would find it ironic if the GFS ended up too far NW in this and tricked the Mid-Atlantic that way versus the usual too far south times back in the day and then trended north. But we shall see. Thanks for sharing the thought again.

Merry Christmas to you and friends/family. :)

Yeah Eleanor, this is a tough one.

I'm still wary of the "over trend". Sometimes the models will see something and then go nuts with it only to back off a bit the next run. But given its 60h out, we probably feel pretty good, but then again, we all felt pretty good about where this might go at 72h. :lol:

This is definitely one of the toughest I've seen and one of the biggest model swings in recent times during a system as large as this. I was even reluctant to mention Jan 2005 at all even if it was a reference to the last time we'd have to go back and find a snowfall bigger than what 00z models are showing....because it could just go poof in 1 run and back to a run of the mill warning criteria event for eastern MA/RI with maybe a bigger impact on the Cape.

I'm feeling pretty good about this one, but given how complex the phasing is and the way the models cannot seem to handle it, I'm definitely on guard. The spread on ensembles is still pretty big for this far out. (SREF anyway!!)

BTW, Merry Christmas to you and everyone at the office!!!

Yes, agree totally with you, Will.

The huge swing at 12Z on the GFS really threw me for a loop, as it did the neighboring offices. We do have to be wary in case everything changes back. SREF looked rather interesting, but didn't get a close look before leaving the office last night.

I did trend things up just a bit, at least with the POPs especially for the Cape and islands. Those trends have been consistent...bringing precip in. It's just how far inland and how much QPF (but isn't that usually the biggest problems??? <along with ptype>). It'll be interesting to see the EC (hey anybody have a good URL to see this?) and what it does.

A very Merry Christmas to you and Megan!!!

--Turtle ;)

Wow Craig ...good to see you. ...there is a name from the distant IRC past. Hope you get nailed like you used to in Jaffrey for all those years. :)

Hi Eleanor!!! This is Craig Goedecke..former NWS Coop Observer and Skywarn spotter from Jaffrey...living in Hull Mass...400feet from the Atlantic side of the Ocean... give me a ring after Christmas...would love to chat with you...call me at 781-925-6357 home number....Miss ya much and great to see you here on American wx forum!

You younguns who do not remember Gary Gray. I learned so much from him on the old IRC back in the day, he is Millwx here

SP... yup, still in the met field (thankfully... I know many fellow graduates who are doing computers or other stuff, since met jobs aren't exactly plentiful). I'm doing forecasting for a commodities trading firm... a complete change from my previous met career - which was writing software for weather satellite products and analysis. I've been doing this forecasting work for about five years, which is what spelled the end of my discussions/posts (conflict of interest... they forbid me to continue providing forecasts outside of work). Of course, I'm sure just posting about upcoming storms here on a wx forum would hardly be a breach... but I just stopped altogether cuz it was safer/easier. Anyway, I'm back in New England (SW CT) after a long stint in the Mid-Atl... cringing after missing last year in the Mid-Atl.

Blizzard of 2010. Massive hit back to NYC.

This shall forever be known as the Great Christmas Blizzard of 2010....coined by me a few hours ago.

It's great to see the EC catch up to the other models. Looks like it fell in line after the JMA/RGEM and even the NOGAPs/Ukie. Had no place to go I guess. Probably scored better at 500mb though someone and will show to be the best model in this 5 day period somehow.

Archived