Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New England Met Spring Banter 2022

HoarfrostHubb

6 hours ago, weathafella said:

Actually, driving stoned is pretty dangerous.  But you knew that....

It’s as dangerous as folks that drive drunk. They have no reactions . Just driving with no brakes . I have friends that do both that swear weed and gummies is far more dangerous . Accidents likely. Especially on on and off ramps in winds 

• Confused 1

On 4/20/2022 at 4:32 PM, Typhoon Tip said:

has anyone ever taken a technical assessment/eval at Codingame.com ?

Wondering what the questions - it'll likely be true/false and multi-choice for database - will be like. 

Thing is, I'm a notoriously bad exam taker.   I could copy and past the correct answers into the correct fields, and I'd pull down a D-  ...  

I'm kinda annoyed they are asking me to do this.   They reached out to me for this gig... It's not a headhunter, either - the company did.  I come from a certain technology manifold that is similar, but not an exact fit.  They know this.  So I've been through 3 rounds of interviews ( Zoom), aggregating 4 and half hours worth, and now they send me this tech assessment link at the above url... I'm like WHY!  You look me up and waste a day of interviewing to prove I'm not a fit?   ... 

'Course, I'm just pissy because I hate taking test, too.   Still, a- nnoying

Just saw this but google it- I think they have different testing modules depending on language. You will at least get a feel for how that particular service does their exams.

it is odd that they are asking you to do it after approaching you for the role. Bizarro world. We used similar things to test python and sql for lower level roles- just to make sure no ones time was wasted.  Maybe it’s a company standard- no way around it, like a proverbial drug test. Anyways- good luck.

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s as dangerous as folks that drive drunk. They have no reactions . Just driving with no brakes . I have friends that do both that swear weed and gummies is far more dangerous . Accidents likely. Especially on on and off ramps in winds 

Well…not zactly (but still don’t)

355E02B7-BC78-47B0-AC60-6A245E21E7F5.webp

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Well…not zactly (but still don’t)

355E02B7-BC78-47B0-AC60-6A245E21E7F5.webp

Yeah there are a lot of studies showing alcohol as far worse and many accidents with THC also have alcohol on-board.  The absolute worst is proven to be both as they enhance each other… but THC on its own has mixed results in driving studies.

This is in no way advertising that it’s safe, as DWI is DWI (which specifically is failing to pass field sobriety tests/FST as a measure of being under the influence).  Prescription drugs have been found to be more likely to lead to failed FSTs than operators with THC.

“In driving studies, marijuana produces little or no car-handling impairment – consistently less than produced by moderate doses of alcohol and many legal medications.

Mixing marijuana and alcohol together amplifies potential risks. Surveys show that when THC is detected in the blood of fatally injured drivers, alcohol is often detected as well.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722956/

“Detrimental effects of cannabis use vary in a dose-related fashion, and are more pronounced with highly automatic driving functions than with more complex tasks that require conscious control, whereas alcohol produces an opposite pattern of impairment. Because of both this and an increased awareness that they are impaired, marijuana smokers tend to compensate effectively while driving by utilizing a variety of behavioral strategies. Combining marijuana with alcohol eliminates the ability to use such strategies effectively, however, and results in impairment even at doses which would be insignificant were they of either drug alone. Epidemiological studies have been inconclusive regarding whether cannabis use causes an increased risk of accidents; in contrast, unanimity exists that alcohol use increases crash risk.”

• Thanks 2

This stuff is fairly fascinating to be honest going down the rabbit hole… I’ve never really read up on it but there are a lot of studies out there that seem to show how being under the influence of different substances directly relate to your “risk taking” and subsequent driving ability and fatality risk.

Alcohol drinkers underestimate their level of impairment and drive faster, taking more risks and overtake vehicles ahead of them.  THC users in national studies actually overestimate their level of impairment, are aware of it and slow down, increase distances between vehicles and do not overtake other vehicles as compensation.  THC users slow down and do not maintain higher speeds even when directed to by researchers, while alcohol users increase their speed when directed to maintain.

“Surprisingly, given the alarming results of cognitive studies, most marijuana-intoxicated drivers show only modest impairments on actual road tests.37, 38 Experienced smokers who drive on a set course show almost no functional impairment under the influence of marijuana, except when it is combined with alcohol.39

Many investigators have suggested that the reason why marijuana does not result in an increased crash rate in laboratory tests despite demonstrable neurophysiologic impairments is that, unlike drivers under the influence of alcohol, who tend to underestimate their degree of impairment, marijuana users tend to overestimatetheir impairment, and consequently employ compensatory strategies. Cannabis users perceive their driving under the influence as impaired and more cautious,40 and given a dose of 7 mg THC (about a third of a joint), drivers rated themselves as impaired even though their driving performance was not; in contrast, at a BAC 0.04% driving performance was impaired even though drivers rated themselves as unimpaired.41 

This awareness of impairment has behavioral consequences. Several reviews of driving and simulator studies have concluded that marijuana use by drivers is likely to result in decreased speed and fewer attempts to overtake, as well as increased “following distance”. The opposite is true of alcohol.43 One review of eight driving simulator studies and seven on-road studies44found that cannabis use was associated with either poor lane control41, 45–48 or slower driving that successfully maintained lane control.49–51 In seven of ten studies cited, cannabis use was associated with a decrease in driving speed despite explicit instructions to maintain a particular speed, whereas under the influence of alcohol, subjects consistently drove faster. Two simulator studies showed that the tendency to overtake was decreased with cannabis use but increased with alcohol.52, 53”

Not trying to wade into this debate, but I suspect we have much, much more and better data on the impact of alcohol use on driving versus marijuana use.

Legal weed is a new thing, whereas drunk driving has been around since the invention of the automobile.

I suspect being super high makes it pretty hard to drive.

I'm not too experienced with weed but one time after I had some edibles I was really messed up and there is no way I would have been safe to drive. LOL

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Not trying to wade into this debate, but I suspect we have much, much more and better data on the impact of alcohol use on driving versus marijuana use.

Legal weed is a new thing, whereas drunk driving has been around since the invention of the automobile.

I suspect being super high makes it pretty hard to drive.

I'm not too experienced with weed but one time after I had some edibles I was really messed up and there is no way I would have been safe to drive. LOL

Yeah agreed.  Neither is “safe” at all and most of these studies seem to be at low levels of intoxication of both substances (like .04% BAC in that one I quoted)… if you are blasted on anything, you’re gonna have a hard/bad time.

They all also reference “experienced users” of cannabis… so tolerance would be a big factor I’d think.

In general it’s a silly argument, basically “my vice is better than your vice” and past personal history shapes opinions more than anything.

You have an alcoholic family member who you watch it destroy relationships, or you have a family member who sits in their basement taking bong rips dawn to dusk and seems like they are wasting life away… or someone gambling away a mortgage and money for a family, etc those personal experiences will lead to our opinions on different vices much more than anything else.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Texting and driving probably sits behind alcohol but ahead of weed in terms of driving dangers.

People who have never smoked really have no valid opinion on how it effects driving ability . Also driving with 1 or 2 beverages would have little effect on me at all but it’s the folks that are f’n hammered that are too dumb to not drive that really end up having the higher risks of being involved with deadly crash . 16-34 year olds make up 67% of DUI crashes . Give me 5-6 shots of vodka and I’m going to be impulsive, reward seeking and pushing the limits not to mention very little nerves that may check my behavior , give me 5 bong hits and Jesus I’m not driving a car and if I did it would be in the slow lane , and using my directional like a half mile before the exit . I don’t smoke or take edibles and I barely ever drink but I have in the past and I prefer to drive with people who aren’t on any substances at all. However , I won’t hesitate to offend a drunk friend who had too much to drink that thinks they are taking me anywhere but I don’t see that much . Seems to me most folks I know drink but if they are Over 35 and aren’t alcoholics they know when they are good and when they are impaired for the most part . It’s mostly the younger folks involved in the DUI crashes or the older alcoholics that make the bad choices 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This stuff is fairly fascinating to be honest going down the rabbit hole… I’ve never really read up on it but there are a lot of studies out there that seem to show how being under the influence of different substances directly relate to your “risk taking” and subsequent driving ability and fatality risk.

Alcohol drinkers underestimate their level of impairment and drive faster, taking more risks and overtake vehicles ahead of them.  THC users in national studies actually overestimate their level of impairment, are aware of it and slow down, increase distances between vehicles and do not overtake other vehicles as compensation.  THC users slow down and do not maintain higher speeds even when directed to by researchers, while alcohol users increase their speed when directed to maintain.

“Surprisingly, given the alarming results of cognitive studies, most marijuana-intoxicated drivers show only modest impairments on actual road tests.37, 38 Experienced smokers who drive on a set course show almost no functional impairment under the influence of marijuana, except when it is combined with alcohol.39

Many investigators have suggested that the reason why marijuana does not result in an increased crash rate in laboratory tests despite demonstrable neurophysiologic impairments is that, unlike drivers under the influence of alcohol, who tend to underestimate their degree of impairment, marijuana users tend to overestimatetheir impairment, and consequently employ compensatory strategies. Cannabis users perceive their driving under the influence as impaired and more cautious,40 and given a dose of 7 mg THC (about a third of a joint), drivers rated themselves as impaired even though their driving performance was not; in contrast, at a BAC 0.04% driving performance was impaired even though drivers rated themselves as unimpaired.41 

This awareness of impairment has behavioral consequences. Several reviews of driving and simulator studies have concluded that marijuana use by drivers is likely to result in decreased speed and fewer attempts to overtake, as well as increased “following distance”. The opposite is true of alcohol.43 One review of eight driving simulator studies and seven on-road studies44found that cannabis use was associated with either poor lane control41, 45–48 or slower driving that successfully maintained lane control.49–51 In seven of ten studies cited, cannabis use was associated with a decrease in driving speed despite explicit instructions to maintain a particular speed, whereas under the influence of alcohol, subjects consistently drove faster. Two simulator studies showed that the tendency to overtake was decreased with cannabis use but increased with alcohol.52, 53”

Yup. We don’t need studies though to know this ha. 

I think impatience plus anger is the worst offender of all... folks passing in no passing lanes nearly causing head on collisions... likely dead sober... If there were a good reason to implement caning that would be it IMO.  Give me the cautious drunk over the wound up douchebag behind the wheel every single time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This is wild… is this true?  The Sierra saw this little snow in two months from Jan 15 - Mar 15…. And then has more forecast the next two days?

2E0F49BA-9905-4D39-959B-6BE07521850A.thumb.jpeg.bfc85f2651ca2eed90372fd292ecff80.jpeg

Palisades/Squaw reporting 28" in the last 24 hours (and 57" in the last seven days).

Kirkwood hasn't updated yet.

Mammoth 15"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, radarman said:

I think impatience plus anger is the worst offender of all... folks passing in no passing lanes nearly causing head on collisions... likely dead sober... If there were a good reason to implement caning that would be it IMO.  Give me the cautious drunk over the wound up douchebag behind the wheel every single time.

True except there is no such thing as a cautious drunk. Sure if you are below the limit you can somewhat control it and be cautious but a full blown ‘drunk’ cannot. They are dangerous, it’s why they cause over 10k deaths per year on the road and over $44bill in related damages. Almost 30% of all traffic fatalities are from alcohol. Thankfully due to ride sharing, activist groups, and other means…the numbers are on a downward trend over the last 10yrs. However, 2020 saw a spike up so even with less cars on the road, there were more drunks caused fatalities. 

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/drunk-driving/

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

True except there is no such thing as a cautious drunk. Sure if you are below the limit you can somewhat control it and be cautious but a full blown ‘drunk’ cannot. They are dangerous, it’s why they cause over 10k deaths per year on the road and over $44bill in related damages. Almost 30% of all traffic fatalities are from alcohol. Thankfully due to ride sharing, activist groups, and other means…the numbers are on a downward trend over the last 10yrs. However, 2020 saw a spike up so even with less cars on the road, there were more drunks caused fatalities. 

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/drunk-driving/

I'm not here to defend drunk drivers, but I do think the actual roadway behavior is actually more important than the reasoning behind it.  If you get caught sober doing 110 and weaving in and out of traffic you'll be in far less trouble than a guy doing 35 to the right with a taillight out who had a few cocktails.  The former is far more worthy of punishment... but yes the latter is also worthy of punishment.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, radarman said:

I'm not here to defend drunk drivers, but I do think the actual roadway behavior is actually more important than the reasoning behind it.  If you get caught sober doing 110 and weaving in and out of traffic you'll be in far less trouble than a guy doing 35 to the right with a taillight out who had a few cocktails.  The former is far more worthy of punishment... but yes the latter is also worthy of punishment.

First time on Long Island in probably a decade… it’s wild.  I’m a “fast Vermont driver” (which means getting pulled over by State Troopers on I-89 in Waterbury, VT going 77mph) but 77 down here is like you are driving a school bus in the far right lane.

Cars swerving through traffic, changing multiple lanes at once, then going back multiple lanes the other way, no one uses turn signals, ha.  It’s like anarchy.  Sober driving on the Long Island Expressway seems a lot more dangerous than having a couple IPAs at a brewery and doing 35 mph home in Vermont, lol.

All the cops going through NYC just sitting in pull offs reading AMWX forums looking for 276 hour GFS snow events in Maine while traffic moves at 85mph.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

First time on Long Island in probably a decade… it’s wild.  I’m a “fast Vermont driver” (which means getting pulled over by State Troopers on I-89 in Waterbury, VT going 77mph) but 77 down here is like you are driving a school bus in the car right lane.

Cars swerving through traffic, changing multiple lanes at once, then going back multiple lanes the other way, no one uses turn signals, ha.  It’s like anarchy.  Sober driving on the Long Island Expressway seems a lot more dangerous than having a couple IPAs at a brewery and doing 35 mph home in Vermont, lol.

All the cops going through NYC just sitting in pull offs reading AMWX forums looking for 276 hour GFS snow events in Maine while traffic moves at 85mph.

I was on the Island for a wedding last weekend, first time in a long time, and noticed how crazy the driving was too, ridiculous  

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

26954-2014-Subaru-Forester.jpg&f=1&nofb=

I feel like I’m offending people on the Interstate up north going fast and feel like I’m doing the same down south but for going too slow :lol:.

That car is far too clean… tried to Google dirty Honda Pilot on interstate but didn’t come up with anything good.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I feel like I’m offending people on the Interstate up north going fast and feel like I’m doing the same down south but for going too slow :lol:.

That car is far too clean… tried to Google dirty Honda Pilot on interstate but didn’t come up with anything good.

I figured that's a pic on the way back from the dealership the day you bought her... LOL

Although when I get my car washed up north by the time I get home it's dirty again, especially between November and May. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

Interestingly, the fatality rate in VT and NY is very similar (both low by national standards). Massachusetts is the safest state in the country to drive in-despite lots of talk about how crazy its drivers are...

https://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/states/statesfatalitiesfatalityrates.aspx

In my experience, MA drivers are slow and drive very defensively/deliberately, at least on the highway. Like they are all 80 years old in a large Buick. This can lead to them sometimes seeming to be erratic on the roads compared to those who drive in a more "fluid and rapid manner." They don't react as you'd expect and take a while to maneuver, like when changing lanes or merging.

NH has its share of bad drivers. A classic around here is a lifted truck passing 2-4 cars at once on a two lane road right before a blind curve. I haven't been here long and have already seen some near misses with head on collisions.

5 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

Interestingly, the fatality rate in VT and NY is very similar (both low by national standards). Massachusetts is the safest state in the country to drive in-despite lots of talk about how crazy its drivers are...

https://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/states/statesfatalitiesfatalityrates.aspx

It’s definitely a function of population and stereotypes.  You see one driver zipping through lanes in NY but forget the other hundred drivers around you.

And yeah every time I go to Boston I’m like this is madness, :lol:.