• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/12 Significant Storm Likely (Rapidly Intensifying Coastal Storm with Heavy Rain/Wind Changing to possibly significant snow inland/some snow at the coast.

HVSnowLover

11 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Yes with this storm I agree the warm surface, the rain and March don't matter. Once it flips it will be very heavy and stick fast and then all those other factors go out the window.  The factor that matters here is how much decent precip is left when the changeover happens. 

• HVSnowLover changed the title to 3/12 Significant Storm Likely (Rapidly Intensifying Coastal Storm with Heavy Rain/Wind Changing to possibly significant snow inland/some snow at the coast.
6 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Which means you had a pretty garbage winter.

Dont spin it as anything else. haha

How many days did you have snow on the ground in Brooklyn? Even a week?

Considering my average is 27

I'm pretty much near average although slightly below normal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

How often does NYC have snow on the ground for over a week in any winter tbh? 

Last year NYChad snow cover for 25 consecutive days after the February 1 storm. To paint it as a rarity to have snow on the ground for over a week in an entire winter Is just bad information. Granted the three winters before 2020/21 were horrible for snow cover in city. Remember snow cover is also calculated in the Park, most cities don’t keep much snow cover on their sidewalks. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Last year NYChad snow cover for 25 consecutive days after the February 1 storm. To paint it as a rarity to have snow on the ground for over a week in an entire winter Is just bad information. Granted the three winters before 2020/21 were horrible for snow cover in city. Remember snow cover is also calculated in the Park, most cities don’t keep much snow cover on their sidewalks. 

I actually deleted my post because I realize it was off topic but thanks for clarifying. I guess if we are counting snow inside of a park I could see that.  Also last Feb was a bit unusual as we had a very active pattern and multiple snowstorms in the city in Feb.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Welcome :snowman:

Snowman mad:(

Funny how you’re spiking the football already, 24 hours out, it’s going to be funny tomorrow when you get less than an inch to total in NYC lol Watch the models back way off at 0Z tonight. The RGEM and CMC are the closest to reality IMO

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 9

7 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Funny how you’re spiking the football already, 24 hours out, it’s going to be funny tomorrow when you get less than an inch to total in NYC lol Watch the models back way off at 0Z tonight. The RGEM and CMC are the closest to reality IMO

Weren't you hugging the 18Z NAM yesterday that was showing like no snow anywhere SE of the catskills. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Funny how you’re spiking the football already, 24 hours out, it’s going to be funny tomorrow when you get less than an inch to total in NYC lol Watch the models back way off at 0Z tonight. The RGEM and CMC are the closet to reality IMO

It's true that this may not amount to much snow wise in the immediate metro but it wouldn't be because you were right. It's much easier to be a warm weenie and claim a forecast victory in this area as things more often than not don't work out for us in the snow department, espec in March.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

It's true that this may not amount to much snow wise in the immediate metro but it wouldn't be because you were right. It's much easier to be a warm weenie and claim a forecast victory in this area as things more often than not don't work out for us in the snow department, espec in March.

He also treats it as if everyone is expecting a blizzard. I think most people know this is a 1-3 inch event for NYC and immediate suburbs at best but we still track because we like snow and it's the last winter storm of the season. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

You're everything you complain about weenies. You pick and choose models too, just based on lowest output.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

WWAs definitely need to be expanded way to the southeast. With arctic air pouring in, roads will become slippery. Much different from the last event where it was a struggle to accumulate even on colder surfaces. I think I'd go with a 1 to 3 inch forecast for my area, but we can hope models like Euro and HRRR are correct about getting a little more than that.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

There is empirical prediction...Then there is wishcasting.

Wishcasting goes both ways...

We should recognize it in ourselves-if we're going to call it out in others...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

He also treats it as if everyone is expecting a blizzard. I think most people know this is a 1-3 inch event for NYC and immediate suburbs at best but we still track because we like snow and it's the last winter storm of the season. 

Exactly

I'm saying NYC has a shot at 1-3 inches. This will most likely be the last snow of the season.

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Exactly

I'm saying NYC has a shot at 1-3 inches. This will most likely be the last snow of the season.

Big win if there's 1-3 that's for sure. I'm concerned the RGEM shows nothing.     Some bad luck with this system and the last with them being centered around mid-day vs overnight.

10 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Big win if there's 1-3 that's for sure. I'm concerned the RGEM shows nothing.     Some bad luck with this system and the last with them being centered around mid-day vs overnight.

Don't know if I would say RGEM has nothing. It has less than other models, but it does get about 1 inch to NYC. I have a feeling it will increase the amounts on the next couple runs. I love the RGEM but there are too many other models showing that this has a good chance of giving NYC at least a couple inches. I'm less concerned about the midday issue this time too because true arctic air will be rushing in.

• Weenie 1