• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/12 Significant Storm Likely (Rapidly Intensifying Coastal Storm with Heavy Rain/Wind Changing to possibly significant snow inland/some snow at the coast.

HVSnowLover

16 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Sam thing with the flash freeze talk-very rare around here.  These winds will dry out the roads in no time.

Flash freezes are extremely and I mean extremely rare, very specific parameters have to be met for one to happen and even then. @SnoSki14 has predicted (busted) more flash freezes on here in the last 3 years than have actually happened in the entire weather recording history of the NYC metro

• Weenie 1

I have my heat set to 80 degrees and my space heater set to unlimited heat (never turns off) so I can get my bedroom up to 90 degrees to defeat mother nature and her high winds.  I wish we could suck some of this air out into space so we could end these high winds once and for all.  Siphon the air to Mars where it's needed way more than it's needed here!

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

LGA official NWS observer snow total from yesterdays storm: .9" 

It was good tracking, some of this thread was unreadable and I'm sure moderators had to dump salt on particular posts, some jumped off the ship too soon with the post frontal enhancement. 3" - 5" in the hills NW of the city according to OKX. 

Respectable event for Mid-March, as we made a run for the end zone with a field goal and punt into spring.

From last nights AFD:

Winter weather headlines have been dropped with the moderate 
snow band, associated with mid level deformation zone ahead of 
approaching mid level trough axis, sliding off SE CT/E LI 
shortly. Travelers should still exercise extra caution 
overnight for blowing snow for NW hills where 3 to 5" of powdery
snow fell, and locally snow covered and icy untreated roads and
walkways for much of the rest of the region from a dusting to 
couple of inches.
  • Like 1

Got maybe 3 inches here for a WSW for 4-7 inches.  But I'm on the Hudson river in Orange county, this setup should have been better for central and Western orange.   We did not drop our plows until the main show batch was gone.   We dumped salt while it was snowing heavy, knowing the batch would stop around 1230ish.   We let the March Sun angle and salt wear down the snow in roads (small town, we don't do the highways that run through, state roads) leaving it slushy with blacktop showing.   Very easy cleanup after and put more salt down after the last wave came through

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Our town must have put the rest of their rock salt supply down last night-roads are white with all the salt dust flying around

Salt distributors have municipalities by the balls.  Each fall we have to guess how much salt we will need for winter.  We ordered 550tons I think.  If we don't get all 550ton delivered by end of winter, they charge a "storage fee".   If we run out and have to order more, you guess it, they raise the prices on next delivery.   

Update to the storm's progress into Labrador ... probably not quite a Canadian low pressure record if the 940.2 mb of 1-20-1977 (St Anthony NL) is correct as per Chris Burt's Wunderground blog. The lowest at Cartwright on the southeast coast of Labrador was 946 mb as the low tracked close to that location about eight hours ago. It is shown over the Labrador Sea at 932 mbs and current model depictions take it to 930 mb around 58N directly south of Greenland's southern tip. 

Just a note about "NL" designation, back in the day Newfoundland was the full name of the province and NF was used, but that changed to Newfoundland and Labrador so nowadays NL is used for all locations including those on the island (where 95% of the province's people reside). Labrador is almost uninhabited other than a cluster of towns inland near the Goose Bay air force base and Churchill Falls hydro dam.

If you are familiar with the outline of Labrador even on a basic weather chart, you will know that there's a large inlet (known as Lake Melville although it is a salt water extension of Hamilton Inlet) in south-central Labrador, and the towns mentioned are near the western end of the Lake. Cartwright is located on the second fairly prominent inlet that is south of that larger one. There has been a weather station there for about a century even though it is a very small place (about 500 people).

Cartwright is one of about half a dozen outports along the coast, Hopedale is further north to the north of Hamilton Inlet, and a number of small towns including Red Bay are located on the Strait of Belle Isle across from the northern peninsula of Newfoundland. There is a road connection up the inland portion of the east coast to Cartwright (a ferry connects the coast to roads in Newfoundland) and you can also get to Goose Bay from Sept Isles Quebec and Labrador City located in the far west of Labrador. 

Cartwright has been reporting severe blizzard conditions all day, heavy snow, NW winds now in the range of 40-60 mph and temperatures of about -8 C. I will see if they come up with a snowfall total tomorrow and report back on that. It's possible that some uninhabited portion of the coast had a reading close to 940 mb as the low tracked out to sea but that won't count as a record. 

• Like 2

I looked up their climate data, the average winter snowfall is 182" and the maximum snow depth on record is 138" on Apr 7, 2003. They could perhaps make a killing hosting weather weenies, I live in a fairly snowy location but these numbers are like you might see on Mount Baker or high up in the Coast Ranges of BC. They have a cool, foggy summer but occasional visits from hot air masses so it has been up to 98F in July once. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

I looked up their climate data, the average winter snowfall is 182" and the maximum snow depth on record is 138" on Apr 7, 2003. They could perhaps make a killing hosting weather weenies, I live in a fairly snowy location but these numbers are like you might see on Mount Baker or high up in the Coast Ranges of BC. They have a cool, foggy summer but occasional visits from hot air masses so it has been up to 98F in July once. 

wow we had a big snowstorm on that day in April 2003, between 6-8 inches here.  Did that storm hit there too?

16 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

Any pics of the storm?   Must be some incredible drifts!

Just a follow up, that record low pressure was at the location I mentioned (Cartwright) and the station nowadays does not record daily precip amounts, unfortunately, just temperatures and pressures hourly. There may be a record of the snowfall somewhere but it's not on the historical weather section of the official website for Canada. As to pictures, would imagine it looks something like the remaining part of this post: 

----- ^ ____ ^ ----- ---- : : ------

(stunted trees) ------ (truck)