• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/12 Significant Storm Likely (Rapidly Intensifying Coastal Storm with Heavy Rain/Wind Changing to possibly significant snow inland/some snow at the coast.

HVSnowLover

This thing is really moving along at warp speed, the dynamics could be quite intense. Thunder-sleet to heavy wind-driven snow for a few hours then clearing rapidly. (for NYC metro), and could see severe thunderstorms ahead of the sharp temp drop in eastern LI and se MA. Road crews will be confronted by flash freeze conditions shortly after the sleet begins. Think this will be particularly bad in ne NJ, lower Hudson and sw CT, gridlock traffic likely to develop as it will be mid-day Saturday in NYC metro unless people heed the weather warnings. Would expect something like 3-5" at most airports but 1.5-2 for Islip. 0.25 to 0.40" sleet l.e. before the snow portion. All gone by Monday. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The model forecasts are very unusual for mid-March. I can’t remember the last time that NYC started as rain and 40s then changed to accumulating snow without a closed upper low. Progressive systems like this usually dry out before the rain can change over to snow. But it may be the all-time March record cold with this TPV phase that the models are keying in on.

2 consecutive monthly record low temperatures is impressive.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

National Weather Service still not biting for much of a snow threat in the immediate NYC metro, in fact you've got to get to Orange County before you find an Advisory. Expected accumulation in CPK is 0.6 and the high end amount is 2.

If 12z runs come in showing the same thing(shift east) they will probably jump aboard.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

National Weather Service still not biting for much of a snow threat in the immediate NYC metro, in fact you've got to get to Orange County before you find an Advisory. Expected accumulation in CPK is 0.6 and the high end amount is 2.

If 12z continues the trend I would expect advisories to start flying for NE NJ and lower westchester. Most guidance now gives Orange County a 4-6” snowfall

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, snywx said:

If 12z continues the trend I would expect advisories to start flying for NE NJ and lower westchester. Most guidance now gives Orange County a 4-6” snowfall

And I’m one county away with WSW for 7-12, I don’t see the 12 for my area (that’d be elevation dependent) but 7-8” is a realistic goalpost 

ends up being kind of pointless in the end considering it’ll be vaporized by Wednesday but hey, we take what we can get especially if this is the end 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

And I’m one county away with WSW for 7-12, I don’t see the 12 for my area (that’d be elevation dependent) but 7-8” is a realistic goalpost 

ends up being kind of pointless in the end considering it’ll be vaporized by Wednesday but hey, we take what we can get especially if this is the end 

What’s sad is even with the 3/9 event and tomorrow’s potential we still barely break 30” for the season. What a disaster

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

43 minutes ago, snywx said:

Agree, and the WWA posted for Orange County is in that advisory criteria. Winter Storm Warning would be for 6”+ up this way. 
It will be interesting too see what the 12z runs show coming up.

1 hour ago, ILoveWinter said:

Not surprised given the unusual setup. They'll likely be behind the ball until the event begins. 

• HVSnowLover changed the title to 3/12 Significant Storm Likely (Rapidly Intensifying Coastal Storm with Heavy Rain/Wind Changing to possibly significant snow inland/some snow at the coast.
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic