Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 13-14 snowstorm/nor’easter potential

George001

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I’m currently at all time ratter by a wide margin.   It’s early February and the Berkshires have about 3” of snow cover.  Unreal. 

Yea, its really a fluke that this winter has been so abysmal across the interior...no rhyme or reason for it. I won't use the "L" word because it will trigger so many, but you get my drift.

If I had my choice, I would have traded the 1' of sand in the blizzard for the futility record.

15 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I’m currently at all time ratter by a wide margin.   It’s early February and the Berkshires have about 3” of snow cover.  Unreal. 

I seldom get involved in this sort of subjective banter but ...in the spirit of commiseration I will add, this is different than 2012 was.

That year had considerably fewer circumstantial chances - in a way... you give it prize/recognition to that seasons as a distinct sort of event in itself.

This year seems to be achieving startlingly poor return numbers, despite ( or perhaps "in spite" of ) several qualitative contenders.   This is where the damnable devil of the comparison resides:  in the relativity between the two years.   This year, to me, is far in a way the worse "luck" ( for lack of better word). 

It's kind of like 2012 was the slowest kid in the class.  You wouldn't send that poor bloke into a Chess tourney and expect anything better. But this year?  This year may take the prize in wasted potential... I remember 1994-1995 as the king piece of shit year, and still did as of this last November.  Because again ... 2012 was so unique, it sort of on an appreciative island phenomenon.  But this may beat 1994-1995 - we still have time.  That year had a bomb that did not disappoint in February. This year had a "blizzard" that for lack of better word, felt like it cheated to earn distinction.  It was interesting... doing so with least impact plausible to still get that done.  LOL. 

That's commiseration

• Like 2

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

Given the GFS continues to get better with the NRN stream you can hope its crapping the bed with the dampening of the SRN stream which even now after all the improvements it still regularly does...the 06z Euro was definitely "better" than the 12Z GFS so I would not toss this one yet.  

Thanks for dropping in. Yea that's what I see but kept quiet less the me oh my sharks devour me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I seldom get involved in this sort of subjective banter but ...in the between the two years.   This year, to me, is far in a way the worse "luck" ( for  This year had a "blizzard" that for lack of better word, felt like it cheated to earn distinction.  It was interesting... doing so with least impact plausible to still get that done.  LOL. 

That's commiseration

11 sites with blizzard conditions over 6 hours some with 12 and it cheated?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Given the GFS continues to get better with the NRN stream you can hope its crapping the bed with the dampening of the SRN stream which even now after all the improvements it still regularly does...the 06z Euro was definitely "better" than the 12Z GFS so I would not toss this one yet.  

Good post…always like having you post in here. Not looking promising, but maybe the Euro can show something ? 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I seldom get involved in this sort of subjective banter but ...in the spirit of commiseration I will add, this is different than 2012 was.

That year had considerably fewer circumstantial chances - in a way... you give it prize as a distinct sort of event in itself.

This year seems to be achieving startlingly poor return numbers, with several qualitative contenders.   This is where the damnable devil of the comparison resides:  in the relativity between the two years.   This year, to me, is far in a way the worse "luck" ( for lack of better word). 

It's kind of like 2012 was the slowest kid in the class.  You wouldn't send that poor bloke into a Chess tourney and expect anything better. But this year?  This year may take the prize in wasted potential... I remember 1994-1995 as the kind piece of shit year, and still do.  Because 2012 was so unique it sort of an appreciative island phenomenon.  But this may been 1994-1995.  That year had a bomb that did not disappoint in February. This year had a "blizzard" that for lack of better word, felt like it cheated to earn distinction.  It was interesting... doing so with least impact plausible to still get that done.  LOL. 

That's commiseration

Absolutely.

100%.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Which gives you idea of what was on the table....this could have had February 2013 coverage.

But it's not cheating if it effects millions of people in a big metro area. I don't agree with that. What could have been in terms of aerial coverage and what occurred I think are different things.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

But it's not cheating if it effects millions of people in a big metro area. I don't agree with that. What could have been in terms of aerial coverage and what occurred I think are different things.

Yes...cheated in terms of aerial coverage. I figured that difference was implicit. I understand the amount of people that experienced around 2' of snow with several hours of blizzard conditions.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes...cheated in terms of aerial coverage. I figured that difference was implicit. I understand the amount of people that experienced around 2' of snow with several hours of blizzard conditions.

A blizzard is defined by metrics, not aerial coverage, so I don't agree with Tip. Maybe he worded it wrong.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

A blizzard is defined by metrics, not aerial coverage, so I don't agree with Tip. Maybe he worded it wrong.

Well, whatever....you know what I mean. By the strict definition, yes....certainly a historic blizzard....but not up there with upper tier systems such as Feb 2013 in terms of aerial impact.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, whatever....you know what I mean. By the strict definition, yes....certainly a historic blizzard....but not up there with upper tier systems such as Feb 2013 in terms of aerial impact.

No that one likely may be a one timer in terms of impacts and what it did. It's up there with '78.   

But I will say, that ( two weeks ago)  was  probably the harshest conditions I have seen for so many hours. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Like I said ... I don't typically engage in the subjective tenor with this stuff, because of the semantic bullshitness of it.

I said, it got it done with the least plausible amount necessary to do so - focus on that.  Which it did, sorry!

plus, the storm left a lot on the table.

• Like 1